Author Topic: How do you make scrambled eggs?  (Read 6441 times)

Re: How do you make scrambled eggs?
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2020, 11:16:27 am »
No faffing here. Melt a little ( half teaspoonful) butter in a small nonstick frying pan, two eggs and approx 2 tablespoons of full fat milk. Start stirring immediately, breaking and mixing yolks in with egg whites and milk. As soon as there's no runny egg, server on pre warmed plate with a slice of ham. Salt and pepper to taste. Takes 3 minutes to cook, 1 minute to eat. Eat to live. It's fuel.

« Reply #126 on: December 17, 2020, 03:38:35 pm »
No faffing here. Melt a little ( half teaspoonful) butter in a small nonstick frying pan, two eggs and approx 2 tablespoons of full fat milk. Start stirring immediately, breaking and mixing yolks in with egg whites and milk. As soon as there's no runny egg, server on pre warmed plate with a slice of ham. Salt and pepper to taste. Takes 3 minutes to cook, 1 minute to eat. Eat to live. It's fuel.

Why not make an omelette then, even quicker  ;)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2020, 04:08:51 pm »
Wanna bet. My wife thinks I'm a heathen, she takes great care making scrambled eggs. She makes a posh omlette. Then calls it a fritata. Probably wrong spelling there. It's basically scrambled eggs with onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and ham or chorizo. I digress . It's not important how one cooks their own scrambled eggs as long as you enjoy it.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #128 on: December 17, 2020, 04:31:46 pm »
It's not important how one cooks their own scrambled eggs as long as you enjoy it.

Yes - to go back to why I started this thread, it's not so much about finding a definitive 'correct' answer as being interested in why people use the methods they do. A lot of it comes down to what you look for in the finished dish, whether you prefer your eggs light and fluffy or rich and creamy, dry or runny, that kind of thing. And that's just a question of preference, not right or wrong. But scrambled eggs seems to be one of those things that people get very dogmatic about.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #129 on: December 17, 2020, 05:06:07 pm »
Butter melted in the pan, eggs whisked with a dash of double cream and some ground pepper.

The egg imo needs to be cooked until the very early signs of solidification show, then turn off the heat and stir briefly before electing to stand for a minute or so.  I prefer my scrambled eggs not to "set".

A rich tomato ketchup or tomato chutney sets off sourdough toast and scrambled eggs a treat.

citoyen

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2021, 01:30:15 pm »
I had my scrambled eggs drizzled with truffle oil this morning. Yum!

The truffle oil came in a Christmas foodie gift hamper, seems like as good a use for it as any.

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2021, 01:48:12 pm »
  I prefer my scrambled eggs not to "set".

I recall Anthony Worrall Thompson characterising Delia Smiths (unset) scrambled eggs as “baby sick”  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2021, 10:20:41 am »
Frying pan with a dash of garlicky olive oil.
Nothing else added.
Served with a generous squirt of tomato ketchup.

« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2021, 01:50:00 pm »
I don't mind mine done in the pan or microwave but the way I hate them is the way they do them in every hotel in the world - rubbery.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2021, 02:16:06 pm »
I don't mind mine done in the pan or microwave but the way I hate them is the way they do them in every hotel in the world - rubbery.

You need to up your hotel game. I've had some truly excellent scrambled eggs in hotels.

They're usually fine as long as they're freshly made to order. I imagine you're thinking of the Premier Inn-style breakfast buffet, with eggs made in bulk and left steaming under the lid of their stainless steel serving tray, ending up both rubbery and swimming in water, and not even a liberal coating of brown sauce can make them edible.  :sick:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2021, 02:02:57 pm »

If you think hotel scrambled eggs are bad you don't want try hospital versions thereof!   :sick:

That said, when I stayed the night in one of our hospitals the scrambled eggs were excellent... the advantage of having a chef and kitchen preparing things from fresh.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2021, 02:12:02 pm »

You need to up your hotel game. I've had some truly excellent scrambled eggs in hotels.

They're usually fine as long as they're freshly made to order. I imagine you're thinking of the Premier Inn-style breakfast buffet, with eggs made in bulk and left steaming under the lid of their stainless steel serving tray, ending up both rubbery and swimming in water, and not even a liberal coating of brown sauce can make them edible.  :sick:

Always go to the 'egg station' where the little cheflette will cook your eggs under your keen supervision (or you can wander off to battle with the coffee robot). I avoid the hot buffet on account of it's curious lukewarm nature. I'm not sure what route baked beans take to China, but they didn't benefit from it.

That said, I normally just take all the baguettes and all the cheese and construct numerous cheese sandwiches.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2021, 10:04:58 am »
2 duck eggs scrambled with butter, mixed with some diced ham & a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes.   :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark