Author Topic: Packing Brompton for flying  (Read 3243 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Packing Brompton for flying
« on: 26 October, 2022, 09:34:06 am »
Looking for ideas/experience. We are planning a visit to a friend on the Hebrides and intend to fly as getting to the ferry via public transport and current Calmac reliability suggests it's a better option. So it's Loganair Highlands and Islands from Inverness to Benbecula and probably back to Glasgow (to tie in with sleeper train from/to London). We are an immunocompromised household so still covid nervous (yes I know maybe we shouldn't travel at all) but feel that sleeper train, not very busy airports in November and a short plane trip is probably within our risk level. So thoughts turned to how to get to Euston and to airports in Scotland, and then we discovered they will take bikes on those small planes. Big bikes could be tricky when we get there, but Bromptons would work fine.
So how to protect them? Whatever we use has to be portable enough to ride there with it. We could just leave them as bikes in big plastic bag, but would need to turn bars and remove pedals. Or we could fold them - we have the standard covers which leave the saddle sticking out (keeps Eurostar happy) so hopefully shows it's a bike not a suitcase. So we wondered about something like wrapping in a cheap foam sleeping map under the cover, maybe securing with tape as necessary. Benbecula end is no worry for handling, and my memory of Inverness airport suggests it shouldn't be an issue there out of season either, main issue would be incoming to Glasgow.
The price they charge for those flights they should treat everything as precious bone china...but realistically that won't happen.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Packing Brompton for flying
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2022, 10:11:37 am »
The Brompton damage we’ve experienced when flying over the past couple of decades is mostly:
- Bent frame hinge bolt and stem hinge bolt. Tighten them all the way down (some protection) or (better) remove them and store securely.
- Bent or broken Eazy wheels. Some form of rolled cardboard brace or similar seems to mostly work.
- Bent mudguard stays, cracked mudguard. Bend the stays back when you unfold it.

It is probably a good idea to use a strap around the folded bike to help keep things together and to give the baggage handlers something to grab that won’t break.

Carry the pump separately or tape it on (might get dislodged) or remove CO2 canisters.

Cardboard or other discardable packaging (HK is a big fan of bubble wrap) between the bike and bag is a good idea because abrasion during flight can rub through the bag pretty easily. Do not use a thermarest!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2022, 12:54:31 pm »
The times I've flown with the Brompton I've had no issues (even flying with Ryanair).

I have a Brompton Travel Bag (an older version without the wheels).  I've simply add some strategic cardboard/bubblewrap to the most vulnerable bits.

The good thing about the old travel bag is that it rolls up relatively small when empty and can easily be slipped under the strap of a large front mounted bag.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2022, 01:12:31 pm »
I tend to use a Dimpa bag or similar because it is light, small and the bike is usually treated ok. Hardcases tend to be chucked around or have stuff piled on top.

Currently I am working in Tangier and put the Brompton in an old Delsey suitcase (ex-Airnimal) because the airline broke an Eazy wheel the last time I was working at this site. This time they lost my case for a few days and returned the case with a wheel ripped off. The Brompton was fine though. All good fun.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...