Author Topic: North of England Super Randonnée 600  (Read 4353 times)

North of England Super Randonnée 600
« on: 23 January, 2020, 10:45:09 pm »

(hey, wait til bunbury see this one!)

The image is all of the photo controls you'll need to gather along the route - it's the same deal as the other Super Randonnée 600s.

I always fancied one of these, but it felt a bit indulgent to travel so far when there are plenty of hills down up the road. So here it is, starting and finishing in Hexham, which has decent, bike-friendly train services from the East Coast at Newcastle, or from the West Coast at Carlisle, and access to plenty of hills.

Randonneur option (60 hours): https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8557

Tourist option (72 hours): https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8558

And the route for both is here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30128955

It's fair to say it owes a lot to some other local organisers - Joe Applegarth's laney routes around the North Pennines, some of Dave Atkinson's Dales rides (I fell in love with Hartlington Raikes on his 200  - not the climb, it's an evil sod, but what a name) Chris Crossland's rides around the South Pennines and Dales, and not to forget the late, much-missed Don Black's rides. I think I first rode the Wycoller-Hebden Bridge road on one of Don's perms. Everything else, you can blame on me.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: North of England Super Randonnée 600
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2020, 07:13:04 am »
Brilliant!

That makes 3 Super Randonnee's in the UK, one more and we could have a hyper-super-randonnee for doing 4 in a season.

The ACP have just announced two new awards - a SR of the decade - to an SR 10 years in a row, and a 10xSR award for doing 10 of any - so it will be a lot easier to qualify for these awards without leaving the UK.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:37:11 am »
I wish ACP would call them SR600s. Everybody uses SR for Super Randonneur. So the ACP now recognise 10 x SR600s  within 60 hours each and also recognise completing 10 different SR600 routes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2020, 11:27:29 am »
That is an awesome route

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2020, 11:48:23 am »
Brilliant!

That makes 3 Super Randonnee's in the UK, one more and we could have a hyper-super-randonnee for doing 4 in a season.

The ACP have just announced two new awards - a SR of the decade - to an SR 10 years in a row, and a 10xSR award for doing 10 of any - so it will be a lot easier to qualify for these awards without leaving the UK.
Quite interesting. I cant see any mention of a time limit, only 10x, 10 different routes and all at the randonneur standard

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2020, 02:35:06 pm »
Brilliant!

10 x ACP SRs done
10 years in a row if allowed to substitute longer for shorter. If not in sight.
I feel like you are mixing up super randonneur series and super randonee (600km ride with>10000m climb in 60 hours)

« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2020, 02:40:46 pm »
Well done @Deano
Agree with LWAB: use the abbreviation SR600, at least in UK to avoid confusion (see above).
Brilliant!  That makes 3 Super Randonnee's in the UK, one more and we could have a hyper-super-randonnee for doing 4 in a season.
Quite interesting. I cant see any mention of a time limit, only 10x, 10 different routes and all at the randonneur standard
No time limit: just one's lifetime! So not sure this is a 'one a year' thing.
See: http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/index.php?showpage=430
"To celebrate the 10 years of the Super Randonnée (2009-2019), the organizer creates a new challenge :
10 Super Randonnées
Special mention for 10 SR in Rando version (60 hour time limit)
Special mention for 10 different routes
No time limit to complete the challenge
You receive : a medal + your name on the Honor List"

"3 Super Randonnee's in the UK, one more and . . ."
On it; over England's south west peninsula moors.

@HK - are there SRs of more than 600 (for the longer sub for 600 option you mention)?
http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/index.php?showpage=429
United Kingdom   Cambrian 6C   
United Kingdom   The Devilishly Elegant SR600
United Kingdom   The North of England Super Randonnée

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2020, 03:53:21 pm »
The SR600 (calling them SR is just begging for confusion) is by definition 600km nominal. HK was confusing a Super Randonneur series with a Super Randonnee 600.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2020, 05:05:58 pm »

(hey, wait til bunbury see this one!)

If I play the professional northerner anymore I'll probably turn into Clarion, and that is a topic that belongs in P&OBI.

« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:01:07 pm »
Brilliant!

A Scottish one would complete the set. It must be possible.

« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2020, 01:15:31 am »
Nice one!  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2020, 06:00:41 am »
Brilliant!

A Scottish one would complete the set. It must be possible.

It may be more difficult than you think as so many of the Scottish roads follow the glens and, even if they go up quite high, they don't get the requisite 17m/km of ascent that is needed to create a Super Randonnee.  I had a look at creating a Scottish offshoot of the Cambrian Series and it was quite hard to do.  However, I am sure there are those with the local knowledge to find a route.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2020, 02:11:14 pm »
The scots don't know what a reeeeally hilly ride is.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2020, 02:21:57 pm »
Maybe up n down the west coast, chuck in a couple of ferries, some offroad...

I'll leave it to the locals.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2020, 11:35:37 pm »
I'll have a click around later, but suspect it'll be tricky, the road network is basically Telford's mash up of Wade and Caufeilds work and he took most of the hard bits out as you can usually go round what the military went over.

Drumochter hits 450m but the sea level starts are Corpach, Perth and Dundee.
This weekends post lurgy Dundeeish to Fort William ish and back 200s via Drumochter with some pissing around to add 5km with far too much over distance thanks to the A9... only comes in at 1600m of climb, though it turns out I'm not quite post lurgy yet...

« Reply #15 on: 26 January, 2020, 07:06:58 pm »
Maybe up n down the west coast, chuck in a couple of ferries, some offroad...

I'll leave it to the locals.

I had a look and even with some offroad it'd be difficult, unless you want a proper hike-a-bike route, completing at the randonneur pace would be interesting, but if these new ACP awards cover tourist that would make it fun, some roughstuff SR600s.

I gave up in the end as couldn't get anything close to the climb required on tracks and byways. May be I wasn't looking hard enough.

I'll leave it to the locals too.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #16 on: 10 September, 2020, 04:52:52 pm »

Tourist option (72 hours): https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8558

And the route for both is here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30128955

?Tourist option is 75km per day, I think

« Reply #17 on: 10 September, 2020, 09:27:53 pm »
Ah, you might be right. I only have one entry anyway :)

I might have a go at it myself, but nights are long and cold in September, and I'll probably leave it till next year.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #18 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:03:36 pm »

I might have a go at it myself, but nights are long and cold in September, and I'll probably leave it till next year.
Ride faster.  12 hours 200km, eat sleep repeat
I'm off to Exeter now to attempt the south west moors 600, planning to start at 07.30 day 1 and 06:00 on the other days.

June would be a much better month,  for long days that aren't too hot,  and mornings that aren't too cold

75 hours doesn't feel much better than 60 really, it just adds an extra night. 

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 10 September, 2020, 10:55:16 pm »

Event Suspended, it says - so no more entries soon ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 11 September, 2020, 08:27:16 am »
Ah, of course it is. Suppose I should try to get it unsuspended, though no one has been hounding me about it ;D

« Reply #21 on: 11 September, 2020, 10:29:29 am »
They're open for your entry now, Matt.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 12 September, 2020, 05:22:23 pm »
nights are long and cold in September, and I'll probably leave it till next year.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #23 on: 12 September, 2020, 06:32:12 pm »
Enter now as motivation to stay fit over winter!

I'm tempted to have a go next weekend, 8 hours or so off per night.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #24 on: 13 September, 2020, 07:51:23 pm »
nights are long and cold in September, and I'll probably leave it till next year.
I only needed lights for 20 minutes Friday and Saturday evening and half an hour Saturday and Sunday morning,  but i wouldn't want to attempt it in two weeks time.