Author Topic: Aspirational meet 2021  (Read 13168 times)

Aspirational meet 2021
« on: 09 November, 2020, 09:08:02 pm »
Can we set a provisional meet for a long camping week end meet next year, aspirational or otherwise? Something to look forward to. It would be rather nice for us to all get together once again suitably injected and in celebratory mood. (how are they going to deal with minus 80 deg C?)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Re: Aspirational meet 2021
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2020, 12:50:21 pm »
Where do you fancy going?

I could see what we can book for Silverdale in May.  Lots of camping, cycling, walking and other touristy things such as Leighton Moss RSPB, gateway to The Lakes, etc.

Gibraltar Farm has a group field which could accommodate 30 tents quite easily but also open camping fields.  The facilities block is very good and there are even launderette facilities for the dirty beggars.  There is also a touring caravan / campervan area for those who love their tin boxes.

Depending upon numbers there is a nice Indian restaurant, a couple of pubs, a chippy (I believe though we've never used it) and a Coop. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2020, 12:59:01 pm »
Something aspirational is a good idea, more mentally than physically, ie perhaps not to sink resources into or to write into a calendar (I'm not getting a 2021 calendar, I'm skipping straight to 2022).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2020, 04:24:06 pm »
YES!!!!

Please and thank you.

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2020, 05:13:02 pm »
Is that a very timed and reserved yes in principle, to Gibraltar Farm or to everything?    🙂

« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2020, 07:37:11 pm »
Is that a very timed and reserved yes in principle, to Gibraltar Farm or to everything?    🙂

Anything! I want to see my friends *gestures broadly around the forum*. Also, I want something to look forward to.

« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2020, 08:49:09 pm »
So how about provisionally the long weekend of 14th May at Gibraltar Farm, Silverdale?

Easily accessed by road and rail with plenty of entertainment options and accessible to the more northerly contingent.

It's always possible to arrange two consecutive weekends, one in the north, one further south to give folk more options still.

« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2020, 09:48:16 pm »
So how about provisionally the long weekend of 14th May at Gibraltar Farm, Silverdale?

Easily accessed by road and rail with plenty of entertainment options and accessible to the more northerly contingent.

It's always possible to arrange two consecutive weekends, one in the north, one further south to give folk more options still.

Is 14th May a long weekend? Anyway, the ALC AGM is that weekend assuming they are having meets again by then.

« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2020, 12:41:35 pm »
Oooo additional 3rd June bank holiday next year due to Liz sitting on the throne for a long time.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2020, 12:49:29 pm »
Reading Hello magazine.

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2020, 12:56:36 pm »
Oooo additional 3rd June bank holiday next year due to Liz sitting on the throne for a long time.

The extra day is in 2022, not 2021.  I'm not sure that I'd want to be fighting for space on a bank holiday personally.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2020, 03:51:36 pm »

She should eat more fibre. But it's in 2022 anyway. Seems a bit ambitious planning that far ahead for someone her age.

I'll express a tentative interest in this camping trip. There are still quite a few of you I've never met irl and I should stop being such a misanthrope and put that right.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2020, 03:57:46 pm »
Bother, misread the announcement. Never mind.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2020, 05:05:00 pm »
I'm not sure that I'd want to be fighting for space on a bank holiday personally.
This.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:23:57 pm »

I think that's a good idea, as depending on the state of play, people may want to avoid public transport.  And then there's the option of attending both using touring tactics.

As for other events (ALC, York Rally and such), I reckon it's all going to be up in the air for some time.  The BHPC is an exception, as we're able to organise racing events under COVID-secure rules, but the 2021 calendar is very much a work in progress.  I do know we've got Darley Moor for the end of August.  Might hear more at the AGM on Sunday.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #15 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:28:40 pm »
The BHPC is an exception, as we're able to organise racing events under COVID-secure rules

Velomobiles are really coming into their own right now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #16 on: 13 November, 2020, 12:54:02 pm »

I think that's a good idea, as depending on the state of play, people may want to avoid public transport.  And then there's the option of attending both using touring tactics.

My view is then to arrange consecutive weekends avoiding the bank holidays and half terms.  I don't know if that's the weekends of 7th and 14th or 14th and 21st but would suggest one in Silverdale in the hope of attracting a few northerners and one somewhere like Wing to attract southerners.  Nothing to say that folk can't attend either or both and there is the potential to have a week on tour between weekends should that appeal to some.

I am very happy to arrange site bookings but somebody else will need to take responsibility for any "organised" rides or folk can just do as they please.  Me personally, I'd be looking to relax and catch up with friends and acquaintances both old and new.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2020, 01:17:01 pm »
The BHPC is an exception, as we're able to organise racing events under COVID-secure rules

Velomobiles are really coming into their own right now.

No special consideration in TEH RULEZ for velomobiles and streamliners (they're still breathing the same air, even if it's through a small hole).  Everyone has to maintain 2 metres separation (ie. no drafting) or risk disqualification.  It's boring, but it means we still get to come out to play.  TBH, most of the excitement this year has been at the slower end anyway.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2020, 01:55:41 pm »
These are the provisional dates for next years ALC meets.

Mar 5th
Apr 2nd
May 14th
June 11th
July 2nd
July 29th
Aug 20th
Sept 24th
Oct 15th

June 18th (York Rally?)

« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2020, 01:58:48 pm »
Where is the May 14th meet Rich?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2020, 04:27:44 pm »
Where is the May 14th meet Rich?

At the Camping and Caravanning Club site at Kingsbury Water Park. PB.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2020, 05:17:01 pm »
Random aside, but what will this 70 year jubilee in 2022 by called? We've gone through the normal silver and gold, we've had diamond, what's next: platinum? Titanium? Carbon fibre?

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2020, 05:32:48 pm »
Platinum I believe.

« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2020, 10:43:02 pm »
Wing? To us southerners that's the Midlands. How about Sixpenny Handley?

My view is then to arrange consecutive weekends avoiding the bank holidays and half terms.  I don't know if that's the weekends of 7th and 14th or 14th and 21st but would suggest one in Silverdale in the hope of attracting a few northerners and one somewhere like Wing to attract southerners.  Nothing to say that folk can't attend either or both and there is the potential to have a week on tour between weekends should that appeal to some.

I am very happy to arrange site bookings but somebody else will need to take responsibility for any "organised" rides or folk can just do as they please.  Me personally, I'd be looking to relax and catch up with friends and acquaintances both old and new.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #24 on: 15 November, 2020, 07:13:55 am »
I take your point JBB and reasonably every Scottish forumite would observe that even Silverdale is not exactly North.

I have been ruminating an idea with would require little commitment save for somebody to organise the southern weekend.

How about three consecutive weekends going either north-south or south-north.  The three venues would be Silverdale in the north, Kingsbury Water Park in the middle and somewhere such as Sixpenny Handley in the south.  I am happy to organise Silverdale and I have it on good authority that there is plenty of room at Kingsbury Water Park for non-ALC'ers.  Somebody would need to volunteer to do the organising of the southern site. 

We would need is a southern volunteer and a decision on whether we're going north south or vice versa.  Some folk could make a tour of it and include two or even a three weekends should they so wish.

I'm proposing the weekends of 7th, 14th and 21st May 2021, covid notwithstanding.

Time to give it serious thought. 

I'm having thoughts about pilots for Yelliphant and my ability to participate but that's my problem for another thread.