Author Topic: Brompton after-market cable tensioners and jockey wheels  (Read 2705 times)

Brompton after-market cable tensioners and jockey wheels
« on: 20 January, 2020, 01:44:31 pm »
Are there any worthwhile upgrades among the after-market ones, for 6-speed? Looks like I've got a broken jockey wheel. I'll probably replace the whole tensioner, as there's not much in the cost, but it does seem very plasticky. Do some of the metal ones around actually work any better?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Brompton after-market cable tensioners and jockey wheels
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2020, 02:08:33 pm »
I've always wondered if an aftermarket one would be less prone to picking up crud in teh jockey wheel drain holes....

There's a chap doing a project bike from a brompton on CC who is using a rather nice aftermarket metal tensioner but I think it was circa $120 when I looked at it...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2 on: 20 January, 2020, 02:43:51 pm »
I've wondered the same. Brompton transmissions do seem very high maintenance, so would an alternative component make it easier? But not one with eye-watering prices. And I can't justify Rohloff either. But I do like my 6 gears.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 20 January, 2020, 06:58:05 pm »
Rolly hub would be quite a lot heavier and needs the rear triangle to be wider I think...

This is the rear tensioner I was on about, not sure the metal wheels offer much over the plastic apart from perhaps easier to clean...

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32893891173.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.1f361014JHXrp8

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 20 January, 2020, 07:19:11 pm »
I'll see yours and raise you.

Back to the question of whether there are any sensibly-priced ones that improve performance ;D

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:18:33 pm »
I'll see yours and raise you.

Back to the question of whether there are any sensibly-priced ones that improve performance ;D

Haha - you'd be gutted to break that! Bet it's seen on all them nice clean and mudguard less lightweight Brommys in Singapore!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:32:24 pm »
For that price, I'd expect a self-cleaning and self-servicing one at least...