Author Topic: Aspirational meet 2021  (Read 13122 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Aspirational meet 2021
« Reply #50 on: 10 December, 2020, 04:25:48 pm »
I want to see my friends
I miss my friends

Aww I love that!
Some of her stuff is verging on twee but that one's great. I went to see her when she came to Bristol a couple of years ago – the only gig I've ever been to in a launderette!  :o

Ooh ooh ooh I went to a gig in a launderette once! With Crinkylion and Slowcoach!
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: 10 December, 2020, 04:42:19 pm »
I want to see my friends
I miss my friends

Aww I love that!
Some of her stuff is verging on twee but that one's great. I went to see her when she came to Bristol a couple of years ago – the only gig I've ever been to in a launderette!  :o

Ooh ooh ooh I went to a gig in a launderette once! With Crinkylion and Slowcoach!
Wow! And I thought it was unusual. Who did you see?

In other launderette news: at least 25 years ago, I went into a launderette to actually wash my clothes. Two blokes came in, completely pissed, one says to the other 'Go on, just like the advert, do it,' and other one stripped naked, put his clothes in the machine, took them out and get dressed again. I don't know whether he was actually wearing Levis.... I do remember that when I told my sister, she got quite interested and wanted to know which launderette! I had to tell her that this bloke looked nothing at all like that Levi's model...

Errm, is that too wildly off topic, do we need A Random Thread for Weird Things that Happen in Launderettes?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #52 on: 10 December, 2020, 06:13:19 pm »
We saw Blue Rose Code at the Old Cinema Launderette in Durham. It was superb.

Cudzo, you do know this is YACF, right?
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 10 December, 2020, 06:24:40 pm »
The only things that have happened to me in launderettes are washing powder allergy and a creepy Italian bloke.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #54 on: 10 December, 2020, 07:21:28 pm »
The whole world is YACF. The place where nothing stays on topic but there is a topic for everything. Isn't that right?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #55 on: 11 December, 2020, 10:28:13 pm »
The whole world is YACF. The place where nothing stays on topic but there is a topic for everything. Isn't that right?

Reckon so!
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #56 on: 15 December, 2020, 09:15:44 pm »
The only things that have happened to me in launderettes are washing powder allergy and a creepy Italian bloke.

One of my daughters once got chatted up by a creepy Italian bloke but it was in Italy and not in a launderette. She got away by convincing him she was really French and from a long way away, not France. The advantages of a college education  ;D  (her French is actually a lot better than mine in spite of never having lived here).

« Reply #57 on: 17 December, 2020, 08:44:05 pm »
Apparently I may be stabbed by early 2021 but you snapper whippers may not be done until 2022. So what do we do? Do we have a masqued ball?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #58 on: 17 December, 2020, 08:45:29 pm »
Apparently I may be stabbed by early 2021 but you snapper whippers may not be done until 2022. So what do we do?

Stay in the hoose and keep aspiring.

« Reply #59 on: 17 December, 2020, 08:52:06 pm »
Apparently I may be stabbed by early 2021 but you snapper whippers may not be done until 2022. So what do we do? Do we have a masqued ball?

A lot depends upon how the virus spreads over the next four or so months.  I'd not like to second guess that for now.

Until then though, stay safe.

« Reply #60 on: 14 February, 2021, 07:57:39 pm »
Where do you fancy going?

I could see what we can book for Silverdale in May.  Lots of camping, cycling, walking and other touristy things such as Leighton Moss RSPB, gateway to The Lakes, etc.

Silverdale sounds great, I'd be up for that - I know things are still uncertain and Covid is dragging, but yes sometime this year.

Also heading for Scotland sometime this Summer would be a good idea this year with the restrictions on travelling abroad and costs of tests / possible quarantine - more would probably be up for it this year

Speaking as a former regular visitor to the Outer Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland, Dumfries is barely north midlands of the UK. 
However, experience tells me that it is difficult to get folk to travel too far.   It is even difficult to get the north east of England membership anywhere much south or west of Appleby.

Travel there by coach it's cheaper! I took my bike on the coach last year, its a foldup so I was okay whatever, but when National express staff heard I had a bike they was okay with it they wanted it in a bag. The official policy says no unfolded bikes. Also because of social distancing last year they were only half filling coaches so more space for bags and elbow room.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #61 on: 08 March, 2021, 03:23:48 am »
Where is the May 14th meet Rich?
At the Camping and Caravanning Club site at Kingsbury Water Park. PB.

The May weekend meet has now been cancelled by  :(

Hopefully we will be able to get out to the rest of the years ones.

If anyone is a member of the C+CC and wants to join us, you can camp at the rally rate listed below.
This price is the same if you arrive by bike or by car, it is per unit per night.
Effectively £18 for a weekends (3 nights) camping.
We have lightweight grass pitches booked so small/medium tents are the best  :)

Fri June 11th Keswick 3 nights Solo £6.00 Couples £8.00 Now Full-up.
Followed directly by
Mon June 14th Barnard Castle 3 Nights Solo £6.00 Couples £8.00 Now full up

Fri July 2nd West Runton 3 Nights Solo £6.00 Couples £8.00
Followed directly by
Mon July 5th Sandringham 3 Nights Solo £6.00 Couples £8.00

July 29th Watlington 5 Nights £5.00 PPPN

Aug 20th Salisbury 3 Nights Solo £8.00 Couples £10.00

Sept 24th Leek 2 Nights Solo £6.00 Couples £8.00

Oct 15th Mabelthorpe   2 Nights Solo £6.00 Couples £8.00

If anyone is planning to come along and join us, I do need to know in advance so as to let the site know.

« Reply #62 on: 20 March, 2021, 10:31:09 am »
AIUI, currently campsites and self catering can open from 12th April.  However, given the next wave already in mainland Europe and some levelling out in regions of the UK, I am going to predict that gates and doors will open wide as per Christmas and then slam unceremoniously shut, also as per Christmas. 

I am not going to book anything simply because it's impossible to know just what is going to happen yet.

I haven't bothered to factor in vaccine rollout but many of our number including myself (age 58) still await our first jab.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #63 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:18:34 pm »
AIUI, currently campsites and self catering can open from 12th April.  However, given the next wave already in mainland Europe and some levelling out in regions of the UK, I am going to predict that gates and doors will open wide as per Christmas and then slam unceremoniously shut, also as per Christmas. 

I am not going to book anything simply because it's impossible to know just what is going to happen yet.

I haven't bothered to factor in vaccine rollout but many of our number including myself (age 58) still await our first jab.
[/color]

Get onto the NHS website - with your NHS number and you can make a booking - no need to wait for your GP Surgery to contact you - my wife did that and went the next day for her jab.  Being ancient I had mine at the beginning of Feb

« Reply #64 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:46:49 pm »

[/color]

Get onto the NHS website - with your NHS number and you can make a booking - no need to wait for your GP Surgery to contact you - my wife did that and went the next day for her jab.  Being ancient I had mine at the beginning of Feb

Problem is Rob they only offer me vaccination locations miles away and I have no easy means to get there. 

The nearest is just over 9 miles but requires two buses and two transition walks.  Because I don't know the area finding bus stops will be difficult, knowing if the bus coming is the one I want alsondifficult, then having to actually get to the venue, find the way in, have the jab and then get home again.

The next venue is inaccessible by public transport: next requires buses and trains, and so it gets ever worse.  Because of where the one in Leicester is it will take best partnof a whole day to get there and back for me.  Two trains, a walk, a bus and a further walk.

In contrast our local gp vaccination centre is 1km from my door.  I'd prefer to wait a little longer to be honest.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #65 on: 21 March, 2021, 07:26:28 am »

[/color]

Problem is Rob they only offer me vaccination locations miles away and I have no easy means to get there. 

The nearest is just over 9 miles but requires two buses and two transition walks.  Because I don't know the area finding bus stops will be difficult, knowing if the bus coming is the one I want alsondifficult, then having to actually get to the venue, find the way in, have the jab and then get home again.

The next venue is inaccessible by public transport: next requires buses and trains, and so it gets ever worse.  Because of where the one in Leicester is it will take best partnof a whole day to get there and back for me.  Two trains, a walk, a bus and a further walk.

In contrast our local gp vaccination centre is 1km from my door.  I'd prefer to wait a little longer to be honest.

I'm guessing that the system offers you Stoneleigh, the showground?  - that's where my wife went, I went to Stratford Hospital.   Surprised that your GP isn't on the case for, especially in view of the eyesight/travel issues - I'd get onto them and ask.

« Reply #66 on: 21 March, 2021, 08:12:50 am »
I have. 

« Reply #67 on: 23 April, 2021, 08:46:44 am »

Thankfully as things stand the next wave of virus is yet to surface so the possibility of a camping trip has risen significantly. 

In terms of vaccinations I would expect more of us have has the first dose but our second doses are still in the freezer. 

There is also the issue for some of us regarding travel.  I had the need to take a train earlier this week and it was a mixed experience.  On the outward journey I had a whole carriage to myself but on the return the train was close to a third full.  People are choosing to travel.

I guess the question is, how do people feel about a camping trip any time soon?

« Reply #68 on: 27 April, 2021, 02:13:03 pm »
I've just booked does week camping cycling in cornwall from 17th. what I found is that Great western at least (10 days ago)were.only booking a.month a head on Sundays because there has such vast cancellations.from previous restrictions.
I only found out when calling customer Serbia and asking why i.kept.getting an.error.when finishing booking....it all looked fine, let me reserve seats.
So if carefully check war it on site and also check what's happening with customer.services before provisionally arranging anything
17th of May is first.day.in England when campsites can have shared facilities open

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk

« Reply #69 on: 27 April, 2021, 10:28:26 pm »
I'm not going to be feeling safe-ish until early July (3 wks after 2nd stabbing).  By which time Bog knows what state the country will be in. Lockdown 3 ?

I'd like to meet up with friends again if we can , but I don't anticipate doing much riding, I'm horribly out of shape!    Get distantly pissed around a campfire ?

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #70 on: 04 May, 2021, 08:56:24 pm »
I'm not going to be feeling safe-ish until early July (3 wks after 2nd stabbing).  By which time Bog knows what state the country will be in. Lockdown 3 ?

I'd like to meet up with friends again if we can , but I don't anticipate doing much riding, I'm horribly out of shape!    Get distantly pissed around a campfire ?

Drinking (tea) round a campfire is my current level of fitness.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #71 on: 05 May, 2021, 06:50:49 pm »
Drinking tea (or beer, juice, etc) round a campfire is the basic level of fitness required at YACF camping meets. Anything beyond this is purely a bonus. Great to see you again, Trangia's almost boiling!

« Reply #72 on: 09 May, 2021, 10:54:00 pm »
I really hope we can have a meet this year. If only so I can play with this https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2220818
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #73 on: 12 May, 2021, 08:16:16 am »
I'm up for BC in June pm sent

« Reply #74 on: 12 May, 2021, 06:21:04 pm »
I am getting my 2nd jab on the 17th May so I am happy to come out to play again should,,a meet within range be arranged  :) . Twitys tipis anyone? :) I used the green man at long Itchington last September and there is a very nice new landlord there, but the toilets in the pub are locked at night due to a new alarm system and the toilets in recreation ground are updated and also locked at night which is a little inconvenience   ;)
the slower you go the more you see