Author Topic: My Sainsbury's seems to have run out of Whiskas...  (Read 3607 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My Sainsbury's seems to have run out of Whiskas...
« on: 26 December, 2020, 08:24:36 pm »
Our cats are picky. Sainsbury's has been unable to supply the Whiskas food they usually eat, for the last three weeks.
I would prefer to avoid Felix (Nestlé) and don't really want to start using other pricy fare.

Has anyone else had this?

I'll send D to Pets at Home tomorrow...

Re: My Sainsbury's seems to have run out of Whiskas...
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2020, 08:28:41 pm »
I was in Sainsburys this morning and noticed they had reduced the price of turkeys by 75%, I wonder why?

I've never known a cat turn up its nose at roast turkey
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 December, 2020, 08:36:00 pm »
Top tip: Don't buy M&S cat food for fussy cats, there's a risk they might like it.  (DAHIKT)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: 26 December, 2020, 09:18:24 pm »
My local Sains ran out of Christmas cake on or before the 23rd.  This has been one of those rare events, a Cupcake Christmas. (they were on offer)
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 26 December, 2020, 09:47:01 pm »
My local Sains ran out of Christmas cake on or before the 23rd.  This has been one of those rare events, a Cupcake Christmas. (they were on offer)

We managed an Iced Rich Fruit Cake slab but they'd run out of the Christmas Pudding and Butterscotch Bombe I ordered.

I ended up with a receipt for AN Other on 21 December and noted Sainsbury's did not have the Felix ordered either.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2021, 04:45:05 pm »
Does anyone here still get Whiskas delivered from Sainsbury's?

It's not been available for me since early December and in Another Place somebody can't get this either.

I sent D down to Pets at Home a couple of times but the Covid discipline there seemed poor so I said I'd not send him back.

I'm giving them Felix as I have scant choice.

« Reply #6 on: 03 February, 2021, 02:18:03 pm »
My spoilt cat usually has food from Waitrose. 
They won't deliver to us at all ever.
So now she has to make do with what the small local co-op will deliver - like the rest of the household.

« Reply #7 on: 03 February, 2021, 03:21:40 pm »
Does anyone here still get Whiskas delivered from Sainsbury's?

It's not been available for me since early December and in Another Place somebody can't get this either.

I sent D down to Pets at Home a couple of times but the Covid discipline there seemed poor so I said I'd not send him back.

I'm giving them Felix as I have scant choice.

As you're online shopping, I can recommend Zooplus.co.uk.  They are actually a Dutch company I think, but with a UK based distribution centre, and they emailed to say that they will continue to serve the UK from it. And, for what we buy (Purina Gourmet Gold) they're still cheaper than Tesco. They do Whiskas.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 03 February, 2021, 10:43:22 pm »
Thanks!
D's averse to opening the front door for deliveries. He's OK with Sainsbury's once weekly, with a narrow time slot but gets upset about other callers.

« Reply #9 on: 04 February, 2021, 08:27:49 am »
Other cat foods are available?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2021, 11:06:32 pm »
Felix seems edible, but is Nestlé, which I don't like

Others are more expensive and come in tiny packs, which would hardly touch Big Tom's voracious appetite.
Blackie eats less but still consumes a fair bit.

« Reply #11 on: 05 February, 2021, 02:24:25 pm »
We have had kitten food for the hedgehogs delivered from Pets at Home to avoid a 40 mile trip.
I don't think delivery charge was too high, and worth it for convenience.
Alternatively, do you have an independent local pet shop/farm supplies/grainstore that can deliver - we have had all sorts of stuff delivered by small local firms who need the business atm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 05 February, 2021, 08:43:50 pm »
One of my issues is that D DETESTS home deliveries, which makes me sound fussy!

Pets at home is about a mile away and they would deliver free above a minimum but D doesn't like having to open the front door.

Seems Sainsbury's have now listed Whiskas in 390g tins, which would generate no plastic waste.

I'll see if the cats eat this; they're fussy beasts!

ian

« Reply #13 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:46:50 pm »
Ours always used to eat exclusively eat Science Plan dry food (sounds good, I ate some once, really not so good if you're human-shaped). Then LMC had all her teeth removed and we weren't so sure she'd get adequately nourished with dry food alone (she's the teeniest cat, never really reach escape velocity from being a kitten) so give them a pouch of wet food once a day. Turned out that LMC will still happily chomp the dry stuff, but they're now both mad keen on the wet stuff. They mostly eat the Purina Gourmet (oh I know), though I say eat, they lick off all the gravy and mostly leave the rest. You can just get the gravy. You know what happens when they put that out. It's not a question if you have cats.

There are some Thrive (I think) 'real' chicken and fish in cans that they love like crack, but it costs more than fillet mignon. So I keep that back as a treat.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2021, 07:51:44 pm »
Sainsbury's sent out emails regretting lack of pouched cat food yesterday. It's been over 3 months...

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2021, 08:11:58 pm »
Went to Sainsbury's yesterday - cat food shelves were very bare. Grabbed the last packet of Sheba (unfortunately the variety with vegetables in, which are left) and a packet of Purina so he will at least survive.

I wouldn't expect to see Whiskas for a while.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 10 March, 2021, 06:56:36 am »
Mine will happily eat any meat.  You can buy supplemental taurine powder.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #18 on: 10 March, 2021, 07:58:40 am »
Mine will happily eat any meat.  You can buy supplemental taurine powder.

Or, if you are cheap, mix the cat food with Red Bull?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #19 on: 10 March, 2021, 10:29:42 pm »
Do you need to add taurine to beef?

We give our cats available beef, tuna and chicken scraps, as well as cat food.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 10 March, 2021, 11:56:38 pm »
Do you need to add taurine to beef?

Probably fine if it's straight off the cow.  AUIU the problem is anything that's been cooked or otherwise processed will have less taurine than a cat's natural carnivore diet.  Cat food has added taurine to compensate.