Author Topic: Portugal Vineyards  (Read 11754 times)

Portugal Vineyards
« on: 02 November, 2020, 11:35:17 am »
I've been on their eMail list for a couple of years, but I just realised I had 8 weeks to take advantage of their business model: distributing wines at local Portuguese prices within the EU https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/

Basically, shipping adds on slightly less than £1 bottle so something like this is £4, which I  reckon stacks up against £7-8 bought locally quite happily, this for the red, probably more for example. I ordered 5 cases,  from order to delivery was 2 weeks, in line with the original info.

Does help to know something about Portuguese wines, but you can't go too far wrong.

Re: Portugal vinyards
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:30:20 pm »
Yes ,  I've had several cases of excellent wine from them.   The last order took about a week to arrive. 

Order while you can  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:19:44 pm »
Oh that does look good. What wine is worth ordering?
Also, port. Too much choice and no idea.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:43:29 pm »

Mariposa Red 2015   
    6,25 €   
    [size=78%] [/size]
    Quinta do Covão Selected Harvest Red 2015   
    7,85 €   

Messias Selection Unoaked Douro Red 2015   
    5,85 €   

Dom Diogo Arinto White 2018   
    5,05 €   

Pequenos Rebentos Alvarinho Trajadura White 2019   
    5,55 €   

My last order.   I think the Mariposa & the Quinta were thee best of the reds, and I wish I'd ordered more of the white. 

Hmmmm ... from 2019
This place has very good prices for Portuguese wines.  The following are all made by the chap who did yours.https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/search?orderby=price&orderway=asc&search_query=carlos+eduardo&submit_search=Search&p=2I enjoyed this from M&S https://www.marksandspencer.com/quinta-de-fafide-estate-reserva-case-of-6/p/p21127281  and found the same stuff a lot cheaper on that site. https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/wines/4635-quinta-de-fafide-reserve-red-2016-5609851524007.html?search_query=Quinta+de+Fafide&results=6

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2020, 05:00:54 am »
Oh that does look good. What wine is worth ordering?
Also, port. Too much choice and no idea.

My recommendation is slightly different from andrewc, that is, unless you know what you are ordering, max out at  €5 euro a bottle and don't be afraid of the 2 - 3 € stuff. The white I linked to above is extraordinarily nice, much fruitier and fuller than the normal vinho verde and a personal favourite when I discovered Moncao, cycling through during their wine festival week. Duoro is very sound for reds, especially if you want to spend more money on a bottle, and Dao for satisfying quaffing. I don't think you will go far wrong with any of their wines, the prices you see are those you find in the supermarkets in Portugal  for everyday wines.

Port? Where to start. If you haven't, try a white port, they are drier and make a great aperitif. Colehita port is another gem rarely seen outside portugal - think of it as a Tawny on steroids. My own go-to for port tends to be LBV for convenience and price, and the cheapest LBV on the site looks to be a bargain.

Have a look at Majestic Portugal selection - the white I was talking about is at least as good as the Cazas Novas @ £10.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:14:33 am »
Re Majestic  ....  the Vidigal Porta 6 has been our house red for years since celebrity chef (and cyclist hater) James Martin recommended it on one of his TV programmes. This is now available in Sainsbury's, occasionally for under a fiver. The Porta 6 reserva is £9.99 (mix six) and is a worthwhile step up. Sadly Sainsbury's do not stock this.
I am thinking of getting a case which will include some P6 reserva and some of the Quinta do Pinto which one of my local restaurants have at £39 and £49 a bottle which seem to correspond to the two on offer at Portugal Vineyards.
I will (have to) include some whites. Thanks for the suggestion re the white.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2020, 02:44:28 pm »
The grape varieties of the Porto 6 Riserva identify it as a Duoro, so looking on the Portugal website I'd choose this  as an equal and this   as a beater.

While we're at it, if anyone likes a bottle of sweetie, the Duoro moscatel or the Setubal version, for that matter) is very worth chucking into the basket.

ETA, while I'm at it the standard Porto 6 grapes identify it as a Lisboa, probably, so I would point to this rough equivalent

EATA: haha - if I'd have looked at the Majestic page for Porto 6 I would have read "Lisbon". Nice to know I got it right  ;D ;D

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 03 November, 2020, 03:51:52 pm »
I remember having some nice red port in Lisbon years ago that wasn't overly sweet and sticky but have no idea what it was...

« Reply #8 on: 03 November, 2020, 04:59:06 pm »
Possibly a ruby port? That's another you tend not to see over here, they tend to be less sweet.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 03 November, 2020, 05:05:58 pm »
What I need is a tasting kit!

« Reply #10 on: 03 November, 2020, 05:08:49 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 03 November, 2020, 05:48:25 pm »
I had spotted the Quinto do Noval selection which is a bit dearer at €12.35, thank you :)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:04:44 pm »
Right, done. You're a bad influence, you are :P

« Reply #13 on: 03 November, 2020, 07:32:59 pm »
Bastard.

The last thing i need is a website offering really nice Tawny Port, Colheita and Madeira.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:32:40 pm »
The cheapest wine I bought was vinho verde at about €2.50 each. Even if it's shit it'll be ok for cooking at that price...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #15 on: 03 November, 2020, 08:35:36 pm »
So I am thinking of making an order for a few reds.  What would you recomend.

« Reply #16 on: 03 November, 2020, 09:52:19 pm »
Oh my. You've not given me any parameters, so I'll stick to less than €5, smooth drinking with flavour

So, trying to avoid selecting for myself (although obviously there is an element of that)

Duoro & Dao typically have character, in a classic french manner.

this Dao looks well worth the money (made by the same people who do the Porto 6 - which you can get, too)  https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/dao/4196-vidigal-dao-red-2017-5601996550118.html

Duoro stuff
https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/douro/6801-cadao-red-2018-5601247031120.html

This one I'd expect to be a bit more new worldly https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/douro/4003-adega-de-vila-real-reserve-red-2016-5602079055100.html

I've bought some of these as a meal quaffing wine, haven't tried it yet
https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/douro/11802-cara-a-cara-superior-red-2018-5600752489105.html

Looking for "softer" wines? drop down to Alentejo. I confess, I don't know that much about them, but I doubt you'll get a duff bottle. Expect easy drinking.

This looks like a good example https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/alentejo/9482-loios-red-2019-5604135001144.html

HTH

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: 03 November, 2020, 10:16:20 pm »
Adega Mayor Reserve Red 2017

there are many great wines

probably will make another order before the Brexit

« Reply #18 on: 03 November, 2020, 10:19:56 pm »
I should add that my basic familiarity with Portuguese wine (I claim no more) was the one good result of my shit-for-brains BiL retiring there (they are back now).

« Reply #19 on: 08 November, 2020, 05:11:29 pm »
Two cases of  vin ordinaire, as recommended above, duly ordered so we will see. I wish I had known about this site when the pound was worth 1.46 euros.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: 08 November, 2020, 05:15:28 pm »
I got a £5 voucher because you placed that order.  Now I'll have to buy some more  :P

« Reply #21 on: 08 November, 2020, 08:09:13 pm »
I am getting very tempted. You lot are a bad influence.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #22 on: 11 November, 2020, 09:50:00 am »
I got a £5 voucher because you placed that order. 

How does that work?
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #23 on: 11 November, 2020, 10:24:41 am »
I got a £5 voucher because you placed that order. 

How does that work?

They have a "refer a friend" scheme.   I think I mentioned this site to people over a year ago & sent Canardly the details.

« Reply #24 on: 12 November, 2020, 12:53:16 pm »
Yes you provide a referral email adress when ordering for the first time. They also give the person ordering a fiver off the next order.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain