Author Topic: Cheap waterproof over trousers or trousers  (Read 951 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Cheap waterproof over trousers or trousers
« on: 17 November, 2020, 01:03:09 pm »
I try and walk in all weathers. However I want something to wear that keeps me dry.

Any recommendations for either overtrousers or waterproof trousers.

It’s no more than say 1.5 hours of walking so breathe ability is not an issue

Cheers

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Cheap waterproof over trousers or trousers
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2020, 01:22:36 pm »
I bought a cheap pair of nylon (?) golfing overtrousers from Go Outdoors or somewhere like that - pack up to nothing.   

They have subsequently been cut-down to sort of calf-length (Capri pants!) as they then work to wear over shorts when cycling in the rain - lower legs and feet get wet but I can live with that.

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2020, 01:43:25 pm »
Mountain Warehouse is another cheap and functional outlet that have perfectly usable waterproof overtrousers.

I'm always pretty impressed by the staff in their shops too.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2020, 02:24:47 pm »
I got some waterproof overtrousers from Aldi a while ago - one of their Thursday specials. I think they cost around a tenner. They seem fine. I mainly use them for the cycle commute to the station, which is around 20 minutes. Not a regular stock item but look out for them as they come around occasionally.

One bit of advice I would give is to also get some gaiters, otherwise you'll find the water runs off from your legs onto your shoes, and you'll quickly end up with soggy feet.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2020, 06:39:48 pm »
Thanks all will take a look

« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2020, 01:50:16 pm »
Decathlon also do adequate waterproof trousers.

« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2020, 06:18:43 pm »
Possibly a bit late now, but I tend to buy MOD surplus MVP (moisture vapour permeable - similar to Goretex) waterproofs.
If you go for RAF, then you get blue rather than army cammo patterns - though the heavy duty army ones are harder wearing (typically reinforced knees) and bigger zipped leg openings for ease of putting on over boots, so better for working in if you don't mind looking a bit like a Walt.

Typically available sub £20 on ebay in unissued condition, you just need to figure out the NATO sizing (waist, bum, leg). There's very little can touch the quality for the price, and they are cheap enough to be disposable if you do manage to rip them. I wouldn't use them in preference to a modern high-end goretex (they aren't as nice to wear or as well designed as cycling specific stuff, for example), but do great for working outside, walking the dog, using as an extra layer on the motorbike etc.