Author Topic: John Edrich (1937-2020)  (Read 1701 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
John Edrich (1937-2020)
« on: 25 December, 2020, 10:50:24 am »
For a long time, Boycott's opening partner for England. I watched him score 100 in the only test match I ever attended (India at Old Trafford, 1974). The ground was nearly empty and the following day the Grauniad printed a photo of Edrich hitting a 4. My pal Gerard and I were clearly visible in the background, surrounded by empty seats.

Good batsman, verging on great. He seemed to me to get going quite often but then got himself out.

Edit: it dawned on me after I posted this that Edrich's last hurrah as a test player was when he and Close were recalled to open the batting for England against the monstrous 1970s West Indian pace attack, for whom Tony Grieg's "Grovel" statement had been a red rag. Their combined age as opening batsmen was 84. Their torsos were covered in bruises after a particulalry hostile spell from Michael Holding.

Quote from: Wisden
The period before the close of the third day brought disquieting cricket as Edrich and Close grimly defended their wickets and themselves against fast bowling, which was frequently too wild and too hostile to be acceptable.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: John Edrich (1937-2020)
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2020, 12:23:38 am »
Quote from: Wisden
The period before the close of the third day brought disquieting cricket as Edrich and Close grimly defended their wickets and themselves against fast bowling, which was frequently too wild and too hostile to be acceptable.

That stands out as an unforgettable memory from my days during the summer holidays, sitting there, all day, watching the cricket on TV.
I've posted this before, and don't forget.....these are the days before the batsmen wore a helmet......that second delivery could have killed him...it's madness!!
I find it very uncomfortable to watch again to be honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0uglDlJVM

I've often thought that to be an opening batsman facing a proper 'quick' is probably one of the most intense places in the whole of sport. It's not for he faint hearted that's for certain.

Edrich was solid as a rock.
RIP
Garry Broad

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:51:26 am »
I first became aware of John Edrich during the series against India in 1967, watching it one lunchtime at primary school on a very grainy and blurry TV (even by TV standards of the day). I once saw him play live, a Gillette Cup tie against Lincolnshire at Lincoln. Scorecard. Lincolnshire had beaten Glamothan in the previous round. It's not recorded on the card, but i remember him hitting a six in his 22.

Lots of familiar names in that Surrey team. Another one, Robin Jackman, died yesterday.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2020, 09:37:38 am »
Referring to the 1976 battering that Close & Edrich too, I wonder how Michael Holding feels about that now?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.