Author Topic: Sanity check please..  (Read 3221 times)

Sanity check please..
« on: 21 November, 2019, 01:28:45 pm »
If you saw an Ebay listing thus:

"Ortlieb Back Roller City Pair Bicycle Cycling Accessory (Ex-Demo / Ex-Display)" from Evan's Cycles

What would you expect to receive?

Not a trick question just making sure I'm not going mad.  Will elaborate once I have had a few replies!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Sanity check please..
« Reply #1 on: 21 November, 2019, 01:37:26 pm »
A pair of black Back Roller City panniers, minus their original packaging and possibly with mild signs of wear.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 21 November, 2019, 01:49:18 pm »
Les McKeown?

Or maybe what Kim said.

« Reply #3 on: 21 November, 2019, 01:58:18 pm »
A pair of panniers.
Have they sent a single?  Wouldn't be the first time.  Their ebay adverts seem to be written by a random word generator, I bought a hybrid that was nothing like the description, mostly in my favour so I didn't complain  ;)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 21 November, 2019, 02:02:21 pm »
Probably what Kim said, mostly; I see nothing to indicate they would be black (or any other colour).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 21 November, 2019, 02:05:25 pm »
Indeed they have sent a single, with the reply to my message saying there was only one in the picture.  I think I am on fairly firm ground pushing for  second - let's see if they will admit their mistake gracefully..

In fairness the price was 58 quid ex demo and I genuine,y thought that was a reasonable price for a pair of these cheaper City versions-   I certainly wouldn't have bought if I twigged it was for a single bag. 

« Reply #6 on: 21 November, 2019, 02:07:05 pm »
Whatever was in the photos. Unless they were stock photos, in which case lucky dip.

(just had to send something back to Wiggle because the title was bollox but the photos were right, and I was gambling on the opposite)

On preview: Too late! I think the best you can hope for is a refund.

« Reply #7 on: 21 November, 2019, 02:31:09 pm »
I should emphasise I wasn't gaming they system here, I genuinely thought it was for a pair and at a reasonable price for a pair.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #8 on: 21 November, 2019, 02:56:03 pm »
Les McKeown and Eric Faulkner - the text definitely says "pair".
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #9 on: 21 November, 2019, 03:00:01 pm »
If you buy something on ebay, and pay by paypal, then the buyer is always right. You may not get a second bag but you can certainly ask for a full refund.

A

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 21 November, 2019, 03:28:24 pm »
If you buy something on ebay, and pay by paypal, then the buyer is always right. You may not get a second bag but you can certainly ask for a full refund.

Agreed. Raise a dispute if necessary. It says pair, you should get 2.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #11 on: 21 November, 2019, 03:32:42 pm »
Yeah, distance selling regulations mean you're entitled to return for a refund when buying from a commercial entity, and it should be fairly automated and painless with the eBay system.

Getting a second bag out of them seems a long shot.

« Reply #12 on: 21 November, 2019, 04:18:24 pm »
Having bought plenty of stuff from the ex-demo bit of Evans (though usually via their own website), I'd check the description and pictures *very* carefully, as they don't always match the title (I've been tempted by "pairs" of wheels listed at seemingly bargainous prices, which on closer inspection are just a single wheel). They normally do have a disclaimer saying that only what is in the picture is included.

However, refunds on eBay are very easy and you shouldn't have any problems.

« Reply #13 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:59:02 pm »
I'm going to go at 'em.  The ad was for a pair, I'm going to get a pair.

« Reply #14 on: 02 December, 2019, 04:33:41 pm »
Well fair play to Evans -  I did have to firmly dig my heels in but polite persistence paid off and they are taking the single pannier back and supplying a new pair for £54, which is what I paid less postage. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 02 December, 2019, 04:34:21 pm »
Result! Though maybe we shouldn't say that till they're safely in your hands.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 02 December, 2019, 06:54:49 pm »
Having bought plenty of stuff from the ex-demo bit of Evans (though usually via their own website), I'd check the description and pictures *very* carefully, as they don't always match the title (I've been tempted by "pairs" of wheels listed at seemingly bargainous prices, which on closer inspection are just a single wheel). They normally do have a disclaimer saying that only what is in the picture is included.

However, refunds on eBay are very easy and you shouldn't have any problems.

If the picture includes  a pannier mounted on a bike, that'd mean you get the bike as well.  It's interesting but I'd have thought the description was the legally binding bit.

« Reply #17 on: 02 December, 2019, 07:33:41 pm »
They will soon claw it back if they get a thumbs up from this lot.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: 02 December, 2019, 07:44:40 pm »
Well done on getting the pair.

I bought a hardly used pair of Ortlieb city roller paniers of a local selling site for £45 last year, but having used the Classics, I'm dissappointed that you have to clip the rolled top into the sides of the panniers, rather that being able to clip the rolled ends together.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 02 December, 2019, 07:58:54 pm »
I bought a hardly used pair of Ortlieb city roller paniers of a local selling site for £45 last year, but having used the Classics, I'm dissappointed that you have to clip the rolled top into the sides of the panniers, rather that being able to clip the rolled ends together.

I haven't used the Citys, but it seems to me that that's likely to make a better waterproof seal in more situations.  With the Classics, you're supposed to use the shoulder strap hooked into that little hook thing at the front to close them, which is faffy and when touring means you're potentially carrying three more shoulder straps (all now soaked in mud) than you really need.  Clipping the ends directly together inna drybag style works fine if the pannier's reasonably full (and is my usual approach), but tends to allow wet stuff in if it's very full or mostly empty.

« Reply #20 on: 06 December, 2019, 08:39:21 pm »
Well the new pair arrived today in retail packaging and Evans have refunded the original Ebay payment.  It is a result but I am sore about the degree to which I had to dig my heels in.  In fairness, once I got to speak to someome senior enough to make a decision they resolved it amicably and quickly.

The moral of the story is don't let yourself get pushed around by major national retail chains owned by venture capitalists..