Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 9611 times)

Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2021, 05:22:44 pm »
No intention of falling from it  :) I'm also unlikely to be cornering fast enough to cause it to be unstable at the moment as I'm trying to fight my way back to basic fitness. I'll have to dig out my helmet though and check it is still OK - been quite a while since that has seen light of day.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2021, 05:40:51 pm »
Looking at kit, there is a suggestion on the BHPC website that elbow protectors are worn if on a non-hard shell faired bike. Is that also the case for trikes? I'll be on a Trice XL.

It's merely a suggestion.

Personally, I didn't bother when I raced[1] on barakta's ICE Sprint last season, but do use them on the Red Baron.  Combination of how likely I am to fall off, and relative speed through corners.

Elbows, hands and hip/arse are the classic falling-off-a-recumbent-bike injuries.  I reckon mitts are sensible on anything.  I recall one of our members endorsing goalkeeper's shorts as hip protection, though they're hardly aero and a potential bee hazard.

[1] I use the term loosely.
Goalkeeper's padded undershorts would not be a bee hazard and only marginally less aero than cycle shorts. They might look a bit weird, and possibly borderline indecent, but that's hardly a consideration while racing.
https://www.great-save.com/goalkeeper-clothing-goalkeeper-kit/lightweight-padded-goalkeeper-shorts/precision-neoprene-padded-goalkeeping-short.html
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2021, 09:09:41 pm »
Seems I don’t need to pretend to be a Team Manager after all, just dust down my hi-viz weskit and pretend to be a marshal  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2021, 09:45:36 pm »
Seems I don’t need to pretend to be a Team Manager after all, just dust down my hi-viz weskit and pretend to be a marshal  :thumbsup:

Ah good, someone to scare away the dog-emptiers before Slash gets them.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...