Author Topic: Not draining board  (Read 2971 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Not draining board
« on: 21 December, 2020, 03:01:36 pm »
My draining board doesn't. It's stainless teel sink and drainnig board, lovingly fitted by yours truly when I re did the kitchen.  Such things are made with a bulit in fall, such that fitting it to a level work top with suitable hole means the grerby water drains off.  Puttling a level across it shows a slight depression, possbly where a clumsy plumber either plonked the boiler or stodd on it when the  central heating was fitted.

I've tried pushing hard from underneath, to no avail. What other suggwstions, short of repalcing it, does Thee Panel have?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Not draining board
« Reply #1 on: 21 December, 2020, 03:08:30 pm »
I recon re-fit.
I have a draining board with similar characteristics.
Copious amounts of de-scaler required on a monthly basis.

« Reply #2 on: 21 December, 2020, 03:22:12 pm »
A car jack underneath.

Dig out one side of your house's foundations slightly.

Or plant a suitable tree and waiting 30-50 years for the subsidence to kick in.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #3 on: 21 December, 2020, 03:31:50 pm »
Having lived in a house with a similar feature I'm struggling with why you need to do anything at all.
But maybe it just sounds similar, this one did eventually drain only into the sink, once the puddle was big enough, and it was a case of optional mopping from the draining board into the sink during/immediately after washing up.  & that was all.
Noting that the draining rack was a metallic one that holds the items well clear of the draining board itself.  One of these, but no tray.  I assume you've tried getting a tray and don't like it.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #4 on: 21 December, 2020, 03:35:15 pm »
Trouble with a lot of modern SS sink units is the damn metal guage is so thin. In the good old days 1.2mm was the norm. Now, it seems anything goes. I also have the scale problem, yuck.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 21 December, 2020, 04:14:46 pm »
SO glad I took a 13mm metal ball with me when I went shopping for a new kitchen sink.

Several sinks/drainers FAILED the marble test...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2020, 04:21:21 pm »
Ours does that.  It's also got a massive wood screw drilled through it corroding away in one corner, because landlords.  Fortunately our water is appropriated from Welsh Wales, so is devoid of significant concentrations of Canterbury Carbonate.

The gradient, so much as there is one, is on the other side of the sink, where Tweedledum and Tweedledumber the lowest-bidder gas engineers used the chipboard work surface as a ladder.  Any water splashed on that side of the sink gets channelled into the electrickery of the washing machine, or did until I constructed a levee out of Blu-tack to divert the flow towards the upturned lid of a tub of Minty Arse Lard, which is plumbed into the washing machine drain.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2020, 05:17:36 pm »
I'd unscrew the sink and put some bits of batten underneath on one side to counteract the effects of the dip, so that water can again flow into the sink.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 21 December, 2020, 05:49:14 pm »
grerby water
A typo worthy of the Jabberwocky. I commend this word to the forum and intend to start using it at the first opportunity. Thank you, Tim.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2020, 06:40:07 pm »
grerby water
A typo worthy of the Jabberwocky. I commend this word to the forum and intend to start using it at the first opportunity. Thank you, Tim.

This Unit hereby endorses this product, service or sentiment :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2020, 06:53:01 pm »
Buy new house with a properly fitted kitchen ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 21 December, 2020, 07:30:41 pm »
grerby water

I'm failing to work out what it's a typo for.  Grerby Water, of course, being a place in the Lake District where it's permanently dreich.

« Reply #12 on: 21 December, 2020, 07:32:18 pm »
Some sinks are made like that.  Only blame the fitter if they provided it.

We were due to have a kitchen fitted 4 January.  It has been put back because the sink is stuck in a lorry somewhere.  When it arrives we will give it the metal ball test. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 21 December, 2020, 07:41:37 pm »
grerby water

I'm failing to work out what it's a typo for.  Grerby Water, of course, being a place in the Lake District where it's permanently dreich.
Greasy, I presume. And wouldn't Grerby Water be a lake or reservoir in the Peak District?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 21 December, 2020, 10:45:55 pm »
It is amazing how many sinks at B&Q etc failed the metal ball test in the showroom/shed/shop.

Failure before sale is a reason to reject a sink, however swish it seems.

Suggest this is used when choosing baths and shower trays.

It's rather sad I need to make this suggestion; water has always flowed downhill and things have been designed to manage this for millennia

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #15 on: 21 December, 2020, 11:17:14 pm »
Is it just me?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16 on: 22 December, 2020, 04:50:45 pm »
A couple of things:
1.   it used to drain, it does no longer. This suggests Something Has Happened.
b)   Grerby is a perfectly cromulent word, at least it is down this way. It describes the sort of water found on a draining board that doesn't drain properly.
iii)  Here are some pictures showing the dip.

Level touching the ribs of the draining board.

Level touching the ribs at the sink end.

Level not touching in the middle.Digital caliper trickery suggests the gap is 1.7mm or thereabouts.

Paul

« Reply #17 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:04:01 pm »
I've tried pushing hard from underneath, to no avail. What other suggwstions, short of repalcing it, does Thee Panel have?
Did it work while you were applying pressure? If so, could you put a wedge in there? This might require a brace if the db is currently sitting across a gap over a (perhaps cutlery?) drawer.

I suppose that might require removal.

Maybe not. If you can get clear access (remove drawer and contents thereunder) maybe a bit of brute force would work? Hammer? Jack?

« Reply #18 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:11:00 pm »
The earth has moved.
It does that.
Also, I think 'Pukka Quality Tools' might be part of the issue here.....
Stanley is your friend.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:32:21 pm »
The question that should be asked here is did you recently wash and allow to dry an elephant?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:38:41 pm »
Did it work while you were applying pressure? If so, could you put a wedge in there? This might require a brace if the db is currently sitting across a gap over a (perhaps cutlery?) drawer.

Maybe not. If you can get clear access (remove drawer and contents thereunder) maybe a bit of brute force would work? Hammer? Jack?
There's only a dishwasher beneath. This is good, in that I can get clear access to the underside, but not so good in that I don't think I can balance a suitable wedge on top of the dishwasher. It does possibly give me scope for fixing a batten across the underside  of the draining boaard and push it upwards.

Paul

« Reply #21 on: 22 December, 2020, 05:54:45 pm »

There's only a dishwasher beneath. This is good, in that I can get clear access to the underside, but not so good in that I don't think I can balance a suitable wedge on top of the dishwasher. It does possibly give me scope for fixing a batten across the underside  of the draining boaard and push it upwards.
What about a square piece of sturdy wood (5 ply?) on top of the dw, large enough to spread any load, then a smaller block on top (with thinner bits between - laminate floor off cuts, eg - to build it up to the required height) to apply the necessary pressure?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 23 December, 2020, 12:38:16 pm »
The question that should be asked here is did you recently wash and allow to dry an elephant?

Well you'd have to, after washing the car.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23 on: 23 December, 2020, 01:34:50 pm »

What about a square piece of sturdy wood (5 ply?) on top of the dw, large enough to spread any load, then a smaller block on top (with thinner bits between - laminate floor off cuts, eg - to build i.t up to the required height) to apply the necessary pressure?
That sounds like a plan. I have laminate kicking around, plus a selection of worktop off cuts.

Regarding elephants and (shudder) washing the car. I have a 5l container of car shampoo under the sink. I use it for wasshing my bikes.

Paul

« Reply #24 on: 23 December, 2020, 05:00:42 pm »
Regarding elephants and (shudder) washing the car. I have a 5l container of car shampoo under the sink. I use it for wasshing my bikes.
I have exactly the same car-washing regime, although my car shampoo lives in the shed.