Author Topic: Membership renewal  (Read 2756 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Membership renewal
« on: 25 December, 2020, 10:56:27 pm »

If you haven't already, now might be a good time to renew your Audax UK membership. if you forget and don't do it before the end of the year, you might not be able to do LEL in 2022.

This post is bought to you by me remembering I needed to renew my membership, and having just done so.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Membership renewal
« Reply #1 on: 25 December, 2020, 11:33:25 pm »
I will be 64½ when I next need to renew my membership.

I'll pay for one more year, then get FREE Life Membership and subscribe to Arrivée.

« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:33:51 am »
As a matter of interest, I wonder what proportion of the membership are 'Life Members' (having been members for 10 or more years, then being over 65, and then applying for it)? This membership category does mean that Audax UK can boast.
My recent subscription for another 5 years will see me through to Christmas 2025. Thanks @bhoot for the reminder on her recent thread.

bairn again

« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2020, 10:48:47 am »
Thanks for the reminder.  I accidentally paid double last year (by both SO which i should have cancelled and DDM) so I get a free year this time.   :thumbsup:

Not sure about LEL tho. 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2020, 01:09:49 pm »
I forgot to renew my membership last year. I only realised when I had a reminder from the events sec that I couldn't register my event as an organiser without being a fully paid-up member...  :facepalm:

But then various things happened that made it all seem a bit pointless, so I didn't get round to renewing until October, which is late enough to count for 2021 anyway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2020, 03:08:46 pm »
As a matter of interest, I wonder what proportion of the membership are 'Life Members' (having been members for 10 or more years, then being over 65, and then applying for it)? This membership category does mean that Audax UK can boast.
My recent subscription for another 5 years will see me through to Christmas 2025. Thanks @bhoot for the reminder on her recent thread.

Have to say I was a little perplexed by the "free" life membership deal - I qualify on both age and long-service . . . but the detail wasn't that obvious as to why I just had to pay for Arrivee.

It did seem to be quite generous, I would have been happy to pay the ordinary membership fee.

I also have life membership of the cycling club I ride with (that was awarded generously in respect of my committee service over the past decades) - so I just have to get some liability insurance . .. and that's from British Cycling which also gives me the somewhat dubious value member benefits

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #6 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:08:59 pm »
Have to say I was a little perplexed by the "free" life membership deal - I qualify on both age and long-service
Just to be clear - you have to qualify on both counts - ie be over 65 AND have 10 or more years' continuous membership.

Also if you do qualify for life membership, there is nothing to stop you taking a standard membership anyway!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #7 on: 27 December, 2020, 10:38:35 pm »
As a matter of interest, I wonder what proportion of the membership are 'Life Members' (having been members for 10 or more years, then being over 65, and then applying for it)?
Seeing as you asked, I did a quick check and the answer is just over 10%

« Reply #8 on: 27 December, 2020, 11:19:03 pm »
Thank you for taking the trouble to check, @bhoot

« Reply #9 on: 28 December, 2020, 11:47:44 am »
I'll have to remember not to forget to remember this in a couple of years, assuming that the life membership concession remains the same.  And I'm still capable of / interested in audax.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #10 on: 31 December, 2020, 03:46:23 pm »
If you are trying to renew today to make sure your membership is continuous and your name stays on the LEL eligibility list (assuming you are already on it of course) then please note:

a) If you select Direct Debit then as long as you successfully create the mandate and the process completes, your membership is renewed and will be continuous even though the payment won't be requested for a few days

b) We know there are issues with PayPal, especially if you try to pay with a credit or debit card. It may try to force you to create an account, but please do try backing out and re-trying, or even clicking on the "Create account" button as sometimes these actions do lead to the guest checkout option. However if it still doesn't work for you, I can see that you have tried to renew and membership will be backdated and where relevant your name will go back on the LEL list as long as you get payment to us within a few days. We have alternative methods, but if you can pay on line that is much preferred please as it's a lot less admin for me

c) If you have already sent a cheque then it might not have reached me as our post is a bit unpredictable at the moment. Generally I wil renew the day I receive something but it may not be paid in for a while.

d) If you have paid by standing order then we may not find it until a few days' after as it requires someone to manually trawl through the bank account looking for payments (which is one of the reasons we have stopped taking new standing orders). However there will be a definite payment date so we will backdate your membership if appropriate.

Happy New Year everyone, I'm looking forward to an afternoon and evening not having to process direct debits manually like I did in 2019!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #11 on: 31 December, 2020, 04:40:05 pm »
If I had not let my AUK membership lapse when I was posted to RAF Germany in 1988, my Memb No would be 252 (which was the RAF Form for airman’s arrest), whereas rejoining in 1992 it is 1369 (which is the Officer’s RAF annual report). Numerically 252 would confirm me as ancien, whereas I had enough 1369s to retire as Squadron Leader. And, yes, I am a Life Member so confirmed ancien.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.