Author Topic: Missing camping.  (Read 4289 times)

Missing camping.
« on: 15 May, 2020, 11:47:25 pm »
One of my New Year resolutions was to try & camp more often.  That didn't happen :-(

https://twitter.com/artistsargent/status/1261424849093869570?s=20
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Missing camping.
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2020, 12:47:17 am »
True and true. We are missing camping because camping is missing. There was some vague noise from Deputy CMO that campsites could open before hotels, but no word of actually when (and whether it would really be safe even then is for your own judgment).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:22:27 am »
I saw something on a news site about campsites reopening in July but nothing definite  .
With 4 cats camping in the garden is  not doable unless I want a holy tent  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:45:56 am »
I saw something on a news site about campsites reopening in July but nothing definite  .
With 4 cats camping in the garden is  not doable unless I want a holy tent  ::-)
There was a report yesterday’s Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/may/15/englands-campsites-prepare-to-open-in-july-summer-government-relaxed-lockdown-restrictions?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2020, 06:55:48 pm »
Its so bad I have caped 2 nights in the garden already and am planning a third next week, just to check kit changes you understand.https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/grin.gif.  Do I need ti buy a Kindel as the nights could be long before we get camping again and if so which one?

« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2020, 07:44:05 pm »
https://twitter.com/groughmag/status/1261653072817934337?s=20

Some people are breaking the rules......

A YACF camping weekend should be safe enough anyway.   We were practising Social Distancing between tents before it was fashionable.  Something to do with allegations of snoring..... O:-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:04:31 pm »
I seem to remember a few rumours of snoring. Never heard anything myself  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:51:49 pm »
I had a night down by the rhubarb over Easter  :)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:54:10 pm »
What do the rules actually say about camping or not?
What if it is within easy walking/cycling distance of your house, and well away from any other people?

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:58:47 pm »
I'd guess the rules about camping are as vague/non existent as may of the other rules so the News has made statements which people have taken to be the law or not to be the law and then argued incessantly about what they can/cant/should/shouldn't do.

And yes I'm missing camping. Should have been at the truly wonderful lings meadow last weekend with a couple of other families which obviously didn't happen.

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:03:00 pm »
What do the rules actually say about camping or not?
What if it is within easy walking/cycling distance of your house, and well away from any other people?

The guidelines state:
Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home for a holiday or other purpose is not allowed. This includes visiting second homes.

I guess that rules out camping.

« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:03:19 pm »
https://twitter.com/groughmag/status/1261653072817934337?s=20

I was passed (going the other way), by a pair of cyclists kitted out with bikepacking gear last Friday afternoon (8th).
It certainly looked like they were intending to spend the night out somewhere, maybe on top of the Malverns.

« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2020, 10:24:23 pm »
Its so bad I have caped 2 nights in the garden already and am planning a third next week, just to check kit changes you understand.https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/grin.gif.  Do I need ti buy a Kindel as the nights could be long before we get camping again and if so which one?
If campsites open before cafes and pubs, you may want a kindle even if it's light(ish) in the evening.

I've put the current state of affairs in the To Kobo or to Kindle topic, to avoid derailing this topic.

« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2020, 11:04:07 pm »
I have to admit I did consider a cheeky little wild night out,  it haven’t succumbed yet.

« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:48:10 am »
I had plans to camp this year - I bought a tent last September (in a fit of rubbish timing, shortly before a burst appendix put paid to cycling for a while - then winter happened). It's still not been used. :( If I had a garden, I'd probably be camping in it like I used to as a child! :D

Our lockdown rules (Scotland) are currently stricter than England's, but I'm hopeful that at some point this summer camping (even just wild camping to begin with?) will be permitted.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:54:07 am »
I had plans to camp this year - I bought a tent last September (in a fit of rubbish timing, shortly before a burst appendix put paid to cycling for a while - then winter happened). It's still not been used. :(
Ditto. Well, I ordered mine in the summer and it arrived in September or October.

If I had a garden, I'd probably be camping in it like I used to as a child! :D
Ditto! Well, again, I do have sort of gardenette but it's too small to pitch a tent.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2020, 11:43:47 am »
In the last couple of days there have been three fully loaded bikers across our common. Likely they were following Sustrans 45 which is part of their recommended LEJOG route.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2020, 12:38:52 pm »
There's room for a small tent in our garden, but the terrain's a bit lumpy...

(Also, you'd be watched by the neighbours' dog.)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2020, 01:36:20 pm »
The guidelines state:
Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home for a holiday or other purpose is not allowed. This includes visiting second homes.

Is a tent or a bivvy bag a 'home'?
The guidelines say you can go outside to exercise, and to spend time outdoors, eg enoying the fresh air or picknicking. Does that include camping?

Davef

« Reply #19 on: 18 May, 2020, 09:12:22 am »
The guidelines state:

Is a tent or a bivvy bag a 'home'?
The guidelines say you can go outside to exercise, and to spend time outdoors, eg enoying the fresh air or picknicking. Does that include camping?
There is a whole spectrum from having a 10 minute nap after a picnic to Henry VIIIs mobile accommodation that I was reading about today - it took 32 carts to transport. I think the cut off point should be whether you are spotted or not. The tents in broad daylight pictured above failed that test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #20 on: 20 May, 2020, 10:42:25 am »

;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #21 on: 21 May, 2020, 07:59:56 am »
Second night in a row spent sleeping outdoors - I joined in the MEMWNS socialy distanced bivvy night, at late notice  :D

[imghttps://i.ibb.co/BP61qGV/P1100583.jpg[/img]http://
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #22 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:35:46 am »
A night under hi tech canvas for me and my 10 YOD. Nothing to report. Still here being grateful for the fact we have a garden to do this in. Wish you were here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #23 on: 21 May, 2020, 01:58:14 pm »
Google photos app keeps reminding me where I was x years especially where x = 4, and 4 years ago I rode rode to Norway then rode the length of Norway then the breadth, mostly wild camping.

4 years ago today I woke up here

with this view

And now I'm  pining for the fjords.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #24 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:29:38 pm »
beautiful