Author Topic: Camping & Caravanning Club  (Read 10620 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Camping & Caravanning Club
« on: 19 June, 2020, 11:16:17 pm »
I had a letter a couple of days ago sending a brace of membership cards and telling me that a direct debit would be activated on 3rd July.

On the basis that I have been a member for quite a few years without using their sites very often, and the fact that it seems very unlikely that I will use their sites during the coming season, I have cancelled the direct debit.

I hope that I am not contributing to the organisation’s demise. What are others doing?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Camping & Caravanning Club
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2020, 11:31:07 pm »
I get discounted insurance for my k ackered motorhome because I'm a member, haven't actually used any of the sites since joining (oddly I have used a caravan club site while camping since then)

I should probably cancel both the membership and insurance but the no claims will be handy in future.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2020, 12:05:04 am »
We’ve used our membership to book a short trip away in early August (showers and loos on offer, all we need, really) and we’re thinking of booking another before that. We invested in a new tent just before lockdown, and we’re keen to try that out and also take our newish dog on a camping trip. We were always going to restrict ourselves to the UK this year, rather than abroad - mostly because of the new dog - so it’s no great loss. My understanding is that many C&CC sites will be open for business within a few weeks but some may not have a full range of facilities on offer.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2020, 12:09:06 am »
Come to think of it, we have used our membership a few times when shopping at Go Outdoors. You get an extra discount when buying stuff there, so perhaps my decision to cancel was a little premature. Will have another think...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2020, 01:32:52 am »
I stayed at members-only sites a couple of times last year, plus I'm an active member of the ALC, so my membership was getting regular use.

The Go Outdoors discount has come in handy too (not sure if you get one for being in the CTC?).

I figure that for now I can afford the un-usable membership with the money I'm not spending on silly bike adventures.   :-\

« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2020, 11:18:27 am »
Two trips booked with the campervan and two trips using the bike / tent pencilled in over the next couple of months. If everything goes OK may think of an extended trip to Scotland in September.

« Reply #6 on: 20 June, 2020, 11:41:05 am »
To be honest, C&CC sites are exactly the sort of sites I avoid. So in a sense I'm quite glad they exist

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 20 June, 2020, 11:52:37 am »
To be honest, C&CC sites are exactly the sort of sites I avoid. So in a sense I'm quite glad they exist

The Club owned sites are a bit bland, though they're occasionally useful midway through a tour for getting washing done, and the ones with rec rooms make sense for meets in the colder months.

Certified sites are small, independently run and much more varied.  They're the ones you actually need membership to use.

« Reply #8 on: 20 June, 2020, 06:17:03 pm »
The problem is that unless you are camping most weekends membership is not cost effective . I might use a CCC site maybe 4 time's a year at most and the site manager I spoke to said I would be cheaper for me to pay non members fee  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 20 June, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
The problem is that unless you are camping most weekends membership is not cost effective . I might use a CCC site maybe 4 time's a year at most and the site manager I spoke to said I would be cheaper for me to pay non members fee  :)

Yes, this is something the ALC moans about on a regular basis.  The membership cost doesn't make sense for a solo backpacker/cyclist, unless you're using it an awful lot or attending enough Section meets (which tend to have lower fees than booking with the site directly) that it breaks even.  You do get access to the members-only sites, which can sometimes be worthwhile.

I believe the numbers are a bit more favourable if you're in a family tent or caravan.

« Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2020, 06:42:13 pm »
When we joined, several years ago, it was cheaper to join, but we were staying in one place for at least a week and MrsC got a senior's discount.
One other advantage of the sites is that one can occasionally come across a Wowbagger in the wild.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #11 on: 22 June, 2020, 12:31:50 am »
We have a caravan for our sins (older bodies and sick of low beds, poor headroom, faff of wet usage etc) and we're members of both clubs BUT our annual pitch usage doesn't cover cost via the 'members rate' HOWEVER each club has either our car insurance, or our house insurance, caravanning insurers are by far the cheapest (by a country mile) for the 60-90 days of the typical 'snowbirds' buggering off to Spain (or further afield) lots of other comapanies just don't understand or want 'risk' of. LV+ does do car insurance for euro use that is occasionally as cheap.

