Author Topic: Abdon Burf Climb (Brown Clee Hill)  (Read 2662 times)

Abdon Burf Climb (Brown Clee Hill)
« on: 03 October, 2020, 11:40:26 pm »
Back in Sept, while staying near Cleobury Mortimer, thought I'd have some fun and take in the Abdon Burf climb (Brown Clee Hill 540m - highest point in Shropshire), & Titterston Clee Hill (533m); ride ~60km / 1250metres.

Not sure how well known the Abdon Burf climb is - anyone done it?       Veloviewer segment:  https://veloviewer.com/segment/18101350
Piece in cycling weekly:  Five climbs you‘ve probably never heard of but need to go and ride
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/five-climbs-youve-probably-never-heard-need-go-ride-352571

Right from the off, into the lowest gear.  (DT 50-39-24 & 11-32)  The steepest section is the first stretch - and I had to lean forward to stop the front wheel lifting off the road.  Straight & steep from the start up to the first grid. Not sure what it would take for me to be able to climb this hill without stopping, but too much any way.  Stopped quite a few times on the way up.

YouTube video (taken on VIRB), as I approach the summit, then the descent (x3 speed).   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV4h7w67kls&t=63s  (enjoy the specially selected royalty free YT music  :P )  The ascent video was far too jerky, as I weaved all over the place - hence omitted.

Video just of the view from summit.  Murky day, but the view was impressive.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKnFFc_S_ZQ

Met one other cyclist (on descent), with whom I had a good chat.  He said it was probably his last climb of this hill, as he was 70, and would give it a rest now.  I said 'you say that, but...'   ;)

IMG_ab1 by a oxon, on Flickr

IMG_ab2 by a oxon, on Flickr

IMG_ab3 by a oxon, on Flickr

IMG_ab5 by a oxon, on Flickr

ab6 by a oxon, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Abdon Burf Climb (Brown Clee Hill)
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:59:05 am »
Did have a go at this one about 2-years ago on a 75 mile ride from home and back (near Birmingham) and found it impossible.  Cycling weekly claim it is only 25% max gradient but I have climbed Asterton Bank which is also 25% and thought that Abdon Burf is definitely steeper (at least 30%).

The problem with Abdon Burf (for me) was the debris on the road together with a 'film' of slippery moss like substance whereby I could not get any traction on it.  I therefore had to walk up most of it and also walked down again later.

The climb of Titterstone Clee was a lot easier in comparison.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2020, 11:18:22 am »
Sheep, cattle grids and drains; all it needs is dogs on extending leads!

What's the ruined building on the right as you go down? Agricultural or industrial?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2020, 12:12:47 pm »
I used to live a few miles from there, though it was before I cycled (Those two things may be connected) I've walked it a few times, great views from the top, I can't remember ever seeing anyone cycling. 
There must be plenty of good climbs in the area, anything off the Morville to Craven Arms road, on either side, used to need first gear in my old van!

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2020, 02:29:48 pm »

What's the ruined building on the right as you go down? Agricultural or industrial?

I think the ruined buildings are from the former quarrying (dolerite).  The straight up incline was for loaded wagons on rail.

Apart from the other cyclist, I had a chat to a hill walker near the first grid & also another walker & son, at summit.  That was it, didn't see anyone else.   Unlike Titterstone Clee a few miles away, there's no car park /motor veh access, so the only real visitors need to expend a fair bit of energy to get there.   :)

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2020, 02:32:47 pm »
Did have a go at this one about 2-years ago on a 75 mile ride from home and back (near Birmingham) and found it impossible.  Cycling weekly claim it is only 25% max gradient but I have climbed Asterton Bank which is also 25% and thought that Abdon Burf is definitely steeper (at least 30%).

The problem with Abdon Burf (for me) was the debris on the road together with a 'film' of slippery moss like substance whereby I could not get any traction on it.  I therefore had to walk up most of it and also walked down again later.

The climb of Titterstone Clee was a lot easier in comparison.

Yes, apparently dry/summer conditions probably best to avoid slipperyness.  I had to be careful on the way down near the end, as there was a fair bit of loose tree debris on the road.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2020, 02:50:58 pm »

I think the ruined buildings are from the former quarrying (dolerite).  The straight up incline was for loaded wagons on rail.

Apart from the other cyclist, I had a chat to a hill walker near the first grid & also another walker & son, at summit.  That was it, didn't see anyone else.   Unlike Titterstone Clee a few miles away, there's no car park /motor veh access, so the only real visitors need to expend a fair bit of energy to get there.   :)
Thanks. Thought it looked like possible mining-type activity. Interesting info about the rail (presumably dramway type).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:16:45 pm »

Thanks. Thought it looked like possible mining-type activity. Interesting info about the rail (presumably dramway type).

This looks like it...    https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Photo/Abdon-Quarry-Brown-Clee_110020/

From the bench which looks down the straight incline - drum was just up behind...

IMG_20200910_abd by a oxon, on Flickr