Author Topic: 2021 Long Events  (Read 8105 times)

rob

2021 Long Events
« on: 15 September, 2020, 08:42:29 pm »
Just to attempt to give everyone something to look forward to, does anyone have details on any planned 1000k+ rides next year.

We know about LEL but there’s nothing on the LRM website yet and nothing on the BE or NL sites.

Any thoughts ?

Ta, Rob.

Re: 2021 Long Events
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:43:57 pm »
WAWA potentially June 2021.

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:51:02 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:51:46 pm »
If you are looking beyond Audax, then some events are appearing on https://bikepacking.com/events/. The calendar will fill out over the next few months, with both road-based events and off-road.

EDIT - just seen this is in the Audax folder, so maybe not relevant!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:58:06 pm »
ACME Grand in September - initial planning done today.

« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2020, 08:59:42 pm »
I wonder if Les Douze Cents will reappear for 2021.

rob

« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2020, 09:04:12 pm »
ACME Grand in September - initial planning done today.

That’s awfully convenient.

« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2020, 03:09:14 am »
For those wishing to escape the cold, bleak northern winter the now postponed 2020 Great Southern Randonnée 1000/1200 (GSR) in Victoria Australia will (hopefully) start 12 months later on November 7, 2021 and you could extend your holiday a few months and follow up with the Sydney-Melbourne 1200 starting April 3, 2022, now who could miss an opportunity like that, both would set you up with a great pre-qualifying long distance for PBP 2023!

https://audax.org.au/feature-ride/great-southern-randonnee/

« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2020, 10:59:06 am »
Last time I mentioned it to Deano he reckoned Highland Fling was still a mebbes for May next year.

PBP Audax.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2020, 12:14:39 pm »
Some long brevets
PBP Audax 1200
A 1200 LRM, possibly in Oz
Possibly Deano’s 1000 or the ACME Grand

<SNIP>
Some brevets on trike, tandem, Moulton or fixed, whatever takes my fancy.

I might add in another long brevet in Europe, LEL or something else. It would be good to meet up with some friends I've not seen in a long time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2020, 06:12:36 pm »
My entry for Borders of Belgium  (1000km) has been kicked forward to next September.

Presuming there'll be some drop out (and that it'll definitely happen)
https://bordersofbelgium2020.weebly.com/

Quite close to LEL, if that goes ahead of course.

« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2020, 11:36:12 pm »
Last time I mentioned it to Deano he reckoned Highland Fling was still a mebbes for May next year.

PBP Audax.

Aye, still planning it for the early May BH, but I don't think I'll have space for new entries unless loads drop out (you n Dave can come and play if you want, of course).

« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:04:18 am »
1300km DIY from my home.
Was planned for June 2020 but postponed due to global events.
Aim is to train & prep for a June 2021 attempt.
Low cost, low risk way to plan for uncertain times ahead.

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2020, 03:11:50 pm »
Transatlantic way is running from 10th June 21. Entries open.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2020, 08:50:49 pm »
Might resurrect my plan to cycle to Whitchurch (all of them) and Eglwyswen (which is Whitchurch in Cymraeg).  That way, if travel restrictions continue I might still have goal to aim at.  Its 1300km and a bit and lumpy as it goes through Wessex twice, Dartmoor twice and into darkest Pembrokeshire.  I can set it up as a perm route if people are interested, this time with proper GPS tracks.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #15 on: 18 September, 2020, 08:53:26 pm »
My entry for Borders of Belgium  (1000km) has been kicked forward to next September.

There is 1000 du sud in france as well for those who love scenery and lots of climbing https://sites.google.com/site/le1000dusud/ it became my fall back event when Borders of Belgium got cancelled.

« Reply #16 on: 18 September, 2020, 11:31:12 pm »

PBP Audax.

Aye, still planning it for the early May BH, but I don't think I'll have space for new entries unless loads drop out (you n Dave can come and play if you want, of course).
I'll be back by then hmm

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #17 on: 30 September, 2020, 08:16:55 pm »
Bordeaux - Dordrecht 1200 has just come up as provisional for May 13th on the Randonneurs NL Facebook page.

« Reply #18 on: 30 September, 2020, 08:21:45 pm »
WAWA now provisional starting 24th June 2021.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #19 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:47:23 pm »

There is 1000 du sud in france as well for those who love scenery and lots of climbing https://sites.google.com/site/le1000dusud/ it became my fall back event when Borders of Belgium got cancelled.

It's my fallback if LEL is cancelled.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:50:08 pm »
If you are looking beyond Audax, then some events are appearing on https://bikepacking.com/events/. The calendar will fill out over the next few months, with both road-based events and off-road.

EDIT - just seen this is in the Audax folder, so maybe not relevant!
If you can highlight the non-helmet-rule events, then they have *my* blessing :) (can't speak for others ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #21 on: 10 October, 2020, 05:41:13 pm »
Might resurrect my plan to cycle to Whitchurch (all of them) and Eglwyswen (which is Whitchurch in Cymraeg).  That way, if travel restrictions continue I might still have goal to aim at.  Its 1300km and a bit and lumpy as it goes through Wessex twice, Dartmoor twice and into darkest Pembrokeshire.  I can set it up as a perm route if people are interested, this time with proper GPS tracks.

I have set it up.  Final distance is 1361km and its available for entry via Paypal, although you can't ride it at the moment as you aren't allowed to visit most of South Wales unless you have a good reason.  There is a GPS track on RidewithGPS.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34181315

rob

« Reply #22 on: 27 October, 2020, 01:42:59 pm »
I think I'll need to target TTs next year.  Probably more chance of those happening.

Might just got touring on my own.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #23 on: 27 October, 2020, 03:17:53 pm »

I have set it up.  Final distance is 1361km and its available for entry via Paypal, although you can't ride it at the moment as you aren't allowed to visit most of South Wales unless you have a good reason.  There is a GPS track on RidewithGPS.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34181315
Living in a Whitchurch (the on-Thames version) I'm interested in this.  How did you choose the route, Crazy?  Did you take sections from existing routes?  I ask because I'm not a huge fan of main road bash.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #24 on: 27 October, 2020, 09:09:25 pm »

Living in a Whitchurch (the on-Thames version) I'm interested in this.  How did you choose the route, Crazy?  Did you take sections from existing routes?  I ask because I'm not a huge fan of main road bash.

The route is mostly shortest route between Whitchurches.  The sequence of Whitchurches was fairly easy to determine because of having to get to Devon and Pembrokeshire.  There are some main road sections, but the way I've planned it with a 5am start from home (just under an hour from Whitchurch Hampshire, I should do the A38 on the first night and the A49 on the third night.  The bit I am not looking forward to is Bristol - Newport - Cardiff on the second day.  There's no easy way to get to Whitchurch Cardiff and avoid busy roads.

Once I'd worked out the route I realised it connected so many of my past cycling exploits - my first 300 was the 3 Moors 300, the section around Whitchurch Canonicorum picks the same roads as bits of several Wessex Rides (especially the Brimstone), Whitchurch Cardiff is where one of my cycling heroes - Geraint Thomas grew up (sadly he'll probably be doing some bike ride in France when I attempt this), then we head into Pembrokeshire and explore Cambrian Series territory - the rides I liked so much I bought the company.  The A49 is the usual route for End to End cyclists and then the roads around Whitchurch Shropshire take in bits of the Mersey Road 24 Hour course.  So, it's a sort of a trip round memory lane to round up all those things I've done.  With so much uncertainty about what events will happen or not next year - It's now firming up as the most likely long event that I will do next year.