Author Topic: Cycling across the USA  (Read 4564 times)

Re: Cycling across the USA
« Reply #25 on: 16 November, 2021, 03:57:16 pm »
I’ve cycled the Lewis and Clark route from St Louis to Astoria with an organised group. Loved the baron bits in the middle, the one horse towns and the friendliness.

Two resources worth checking out for other people’s experiences are:
www.crazyguyonabike.com
www.cycleblaze.com

CGOAB has just introduced a supposedly friendly mobile version - I have yet to work out how to search for particular routes. It is easier on the pc.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #26 on: 16 November, 2021, 06:28:54 pm »
If I was thinking of a US cycling jaunt I'd probably do the Pacific Highway, north to south.

Don't do it in Fogust July or August. Having to ride in three layers, full fingered gloves with lights on when it's August and you're as far south as Greece becomes a bit annoying. Especially knowing it's 30°C a few miles inland. Oh but there are no roads inland. Redwoods, however, are f**king awesome.

Mmmm fog

@OD: Have you given thought to the weather? Going across some of the deserts in June could be, warm.

To also made something more confusing I always through if going across the USA I'd follow the Northern Tier route. Probably because I my childhood was spent upt' north.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27 on: 16 November, 2021, 07:08:07 pm »
Just an idle enquiry at the moment...

I'm thinking of riding across America, perhaps in 2023.  I fancy Route 66 from west to east then Adventure Cycling's Chicago to New York route .

The provisional, very loose plan is that I'd take 4 months starting in May and my wife would fly out a couple of times to meet me so in total I'd probably have 4 weeks off the bike during the 4 months.  As I said, the plan is very loose at the moment.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experience, ideas, suggestions?  Thanks in advance  :-*

I've done quite a bit of riding in the USA, most recently SF to LA via the mountain route (ie NOT US1!) almost exactly two years ago. Happy to share tales over a beer next time you're camping my way, mate!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #28 on: 19 November, 2021, 11:31:26 am »
Thanks for all the input folks and the suggestion of beer TimC  :thumbsup:

I've been getting some really good stuff from the lovely people over on ACA forum so feel free to have a peep if you're interested.

Please keep the thoughts, ideas and suggestions coming. 

« Reply #29 on: 19 November, 2021, 12:33:59 pm »
If I were to do it (and I want to some day!), it would have to be something like this.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #30 on: 19 November, 2021, 12:38:59 pm »
Amazing @Solocle!  Why does that particular route appeal?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #31 on: 19 November, 2021, 02:06:11 pm »
Get hold of the https://www.adventurecycling.org/ maps for your route planning. We used a few over there and they are the bees knees. Expensive yes, but the best for your cycling by a long mile. Got all the details you need - banks, food, shelter, beers, bears, hills, gravel, right, left, camping, motel etc etc.

And if you report your route on AC you will drown in places to stay and help. That's one thing the 'murikans do really well, go out of their way to help/feed/shelter you. And of-course don't forget https://www.warmshowers.org/
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Oscar's dad

« Reply #32 on: 19 November, 2021, 02:42:13 pm »
Get hold of the https://www.adventurecycling.org/ maps for your route planning. We used a few over there and they are the bees knees. Expensive yes, but the best for your cycling by a long mile. Got all the details you need - banks, food, shelter, beers, bears, hills, gravel, right, left, camping, motel etc etc.

And if you report your route on AC you will drown in places to stay and help. That's one thing the 'murikans do really well, go out of their way to help/feed/shelter you. And of-course don't forget https://www.warmshowers.org/

Top tips, thanks  :thumbsup:

As I'll likely be riding alone I'm definitely hoping to meet as many locals as I can.  This is an aspect which draws me to the US, its a real opportunity to get under the skin of a foreign country as we share a common language (kinda!)

« Reply #33 on: 19 November, 2021, 03:47:23 pm »

I've been getting some really good stuff from the lovely people over on ACA forum so feel free to have a peep if you're interested.

Looks like a helpful bunch of people. Just spent a few minutes lost in that forum. What an adventure you are planning 😁

Oscar's dad

« Reply #34 on: 19 November, 2021, 03:51:40 pm »

Looks like a helpful bunch of people. Just spent a few minutes lost in that forum. What an adventure you are planning 😁

Thanks Phil.  The adventure won't be for a while yet, I still have some money to earn, and I don't want to retire just yet so I am working on cunning schemes which will hopefully mean I can rejoin the rat race once the adventure is over.  But the planning and anticipation is great fun  :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 19 November, 2021, 05:57:18 pm »
We all need adventures to dream and plan for. Half the fun for me is the research and planning. Then the I can’t believe it happening when you get started with that first footstep or pedal stroke.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #36 on: 19 November, 2021, 06:15:39 pm »
We all need adventures to dream and plan for. Half the fun for me is the research and planning. Then the I can’t believe it happening when you get started with that first footstep or pedal stroke.

Exactly!

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #37 on: 19 November, 2021, 08:14:50 pm »
Thanks Jasmine  :thumbsup:

My new friends on the ACA forum are suggesting the TransAm route would be betterer than Route 66 so I'll look at that.  Also there's a chap who is planning a bespoke cross country route which he believes will take the best from a variety of routes and he's willing to share so that's another option to consider.

There are no decisions which need to be made for ages so weighing up all the options is going to be fun!

Hi I would highly recommend the Transam Route as a rough guide to doing a coast to coast. I did this as part of the race but met and chatted to many tourists on the route. It's a fantastic experience of the variance of the states and also the weather. You might get a flavour of it from my tales, or even just from the pictures. I'd certainly go back and do it as a touring ride. https://burlycross.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/transam-bike-race-2017-day-1-astoria-to-mckenzie-highway/

Oscar's dad

« Reply #38 on: 21 November, 2021, 06:50:13 am »
Thanks Jasmine  :thumbsup:

My new friends on the ACA forum are suggesting the TransAm route would be betterer than Route 66 so I'll look at that.  Also there's a chap who is planning a bespoke cross country route which he believes will take the best from a variety of routes and he's willing to share so that's another option to consider.

There are no decisions which need to be made for ages so weighing up all the options is going to be fun!

Hi I would highly recommend the Transam Route as a rough guide to doing a coast to coast. I did this as part of the race but met and chatted to many tourists on the route. It's a fantastic experience of the variance of the states and also the weather. You might get a flavour of it from my tales, or even just from the pictures. I'd certainly go back and do it as a touring ride. https://burlycross.wordpress.com/2017/11/04/transam-bike-race-2017-day-1-astoria-to-mckenzie-highway/

Thanks, I'll have a look.

« Reply #39 on: 21 November, 2021, 07:27:50 am »
Can't remember where I got this link from, but it lists all the state parks/campgrounds in California. There may be something similar for other states.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.386615,-120.3682855,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!6m1!1s1eV0kasT4vxtLZO486G7O469EoO4

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #40 on: 21 November, 2021, 02:11:16 pm »
Oh yes book a National Park membership. It will give you cheaper access to them and you can then use their campgrounds too. If you are visiting more than 3 National Park I think I remember it worth it. Same for State Parks, but they don't cross over to another state, so it depends on where you are planning to camp/ride in that state. Also remember they have these options in the park - hike and ride (I think I remember they are called) you get cheaper camping, often a little further away from the other campers and facilities, but you got access to it all.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #41 on: 21 November, 2021, 02:16:57 pm »
Hiker/ biker campsites, I think.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #42 on: 21 November, 2021, 02:17:45 pm »
Oh yes Hiker/Biker, thanks for kicking my grey cells into order :)