Author Topic: 20" 406 tyres for recumbents  (Read 6024 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: 20" 406 tyres for recumbents
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2021, 12:28:13 pm »
There is a famous picture* of Andy Pegg hurling a Windcheetah through the left-hander hairpin at Eastway with the inside front tyre** bent almost through a right angle without coming off the rim.  Though if you treated them like that they didn’t last long; my grate frend Mr Sheen completely trashed a pair in about an hour of racing in spite of swapping them over during the lunch break.

* Someone remind me to scan and post it when I'm on the Proper Computer
** 32-369 Wolber-Moulton

I'd humbly suggest that if you're doing that sort of thing, you probably won't be considering solid tyres...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2021, 12:54:25 pm »
There is a famous picture* of Andy Pegg hurling a Windcheetah through the left-hander hairpin at Eastway with the inside front tyre** bent almost through a right angle without coming off the rim.  Though if you treated them like that they didn’t last long; my grate frend Mr Sheen completely trashed a pair in about an hour of racing in spite of swapping them over during the lunch break.

* Someone remind me to scan and post it when I'm on the Proper Computer
** 32-369 Wolber-Moulton

I'd humbly suggest that if you're doing that sort of thing, you probably won't be considering solid tyres...

Ah, I missed that proviso.  I may post the picture anyway, 4 teh LOLZ0RZ.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2021, 02:10:27 pm »
Just 4 teh LOLZ0RZ, Andy Pegg at Eastway, 1983:

Andy Pegg cornering by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2021, 06:52:10 pm »
I remember seeing a pencil sketch of that photo at the start of the chapter about ‘bents in Richard’s New Bicycle Book back in the day. As a callow yoof, I’d never seen anything like it before and my interest was duly piqued. Only took me the best part of 40 years to finally move to the dark side though...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2021, 08:02:04 pm »
That photo was in one of the first ever bike magazines I actually paid for.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2021, 09:31:45 pm »
“Bicycle”, September 1983 issue :)

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2021, 07:05:42 am »
I remember seeing a pencil sketch of that photo at the start of the chapter about ‘bents in Richard’s New Bicycle Book back in the day. As a callow yoof, I’d never seen anything like it before and my interest was duly piqued. Only took me the best part of 40 years to finally move to the dark side though...

You must be looking forward to getting your bent out on a few ahdaxes as they return.

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2021, 10:22:43 pm »
You must be looking forward to getting your bent out on a few ahdaxes as they return.
Yes, definitely. I just need to build up my miles again as lockdown eases :) If nothing else, I’ve got a pile of perm entries from last year that I need to start working my way through!

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2021, 06:46:04 pm »
Back in Sep 2019 LittleWheelsandBig said: "A winter project is to set up some tubeless rims for 406 Schwalbe Ones."

How did that project go?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2021, 11:31:12 am »
It hasn’t started yet. I never decided which hubs in various existing wheels should be reused and so I never actually got the spokes and did the deed. All of the brevets that this bike is used for and all the associated travel has been postponed for another year, so it is hard to overcome inertia.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...