PS. Note that a weekly/fortnightly house visits are still needed, but not full drain down or heating set to 'cremate' unlike most other companies.

PPS. Some normal companies have 30/60 day limits of duration but are worded 'per insured period' (not per year) so lots of snowbirds take their caravans to Southern Spain very early for better ferry availability (it is crazy busy just after Xmas and into Feb) so a lot just fly back for a 'reset' visit (say NY) then another overnight as needed, flights are just silly cheap booked early (before C19 obv.)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 22 June, 2020, 03:53:31 am »
The Go Outdoors discount has come in handy too (not sure if you get one for being in the CTC?).

So about that...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53127083

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #13 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:18:28 am »
I've been a C&CC member for donkey's years and I've not done a great deal of camping in recent years.  I may be doing a bit more in the next year, given Covid 19 and my plan to do several of the UK-based long distance walking routes. 

That said, I treat my C&CC, YHA and National Trust memberships a bit like donations to a greater common good.  These are organisations worthy of support, even if it's others that benefit more than me.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:49:57 am »
That said, I treat my C&CC, YHA and National Trust memberships a bit like donations to a greater common good.

So swinging, fascism and cream teas?

Look - I KNOW OK? Cheap joke.

« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2020, 08:22:22 am »

The Club owned sites are a bit bland, though they're occasionally useful midway through a tour for getting washing done, and the ones with rec rooms make sense for meets in the colder months.

Certified sites are small, independently run and much more varied.  They're the ones you actually need membership to use.

I guess it boils down to what you need them for. I dont tour, so I'm more interested in the immediate environment of the site, such that it is conducive to me wanting to spend time in the actual site, rather than use it purely as a base, or an overnight stop. My favourite sites tend to be the seasonal farm ones.

« Reply #16 on: 23 June, 2020, 01:53:35 pm »
The club is extending memberships for the the length of time that the sites have been closed. We aren't likely to camp for a while yet. The ALC's meets are cancelled until at least August. I think that just as we are starting to feel happier to camp, the weather will cool and the second wave will arrive, but I'm probably being overly pessimistic.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2020, 04:49:15 pm »
The ALC meets are likely to be non-existent this year now.
Sites with facilities open have cancelled the bookings for the year.
We will be able to book as a group but at normal site fees only.

« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »
MrsC tried to rebook our holiday, planned for September, only to discover that it hadn't been cancelled.
So there is a possibility we will get to use the caravan this year.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2020, 09:34:04 pm »
While I'd agree with comments saying that the club sites can be somewhat bland and a bit samey they do tend to be very well run and offer superb facilities.  One of the main draws for me though is that when touring with little Joe he will always find other kids to play with on club sites.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:00:26 pm »
I'm a member, though I haven't had a camper van for a couple of years now. But the local site is just 200m down the road and the owner is an occasional drinking mate in the local, so I can't bring myself to leave! I may actually buy another van - or even a caravan - for next year, so I'll keep it going.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2020, 11:14:36 pm »
While I'd agree with comments saying that the club sites can be somewhat bland and a bit samey they do tend to be very well run and offer superb facilities.

This is true.  They're also in useful places.  And won't turn away backpackers/cyclists as a matter of policy.

« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2020, 09:31:11 am »
And won't turn away backpackers/cyclists as a matter of policy.

I wonder how this will change in light of covid.

I emailed to ask, but never got a response. They've been taking non-cyclist/backpacker bookings online for a while, but you can't book online if you're hoping to get the cyclist/backpacker discount.

« Reply #23 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:44:42 am »
Shared washrooms will be interesting

My favourite campsite, non ccc and only open Whitson week, and july and august, normally doesnt take bookings, you turn up and pitch. It's taking strict bookings

« Reply #24 on: 24 June, 2020, 10:56:27 am »
They were showing a 30% members discount for grass only pitches but I can't find it now. I guess they are expecting high demand so it's not necessary
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped