Author Topic: Yet another monitor question  (Read 2960 times)

Re: Yet another monitor question
« Reply #25 on: 09 November, 2020, 05:43:26 pm »
Moved Mrs GB's laptop into the study so she could get a privacy for this afternoon's work and managed to break my cheap USB-C to Displayport adapter.

Down to one monitor until a new cable (a proper one) I just happened to order yesterday arrives.

Productivity halved.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #26 on: 09 November, 2020, 05:59:12 pm »
I have a Lindy adapter.  Very happy with both quality and performance.

« Reply #27 on: 09 November, 2020, 06:10:46 pm »
I'm another vote for two screens. My setup is slightly different.

I have a home PC with a Dual Display. The monitors are 19" Eizo Flexscan, they are 16 years old but still Quite Good, I don't think they owe me anything and I'd likely replace them with two of similar size and quality if one went, although maybe nothing like that is still available, I certainly prefer the 4:3 format to widescreen. They have VGA and DVI input, driven from one card on my Windows box. Then, I have a work laptop on a stand, so that the screen is level with the middle of the other two. I use an Eizo front switch bezel to switch the middle monitor between home and work PC (connected via an HDMI-VGA lead) and that works fine. I quite like the resolution on the Eizo being "lower" so all I have to do to enlarge is to drop a window from the laptop onto it, but the variable ratios works ok most of the time but I like and would recommend the dual monitor display being the same on both, unlike the OP.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 09 November, 2020, 07:16:42 pm »
Yeah I noted that Eizo do 21" 4:3 monitors, but not at £650 a pop!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #29 on: 09 November, 2020, 07:33:18 pm »
I should point out that I bought mine secondhand in about 2006, paid the same as for a new HokeyMokey3000 brand. Worked out well for me, obviously no guarantee that it would again.

Afasoas

« Reply #30 on: 09 November, 2020, 09:14:50 pm »
Yeah I noted that Eizo do 21" 4:3 monitors, but not at £650 a pop!

Could you mount a monitor arm to the desk so that you can swing the left monitor out, giving a bit more space for a larger right monitor?
Since leaving the sanctity of the office, screen real estate is at a premium, given that one monitor seems to be almost fully dedicated to slack, the other to an remote desktop session into the mother ship and there are no large TVs displaying the graphs and charts that we have to pay attention to.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 10 November, 2020, 04:40:11 pm »
Spot the difference.
2020-11-10_04-04-09 by The Pingus, on Flickr

2020-11-10_04-04-25 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Next I could really do with bringing the monitors an inch or two closer to me than they are, but to do that I'll have to replace the worktop  of the desk they're sitting on so it sits proud of the legs under it. Or buy two monitor arms, which might be less faff, though I'm not sure there's enough room for a clamp on the sides and at the back might be too far away...

« Reply #32 on: 10 November, 2020, 04:53:05 pm »
Would it help to have the left monitor turned round to portrait mode leaving the right in landscape?

I used this combination when I was working and still do at home.

« Reply #33 on: 10 November, 2020, 05:18:00 pm »
Out of curiosity, where did you get the newer Dell monitor from please?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 10 November, 2020, 05:25:12 pm »
Ebuyer.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #35 on: 10 November, 2020, 05:26:41 pm »
Err, is that not confidential client data?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 10 November, 2020, 06:00:59 pm »
Deeply unexciting data mostly, but point taken.

« Reply #37 on: 10 November, 2020, 10:16:02 pm »
Dual monitor support FTW, eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Twin-Arm-Desk-Mount-Monitor-Screen-Ergonomic-Tilt-Swivel-Rotation-15-32/362687459756?epid=24034583137&hash=item5471db71ac:g:Nk0AAOSwoEpek8vP

I should add, all arms are not created equal, I'm quite happy with the value of a single arm I got from that seller, but it isn't a patch on my heavy duty double. It WILL do the job, though.