Author Topic: Tandem length hydraulic brake hose availability?  (Read 5262 times)

Tandem length hydraulic brake hose availability?
« on: 26 October, 2020, 12:34:26 pm »
Hi - I'm thinking of using these new flat mount XT hydraulic disc brakes with the Schlitter Freestyle build that I'm planning, but will need tandem-length hose for the rear, I think - does anyone know where I can get this and which brands are good (Goodridge, perhaps?)? Thanks

Shimano Deore XT BL-M8100 + BR-M8110 Hydraulic Disc Brake - I-Spec EV - Flat Mount - J-Kit - Set RW
https://www.bike24.com/p2372193.html
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Rust never sleeps

Re: Tandem length hydraulic brake hose availability?
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2020, 03:05:24 pm »
Are you after plain boring black hose or looking for coloured hose?  I have neon green hydraulic hose from Jagwire on my recumbent. It came in a 3m length but not as cheap as above.

3m was enough for front and back hoses. Make sure to use sharp cutters for the hose, makes fitting the connectors so much easier.

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2020, 03:24:39 pm »
Are you after plain boring black hose or looking for coloured hose?  I have neon green hydraulic hose from Jagwire on my recumbent. It came in a 3m length but not as cheap as above.

3m was enough for front and back hoses. Make sure to use sharp cutters for the hose, makes fitting the connectors so much easier.

Black is fine, as long as it's decent quality housing. The recumbent frame will be matt black and polished alloy (with clearcoat). Is all hydraulic hose the same width/standard? What fittings would I need for those brakes? Thanks

« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2020, 03:25:19 pm »
https://www.gravitycycles.co.uk/980/products/clarks-30m-shimano-hydraulic-ptfe-hose-dispenser-box.aspx

That should be long enough.   :-)

Wow, bargain price
Indeed. Too good to be true. They just rang me up to apologise that that is the per metre price.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2020, 03:25:45 pm »
Hydraulic hoses are not all the same internal diameter.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2020, 03:32:29 pm »
Hydraulic hoses are not all the same internal diameter.

Ah...

« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2020, 03:58:22 pm »

Black is fine, as long as it's decent quality housing. The recumbent frame will be matt black and polished alloy (with clearcoat). Is all hydraulic hose the same width/standard? What fittings would I need for those brakes? Thanks

Appears to use the new Shimano easy fit hose system.

Basically the end of the hose you insert a metal connector then an olive and bolt outside. When you insert hose in lever and tighten bolt it crushes the olive onto the hose forming an oil tight seal. The caliper end can be the same or a banjo connector.

In easy fit the olive is built into the lever in some way (haven’t read up on caliper end). I presume you can get easy connect kits separate?

I have the post mount XT calipers and that was Jagwire kit HFA406. But suspect easy fit renders that unsuitable for the new flat mount versions. Plus I don’t think the flat mount are banjo fitting (post mount are)

Note what you’ve linked to includes the hydraulic hose pre filled. If you don’t want that it will be cheaper to buy the levers and calipers separately if getting hose and mineral oil separate anyway .

« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2020, 04:02:02 pm »

Appears to use the new Shimano easy fit hose system.

Basically the end of the hose you insert a metal connector then an olive and bolt outside. When you insert hose in lever and tighten bolt it crushes the olive onto the hose forming an oil tight seal. The caliper end can be the same or a banjo connector.

In easy fit the olive is built into the lever in some way (haven’t read up on caliper end). I presume you can get easy connect kits separate?

Note what you’ve linked to includes the hydraulic hose pre filled. If you don’t want that it will be cheaper to buy the levers and calipers separately if getting hose and mineral oil separate anyway .

Not necessarily, sometimes is still cheaper to buy this way, but I'll check. I can still use the standard hose for the front, anyway, it's just the rear that will need the longer hose. I won't be fitting it myself either, I draw the line at hydraulic disc brakes!

