Author Topic: Got doored on our tandem.  (Read 5297 times)

dat

Got doored on our tandem.
« on: 12 August, 2020, 08:08:44 pm »
Had our Thorn tandem for two weeks and last night we got doored going to the shop. I have a chunk out of my leg and am struggling with walking among other bashes and scrapes. My wife has a sprained shoulder and bad cuts to her other side. Tandem will be written off but at least the women took full responsibility in the police report.

Re: Got doored on our tandem.
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:16:26 pm »
Oh dear sorry to hear that,  GWS the pair of you.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:25:59 pm »
Get well soon. That must have hurt somewhat

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:27:08 pm »
 Bugger. Nail them to the wall.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

dat

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:30:20 pm »
It’s annoying. My wife doesn’t do much cycling so it’s normally me getting knocked off and her taking care of me. Now we are both hurt we’re rather pathetically hopping around the house trying to support each other.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:36:58 pm »
Sorry to hear.

Drivers are getting worse IMO.

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2020, 08:48:27 pm »
Sorry to hear this.  I hope that you both soon recover.

Just because the driver has accepted her fault doesn't mean that her insurers will.  Keep copious records of everything from the difficulties that you both have because of the injuries including pain, loss of mobility, working issues, ongoing issues such as headaches, dizziness, back pain, cricked necks, etc., etc. ,etc., as well as impacts on your finances and personal lives. 

Don't let them downplay the severity of the incident and it's consequences.

And, all  losses relating to the tandem, your cycling kit, need to get taxis, etc., etc., etc.

We have a terrible habit of downplaying the affect these things have on our lives.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2020, 07:48:23 am »
Sounds bloody horrible. GWS.

Dunno about UK, but opening a car door in France is counted as manoeuvring the vehicle, so that the culprit can be done for careless driving, causing injury, etc.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2020, 08:47:52 am »
It's a specific offence in the UK.

I imagine there is considerable damage to the door as well?  Makes it much harder for the driver to pretend it never happened.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2020, 08:50:04 am »
Sorry to hear this.  I hope that you both soon recover.

Just because the driver has accepted her fault doesn't mean that her insurers will.  Keep copious records of everything from the difficulties that you both have because of the injuries including pain, loss of mobility, working issues, ongoing issues such as headaches, dizziness, back pain, cricked necks, etc., etc. ,etc., as well as impacts on your finances and personal lives. 

Don't let them downplay the severity of the incident and it's consequences.

And, all  losses relating to the tandem, your cycling kit, need to get taxis, etc., etc., etc.

We have a terrible habit of downplaying the affect these things have on our lives.

100% agree with this, and do not downplay the severity of any ongoing effects.  I've got my much delayed medical for my 31st Oct 2018 SMIDSY tomorrow, and prompted by @Chrisbainbridgde have written out exactly what the continuing effects are.  I've made comparisons as well on the before/after such as cycling tour in Scotland, rode >600km in 5 days including sucessive days of 180/150/100, whereas now my limit is about 75km and I couldn't do that on consecutive days.  WHilst I can bend over to do up my shoelaces, it's painful enough that I prefer to sit or put my foot on something, etc.

Remember, the effect is on your normal, not the population normal.

Don't forget the psychological either, I'm still bloody nervous around roundabouts
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

dat

« Reply #10 on: 13 August, 2020, 10:39:12 am »
Thanks guys. I’ve unfortunately been through this before 8 years ago. Pictures are being taken and everything has been noted. We have been in contact with legal representation this morning.

« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2020, 10:56:58 am »
Bloody hell. How upsetting must that be. I imagine quite a bit of time and thought had gone into the tandem selection, so to see it written off within two weeks must really hurt. Aside from the injuries of course.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #12 on: 13 August, 2020, 01:39:05 pm »
When I got doored a few years ago, the upper corner edge of the car door ripped into my chin,
which involved some neat stictching. There was a couple standing on their doorstep who witnessed
the whole incident, as well as a nurse who was in a following car, about to stag on for her duty.

She didn't have far to go, because the hospital (on College Road, Cheltenham) was about 100 yards ahead. The bloke in the car couldn't have been more apologetic, as were his friends (the couple on the doorstep).

Copper came whilst I was in a ward getting assessed (stitches weren't inserted for two or three days). Managed to get the drivers insurance details and received adequate compensation later.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 13 August, 2020, 01:45:07 pm »
Heal well. Good that the driver isn't denying it at least.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #14 on: 14 August, 2020, 03:57:07 pm »
Oh no, poor you! Hope the insurance sorts things out and you both heal well.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #15 on: 14 August, 2020, 04:10:57 pm »
Oh no, what a shitemare!  Nail the culprit good and proper.

« Reply #16 on: 14 August, 2020, 05:05:04 pm »
Hope you both heal fully and quickly.  And very best of luck in your claim.