Author Topic: RIP Jack Charlton  (Read 2094 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
RIP Jack Charlton
« on: 11 July, 2020, 09:21:20 am »
Well, that’s more history that is now officially history...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: RIP Jack Charlton
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2020, 10:39:45 pm »
He was a great player. Not the best, and he knew it, but he made up in attitude anything he might have lacked in technique. He was also a very good manager. I think his ‘gruff northerner’ image did him a disservice: he was the real thing.

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2020, 06:20:41 pm »
When I heard the news yesterday, I recalled watching his last game for Leeds United on Star Soccer. Turns out that was in 1973. Reminded me of my own mortality... It's a great shame that he became estranged from his brother, Bobby. I wonder if that was resolved before he died.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2020, 08:21:03 pm »
I thought he was an especially good manager of Ireland.

Small piece of football trivia: did people know that there's a 3rd Charlton brother who represented England at "walking" football?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-44100523
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2020, 09:41:53 pm »
Even more of their cousins, the Milburns, played pro footie.  One even played for Rochdale!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2020, 11:24:46 pm »
Were they the same Milburns of which Colin, the England opening batsman in the 1960s, was a member? He lost an eye in a car crash in a manner very similar to Gordon Banks, I believe.

« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:05:47 pm »
I guess if you go far enough back it's quite possible, though Milburn is a common enough name in the North-East.  I've not seen it cited, though.  It's a very romantic name.  And it was terrific to watch Colin bat.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2020, 01:39:34 pm »
Wikinaccurate makes no mention of any connection in either the article on Colin or Wor Jackie.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2020, 06:23:06 pm »
There was a Milburn in Blair's cabinet. I don't know if he could bat, but he could certainly spin.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #9 on: 13 July, 2020, 06:49:52 pm »
I guess if you go far enough back it's quite possible, though Milburn is a common enough name in the North-East.  I've not seen it cited, though.  It's a very romantic name.  And it was terrific to watch Colin bat.

It was. He created such an impression on the teenage me that I'm surprised he played so few tests.

When Gooch started to play for England his approach reminded me very much of Milburn's, but as he developed as a player he learned how to protect his wicket better. I recall his first test 100. I think it was 123 scored when the team total was 165. IIRC Gooch had 2 partners in this innings: one G. Boycott, and C. Tavaré.

« Reply #10 on: 13 July, 2020, 08:09:35 pm »
Wikinaccurate makes no mention of any connection in either the article on Colin or Wor Jackie.

I thought I read in one obituary that his mum and Wor Jackie were cousins. 

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #11 on: 13 July, 2020, 08:15:11 pm »
Even more of their cousins, the Milburns, played pro footie.  One even played for Rochdale!
Aren't you forgetting the Uncle Wor Jackie was named after?
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #12 on: 13 July, 2020, 08:20:20 pm »
You really know when you're getting older when you genuinely feel a pang of poignancy at the news of somebodys death - and by 'somebodys', I mean a person carrying a pretty significant public profile that you've kind of witnessed over so many years.

Big Jack - part of our upbringing in so many ways.

21 yrs at Leeds [21yrs!!!!!! FGS!!], and then a career in management.

The thing that really defined him was the fact that he was his own man, and interestingly enough probably more 'happy', more at peace with himself than his brother, even though her was never the 'footballer' that his brother was - as he would be the first to acknowledge. One the creator, the other........the destroyer.

The thing that really stands out for me is: blimey, what a life!!

RIP
Garry Broad

« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2020, 09:48:53 pm »
Entire pro career at one club and his appearance record is unlikely to be beaten .
 He did acknowledge publicly that Bobby was a play maker whereas he was there to stop others playing.
Amazing how he was reborn when managing the ROI team. 
We have now lost Norman Hunter, Trevor Cherry and Big Jack in a few months .
 A bittersweet season for some of us older LUFC fans.