Author Topic: How do people carry luggage on a folder?  (Read 7909 times)

How do people carry luggage on a folder?
« on: 06 December, 2020, 01:29:17 pm »
I am just starting to explore ideas to get more out of my folder - nothing planned, just ideas to make it a bit more versatile than it is. It has to be said that most of my touring ideas would be just as easily, if not much more easily with a conventional tourer but no harm in looking at what is possible.

I would assume that most, if not all, of the Brompton school on here would fall into one of two categories, Brompton specific luggage or rucksack. How do the others do things (if they bother)? All ideas welcome.

Second question: The Montana has a rear carrier which is 30cm long by 14cm wide. I get heel strike with anything strapped onto it that is at the front and overlaps even a bit. Does anyone have any ideas about specific bags that would go on without overlapping the sides. I really don't know where to look, I'm even thinking of making a basket that could be strapped or bungied to make it easily removable, just to make something that would be easier to live with than a musette.

Third question: I have a barbag that would go on but have my doubts about trying it with the vertical length of the stem. Any ideas?

Final question: anyone using panniers on their folder? How far behind the rear wheel can you go? I have some big ones that would go on the back but heel strike with size 11 feet is always a problem ( I don't use them on the back of a conventional bike for the same reason.) I am tempted to try them or some smaller ones to see if I can get away with it. Putting panniers on the front would be a solution but needs some customizing to make a suitable carrier.

Just ideas for a cold and wet winter's afternoon.

Re: How do people carry luggage on a folder?
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2020, 01:40:03 pm »
The space to exploit on a folder is above the wheels. Bungeeing a hiking racksack to the back of the seatpost is a good place to start. I've bungeed a tent and sleeping bag this way (each parallel to the seatpost).

Third question: I have a barbag that would go on but have my doubts about trying it with the vertical length of the stem. Any ideas?

The leverage exerted by a bar bag will be a fraction of that exerted by the great ape at the controls.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2020, 01:42:43 pm »
The Brompton luggage block is the gold standard for good reason, to the point that some people fit them to non-Brompton bikes.

Rear-rack-wise, I used one of those over-the-top style pannier things on my 20"-wheeled folding BSO.  Worked fine (no heel strike because flat pedals), with the occasional wheelie.  I've experimentally tried fitting my Ortlieb Front-Rollers to the rear rack on my Brompton, but it isn't really a practical option.

I have used a Carradice racktop bag with the Brompton rear rack, which works fine.  Radical make a larger capacity racktop bag for the purpose.  But Brompton rear racks aren't a particularly convenient way to carry luggage, as it defeats the partial-fold-as-kickstand function, and adds faff.  They're best regarded as a way of adding stability when folded and protecting the rear mudguard, that can be used to carry additional stuff on special occasions.  (No problem bungeeing on a big pack of loo roll on the way home from a shop, for example.)

A bit of a tourist thing, but you can hang a rucksack behind the saddle, with the rear rack supporting most of the weight.  Add toe-straps or velcro for stability to taste.

« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2020, 08:25:33 pm »
I'm even thinking of making a basket that could be strapped or bungied to make it easily removable, just to make something that would be easier to live with than a musette.

When I had a Dahon, I used a cheap wire basket (Similar to an Adie) on the rack, held there with a couple of toe straps. It wasn't a bike I was ever tempted to tour on, but it carried a fair bit of work stuff and shopping, usually in a simple backpack, 25l I think.  TBH I didn't like it loaded up, the handling with a bit of veg shopping (Maybe 15 kg) was enough to make me nervous. Doesn't help that those racks are pretty flexible.  YMMV of course, but before putting to much effort into it, might be an idea to do some loaded miles, even if that's just by strapping some weight to the rack.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2020, 08:59:40 pm »

I use a caradice SQR block on the seat post, and then I bungee a 30L dry bag to that. Surprisingly effective.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2020, 12:00:42 am »

Second question: The Montana has a rear carrier which is 30mm long by 14mm wide. I get heel strike with anything strapped onto it that is at the front and overlaps even a bit. Does anyone have any ideas about specific bags that would go on without overlapping the sides. I really don't know where to look, I'm even thinking of making a basket that could be strapped or bungied to make it easily removable, just to make something that would be easier to live with than a musette.

I'd suggest getting some metal strips to extend the length of the arms connecting to the bolts at the top of the seat stays, and also mount the other end of the rack into the holes which currently have the mudguard stays.

This would mean the rack would be backwards a bit and may prevent your heel strike problem.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2020, 11:42:09 am »
As is standard on forums, an answer that doesn't answer your question... the best Brompton touring set up I ever saw was a small trailer (a Carry Freedom possibly). The owner could pack the trailer up into one bag (the wheels came off) and the Brompton into another and put the whole set up onto a train or bus allowing him to do shorter cycling legs connected up with public transport.

As a Brompton owner myself I'm nervous of putting too much weight onto the front block - I've broken one so far... my shopping carrying set up is rucksack + some stuff on the front + some stuff in a narrow bag bungeed onto the rear rack. Heavy and fragile stuff in the rucksack, heavy and not fragile stuff on the back.

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2020, 11:33:51 pm »
The space to exploit on a folder is above the wheels. Bungeeing a hiking racksack to the back of the seatpost is a good place to start. I've bungeed a tent and sleeping bag this way (each parallel to the seatpost).

The leverage exerted by a bar bag will be a fraction of that exerted by the great ape at the controls.

The Brompton luggage block is the gold standard for good reason, to the point that some people fit them to non-Brompton bikes.

Rear-rack-wise, I used one of those over-the-top style pannier things on my 20"-wheeled folding BSO.  Worked fine (no heel strike because flat pedals), with the occasional wheelie.  I've experimentally tried fitting my Ortlieb Front-Rollers to the rear rack on my Brompton, but it isn't really a practical option.

I have used a Carradice racktop bag with the Brompton rear rack, which works fine.  Radical make a larger capacity racktop bag for the purpose.  But Brompton rear racks aren't a particularly convenient way to carry luggage, as it defeats the partial-fold-as-kickstand function, and adds faff.  They're best regarded as a way of adding stability when folded and protecting the rear mudguard, that can be used to carry additional stuff on special occasions.  (No problem bungeeing on a big pack of loo roll on the way home from a shop, for example.)

A bit of a tourist thing, but you can hang a rucksack behind the saddle, with the rear rack supporting most of the weight.  Add toe-straps or velcro for stability to taste.

It seems the consensus is on the rucksack behind the seat pillar. This would make sense because you can put the rucksack on your back while carrying the folder folded (in situations where this might become appropriate, Paris Metro and the like, assorted urban tramways, train placement coaches etc). I know my panniers fasten together for carrying off-bike but it is less optimal than the sack on the back.

I too have flat pedals. They are not the solution for size 11 feet  :(  I do wonder if it would be possible to have toe strike and heel strike at the same time on some bikes! Going vertical seems an altogether more suitable solution.

I use a caradice SQR block on the seat post, and then I bungee a 30L dry bag to that. Surprisingly effective.

J

I use an SQR on another bike but the Montana has a smaller seat pillar than the Brompton and it is already out over the mark so I have hesitated to go this way, I would be too tempted to abuse it (and I would be pushed to get my stuff into a 30L sack) but a bigger rucksack resting on the rack would work. I will see what I can come up with. 60-70L should do it, and get the tent and gear all in the sack. Nice to have an excuse to buy a new sack!
As is standard on forums, an answer that doesn't answer your question... the best Brompton touring set up I ever saw was a small trailer (a Carry Freedom possibly). The owner could pack the trailer up into one bag (the wheels came off) and the Brompton into another and put the whole set up onto a train or bus allowing him to do shorter cycling legs connected up with public transport.

As a Brompton owner myself I'm nervous of putting too much weight onto the front block - I've broken one so far... my shopping carrying set up is rucksack + some stuff on the front + some stuff in a narrow bag bungeed onto the rear rack. Heavy and fragile stuff in the rucksack, heavy and not fragile stuff on the back.