« Reply #10 on: 26 October, 2020, 04:14:02 pm »
There are three internal diameters available; 2.0mm, 2.3mm and 2.5mm. Which you need depends upon the brand of brakes you have.

http://www.clarkscyclesystems.com/product-range/hydraulics/dispenser-boxes-hose.html
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #11 on: 26 October, 2020, 05:32:29 pm »
Hmmm... maybe hydraulic brakes would be overkill and too grabby for road use, are the TRP Spyre or TRP Spyre SLC cable -actuated calipers any good? Might have better modulation. Not sure what flat bar brake levers would work with them, though.

« Reply #12 on: 26 October, 2020, 05:37:12 pm »
Given my recent experience of trying to get a TRP Spyre working on the back of a normal length bike I'm not sure I could recommend one for the double cable length required on a tandem.

(I haven't yet exhausted all possible confounding factors, so I'm not absolutely saying it wouldn't work, guaranteed.)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2020, 05:40:07 pm »
Why would it be grabby? Grabby is far more associated with rim brakes.  A cable disc is not going to come close to hydraulic in terms of feel / modulation.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2020, 05:47:05 pm »
Hydraulic discs are Teh Biz.  Accept no substitute.

<== has been using them on recumbents since 2001.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 26 October, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
Okay, I might stick with my original XT brakes idea then, but with Ultergra rotors (160mm front / 140mm rear)

« Reply #16 on: 26 October, 2020, 09:52:28 pm »
JE James seem to sell Shimano S SM-BH90 disc hose by the metre, that should do the job:

https://www.jejamescycles.com/product/3861/shimano-spares-shimano-sm-bh90-disc-hose-black/option/

« Reply #17 on: 27 October, 2020, 08:22:41 am »
Okay, think I'm actually going to use Ultegra BR-R8070 Hydraulic Flat Mount Disc Brake Calipers, the BH90 hose is still the correct one, but it needs the connectors shown in this hose kit - I can find the olives and 2.1 mm bore silver inserts easy enough separately, but can't seem to find the 0 degree banjo connectors on their own anywhere - does anyone know where these can be obtained?

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-sm-bh90-jk-straight-brake-hose-kit-132241.html

« Reply #18 on: 29 October, 2020, 07:56:40 pm »
According to manual that Ultegra caliper doesn’t have a banjo hose fitting, it’s an olive and bolt connection just like the lever end. See page 12.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/RADBR01/DM-RADBR01-07-ENG.pdf

But again, isn’t Laidback assembling the bike for you?

« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2020, 08:09:48 pm »
According to manual that Ultegra caliper doesn’t have a banjo hose fitting, it’s an olive and bolt connection just like the lever end. See page 12.

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/RADBR01/DM-RADBR01-07-ENG.pdf

Okay, that keeps it simple

But again, isn’t Laidback assembling the bike for you?

Yes, but I'm sourcing most of the components, because i like to

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:47:19 pm »
Try a hydraulic hose company like pirtek or think automotive.

« Reply #21 on: 30 October, 2020, 02:27:10 pm »
Okay, think I'm actually going to use Ultegra BR-R8070 Hydraulic Flat Mount Disc Brake Calipers, the BH90 hose is still the correct one, but it needs the connectors shown in this hose kit - I can find the olives and 2.1 mm bore silver inserts easy enough separately, but can't seem to find the 0 degree banjo connectors on their own anywhere - does anyone know where these can be obtained?

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-sm-bh90-jk-straight-brake-hose-kit-132241.html

You also need the funny flanged bolt, which the levers don't come with. This is different to the one on the calliper end.

It's almost worth buying the pre-filled kit just to ensure you have all the bits.

« Reply #22 on: 30 October, 2020, 03:13:50 pm »

You also need the funny flanged bolt, which the levers don't come with. This is different to the one on the calliper end.

It's almost worth buying the pre-filled kit just to ensure you have all the bits.

The pre-filled quite won't be the right length, though- though I guess the longer one would fit the front at least. Is it possible to get this bolt on its own elsewhere?

BTW the Ultegra calipers arrived today, they look very smart!

« Reply #23 on: 30 October, 2020, 05:06:35 pm »

« Reply #24 on: 30 October, 2020, 05:31:26 pm »
SJS probably have the bits you need

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-spares-shimano-disc/?page=3

Thanks, I'll take a look, can always ask their advice