Author Topic: Three Bromptons, a Moulton and a Bickerton - 200 km from Northallerton, 03/05/21  (Read 7610 times)

A pelt of Moultons...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
I remember you talking about this idea one day as we were going through Brompton on Swale.

I'll be helping, also I live within spitting distance of the start, so if legal THOFC will be making a return!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

I have entered... will be triking it

Sorry folks, it's full. I'm keeping the field relatively small (40) on the assumption that current restrictions will still be broadly the same come March.

A Ted of Moult-ons, Shirley?  Or perhaps a feather of ..., for those of us who have been to Tan Hill, as Ted famously did.  Little window  on the past, there.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Awwww feck.  Can you put me on the waiting list?  I promise to do it on one of the named bicycles!

A Ted of Moult-ons, Shirley?  Or perhaps a feather of ..., for those of us who have been to Tan Hill, as Ted famously did.  Little window  on the past, there.

:)

Somewhere, I've got a photo of the appeal they put up at Tan Hill after the windowframe with the feather and the signed pic of Ted Moulton had been nicked.

Aha, found it! I don't think it was ever returned, they suspected a New Year's party which got out of hand.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever "Everested" any of the routes to Tan Hill.  West Stonesdale from Keld would be a challenge, as would the ride from Reeth - not that I'm actually a fan of the genre - a bit too Strava for my  taste!  But the Moult connection with Everest must make Tan Hill a magnet for some obsessive.  Trouble is, anyone old enough to know will probably die!

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever "Everested" any of the routes to Tan Hill.  West Stonesdale from Keld would be a challenge, as would the ride from Reeth - not that I'm actually a fan of the genre - a bit too Strava for my  taste!  But the Moult connection with Everest must make Tan Hill a magnet for some obsessive.  Trouble is, anyone old enough to know will probably die!

Now there’s an idea - West Stonesdale

I’ll leave it to you...

It's all online if someone can be bothered to get the website to work: https://everesting.cc/hall-of-fame/#/

Karla

• car(e) free
I can't see anyone on the Everesting website who's done any of those climbs.  Peter, you could be the first!

I don't think I'll be Everesting anything any time soon, but I did read that you need a reasonable gradient. My recollection of Arkengarthdale is that it's a bit long and gentle, and you could be there a very long time. Not sure about Stonesdale, which is definitely more challenging. The Stainmore side is still on my bucket list.

Karla

• car(e) free
You're right, from Arkengarthdale you'd need to do 406 km in 45 ascents from Great Punchard Gill, which is the bridge just north of Whaw.  Stonesdale would see you do 268 km in 45 ascents from the River Swale; that's a pretty good distance for Everesting, not many people do significantly less than that.  From Stainmore you'd do 311 km in 28 ascents from the River Belah, so a bit longer but not tragic.

Hi Dean

Hope all’s well?

I presume we can’t run this? Happy just to defer if that’s the case of course - give me time to start turning my legs over agin!!

Mike

It can run but you'll have to pretend to be a school. Or a church.

It'll be Mayday now. I'm just getting the calendar and the hall organised, then I'll email everyone round.

Cheers Dean:)

I've booked the hall for Mayday, and the new date's now confirmed, so you all should have an email from me. Let me know if not.

There might be a few dropouts, but I doubt I'll re-open entries. Might have to run it again in 2022!

Just added the gpx to the garmin - prep done...

Look forward to seeing Dean and anyone else heading out to Northallerton on Monday - forecast 'interesting' enough that I've pulled the winter tights out.

Nervously under-prepared and expecting to take it slowly.

Mike

I'm starting at  07:30 and happy to work in a small group. Only condition for joining is full length guards including rear mudflap. (So I guess I will be on my own then...)

I’m at 0815 and my ‘guard’ bike is currently sans chainset. I will probably add some clip on guards to a road bike. Looks like naked is unlikely to be the right answer.

I'll be alone on the road - if you're slower than me you're probably going to be out of time as well as covered in stuff from my unguarded wheels.

I wimped out when I saw the weather forecast, so am a DNS.  Good luck tomorrow.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Two Bromptons (and twenty others) out on the road.

That was hard but good - now I’ve warmed up at any rate!

First couple of hours were lovely - sun and only a gentle headwind. Weather closed at Sherburn Coop, then became wetter and windier from York on. Not too bad when it was behind us. But the last 10 or 15 miles southwards back to Northallerton it was relentless.

A good day out, brilliant route and organisation - thanks Deano and team!

Mike