One of the previous presidents of the french tandem club used to do this camping with a Bike Friday tandem - but I don't think it was especially done for ease of mixed-mode travelling. I would be tempted with a mono-wheel trailer but I don't think there are a lot of advantages over carrying it all on the bike.

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2020, 09:31:20 pm »
I saw a folder today with rear panniers! I don't know what it was but 16" wheels and quite smart. Orange colour. The paniers were TINY! About the size of a barbag each one! Not a touring option but would carry the sarnies if you put up with the hassle when folding the bike!

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2020, 01:07:29 pm »
As mentioned by Grams, the top of the rack is a good place to put cargo on a small wheeler. So a rack pack works well. I use an Altura model with webbing straps and side release buckles to secure it to the rack. Large rack packs are available. A shoulder strap on the rack pack would make it it easier to carry when off the bike.

Various pics of a bike I used to own here. Pics toward the end of the page show it with assorted cargo. It was great for carrying bike wheels when the need arose. I could tie the wheel rim to the rack top and spokes to the saddle rails. Similar technique for any bulky cargo.
http://cyclingfortransport.com/reviews/bikes/dahon-impulse-folding-bike/

Panniers weren't a good solution on that bike due to heel strike.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2021, 01:27:48 pm »
I've not been riding my 20" wheeled folder much lately, but I have a Carradice saddlebag fitted (the saddle has bag loops). For a tour I would use a bigger saddlebag, plus a racktop bag, plus a couple of medium sized panniers on the back. On the handlebars I have a Kilickfix attachment, so it's possible to add a bar bag there.

Dahon used to make a nice front lowrider type rack for their Speed TR, I picked up a couple of those racks when they were being flogged off cheaply a few years back. I have used one of them and it can take a couple of small/medium panniers plus a rack top bag or drybag/whatever bungied on top.

I do find that if you keep the weight low, the handling is fine. Haven't tried the vertical rucksack trick yet, not sure how stable that would be?
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2021, 04:39:47 pm »
Just an idea. How about a beam rack off the seatpin? I have used one on a MTB to carry a rack pack without problem.

Some have quick-release fixings and some have side frames to enable panniers to be used. This one has both.
https://www.rosebikes.com/xtreme-rose-spr-iii-seat-post-carrier-340378?product_shape=black&article_size=Standard

« Reply #12 on: 09 December, 2021, 06:20:35 pm »
Problem with that is, because seat-pins on folders are unusually long, they are already highly stressed by the rider's weight, and adding a cantilevered load is very likely to cause failure.

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2022, 09:51:07 pm »
A little update on this.
I have been using a Vaude 11l rackbag (Silkroad?, I've forgotten  :facepalm: ) for a while which gives complete satisfaction for the short run stuff. It even handles 4 baguettes at the same time with space for other stuff underneath (the baguettes stick out a bit).

With retirement projects and moving my gear for LEL volunteering I have come back to the paniers on the front. Tern still make a front panier carrier called the Spartan. It wasn't too expensive so I bought one. I tried fitting it. Tern, as many will undoubtedly know, fit the V-brakes behing the fork legs. They also use a narrow (74mm?) front hub. The Montana has a conventional front hub and classically mounted V-brakes. The Spartan rack doesn't go on! However the lower hoop can be stretched a bit (cold and with care, it's aluminium) to fit to conventional mudguard eyelets. That just leaves the problem of making a new, slightly different, top loop (with frame rails that don't foul the brakes. It is done! And it takes my big paniers without dragging on the ground. (The photos have a bad perspective, the paniers come down to about the bottom of the rack or just slightly lower). This now needs testing to see if the weight is too far forward (in which case I need my smaller paniers, the big ones are IIRC 25l each, a bit like overkill!)

I'm sure my mate will say it won't be stable enough for fast descending of cols, which may be true - but it's a folder! Who wants to go down the Alps "tombeau ouvert" on a bike with a hinge in the middle! Not me! I think it will be fine for folder compatible  touring

There are a couple of bits of rubber tube not yet fitted to the rails which serve to keep the panier back towards the fork leg to help the CoG. The rails are longer than necessary for the clips on the paniers.