Author Topic: Indians.  (Read 4921 times)

Indians.
« on: 18 September, 2019, 11:52:04 am »
I was mainly impressed by their sense of humour. But the weather and the hills were way out of their comfort zone, in general.

Re: Indians.
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2019, 09:00:20 pm »
But the weather and the hills were way out of their comfort zone, in general.

Given the small percentage of  Indian finishers vs. Indian entrants that is a slight understatement.

I kept bumping into one Indian rider who was clearly struggling with the hills . I would overtake him (At just over 14 stones weight ,I am not a whippet) and leave him behind but he obviously didn't hang about at the controls as he was able to leapfrog me on at least two occasions.
I hope he finished, as he clearly had the willpower.

« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2019, 11:49:27 pm »
The last time I finished PBP was in 2011. I weighed about 103 Kg, but I can do a 25 mile circuit from my front door that has 2,000 feet of climbing. There was a 10 mile time trial once a week five miles away, except on the third week of the month, when it was a 25. I did the Mersey Roads 24 Hour ride less than a month before the PBP.
The weather conditions are broadly similar in Brittany to Lancashire, perhaps a bit warmer during the day.

So in terms of cycling culture, it's difficult to imagine anywhere more suitable. The rest of the world is open to debate. The Belgians did well, but even they found the cobbled finish a bit odd.

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2019, 04:38:24 pm »
They seemed to be having a great time.
A big bunch 30? passed me on the last section.
Perhaps they where chasing a cut off time as they seemed urgent but in good spirits