Author Topic: Advice sought, remove Pedal from crank arm.  (Read 2743 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Advice sought, remove Pedal from crank arm.
« Reply #25 on: 04 July, 2020, 11:23:59 pm »
Clamp pedal spindle in bench vice, gripping on the flats..

If you put enough torque through the crank, doesn't clamping a narrow piece put you at risk of breaking the bench vice? ISTR people trashing vices by clamping a freewheel removal.tool and using the rim as leverage.

If you are able to break a vice with the mechanical advantage of a mere bicycle wheel, then the vice is Utterly Wet and and a Weed, and should be Discarded.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 04 July, 2020, 11:31:02 pm »
When we were doing exactly the same exercise a few weeks back we were not only flexing the vice but the whole bench it was attached to. Eventually it came apart (the crank & pedal) after some swears.
On the heat front, we had success putting a Ti BB axle that we couldn't get the bearings off into the freezer for a bit and they came off no bother. Something to try before the nuclear option.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #27 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:18:28 am »
Clamp pedal spindle in bench vice, gripping on the flats..

If you put enough torque through the crank, doesn't clamping a narrow piece put you at risk of breaking the bench vice? ISTR people trashing vices by clamping a freewheel removal.tool and using the rim as leverage.

If you are able to break a vice with the mechanical advantage of a mere bicycle wheel, then the vice is Utterly Wet and and a Weed, and should be Discarded.

er, once the vice is broken, you don't have that much choice.    If you do the sums, small flats on a tool in a bench vice plus high torque = several tonnes load; far more than you would be able to exert by simply tightening the vice. Cast iron vices are mush more vulnerable to failure through abuse than cast steel vices. Cast steel vices are more money to buy, of course.

I can't remember if I have mentioned this already but once you have decided to sacrifice the pedal spindle, welding onto it can be a good scheme; this gives you something bigger to hold/hit and the more  localised heat frees the joint off in a way that applying a more global heat source cannot manage.

The other thing I didn't mention is that the chances of the crank thread not being damaged can start to get small too; this being the case if the pedals are expensive ones it can make more sense to cut the crank off the pedal instead.  This is not at all difficult or time consuming to do; a couple of cuts with a hacksaw and a couple of good hits with a hammer usually does it.  No matter how corroded the thing was it should be possible to clean up the pedal spindle thread afterwards.

cheers

« Reply #28 on: 05 July, 2020, 12:26:39 am »
If you are able to break a vice with anything, there isn't that much choice about discarding the vice ;D

Personally I've broken two, at least one a Record, disassembling bike bits.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2020, 07:53:27 am »

Securely attach a 1 metre length of 2" by 2" timber to the crank arm using anything you can find in the workshop. Big bolt through centre hole in the crank is a start, G clamps, several toestraps, zip ties, any or all of those at once.

Crankenstein’s monster!

It lives! IT LIVES!!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #30 on: 05 July, 2020, 08:12:35 am »
Cycle Heaven were able remove a stuck pedal for me.

But had to DIY it when I bought my bikes back from France the pedals untouched for over 10 years. Knowing I would need a good Spanner at short notice I went nowhere near Aldi or even Lidl but to another bike shop where they sold one for an outrageous price I simply had to pay.

The force needed to remove the pedals, even turning the correct way*, was enormous but my expensive Spanner did not even buckle. Luckily the crank arms were still on the bike! I love that Spanner..

* I can never remember which goes widdershins and need the Internet to tell me. ( Right pedals loosen by turning counter-clockwise, left pedals loosen clockwise, it says.)
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #31 on: 05 July, 2020, 10:34:35 am »
LH thread on the LHS, RH thread on the RHS.

Fortunately similar for wheel nuts on buses and trucks, so no confusion there.

Opposite though for (most) bottom bracket threads.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 05 July, 2020, 03:53:44 pm »
Remove crank with pedal.  Find mat where you can get the crank and the pedal spanner (or loooong allen key) at about 135 degrees.  Pour boiling water over the pedal eye and immediately attack it with all your weight.

Advanced version that worked for Spacebadger recently: as above, but leave the crank and pedal in the freezer for an hour first, then proceed as above.

This works because the aluminium crank expands more, and faster, than the steel axle.  And (not obviously) when something containing a hole expands, the hole gets bigger.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.