Author Topic: Back pain - recommended exercises?  (Read 1545 times)

Back pain - recommended exercises?
« on: 05 January, 2021, 10:44:38 am »
I am suffering from lower back pain. I am the first to admit this is caused by lying around on the sofa over the Christmas break.
I would be grateful for links to any back or core muscle strengthening exercises. I have resistance bands if that helps.

Re: Back pain - recommended exercises?
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:00:45 am »
At the start of lockdown we swapped from our pilates class to https://pilateslive.co.uk.  I would say that she is well trained, engaging and knows her stuff.  We are now back to attending her classes again.

« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2021, 11:13:19 am »
If you can find a copy ‘Lore of Running’ first edition has some useful exercises for lower back pain. You can do them with or without a low carb diet;)

If you can’t find a copy then send me a pm with your email address and I’ll see if I can help

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2021, 03:22:59 pm »
The book 'Treat Your Own Back' by Robin McKenzie is my go to bible. A Physio recommended it to me over 20 years ago and I find the exercises do work.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2021, 05:17:12 pm »
I've had lower back problems for some years, too much sculling with flexed lumbar spine (rather than hip hinge) and not enough stabilising exercises. I did lots of Pilates but with no improvement in spine stability and was still prone to sudden buckling (whilst standing on one leg in the shower to wash the other, or rowing in an eight) and another frustrating week or two off from life, then working back.

I think I was pointed from somewhere here to Stuart McGill, who advocates spine stability and shoulder / hip joint mobility (PhD in spinal research at a Canadian uni - he seems to have done much work with weightlifters). Search for his book 'Back Mechanic' - scanned pdf available online. His 'Big 3' exercises are making a huge difference to my back stability and confidence; 3 exercises to do daily with care and precision.

I also know I have weak glutes and so am working on those too (glute bridges, prone sole to ceiling raises, split squats, hip drops, side walking with ankles banded, arabesques, banded clams...).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:12:43 pm »
There's a wee video with some recommended stretches here too
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/back-pain/treatment/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:17:22 pm »
I am suffering from lower back pain. I am the first to admit this is caused by lying around on the sofa over the Christmas break.
I would be grateful for links to any back or core muscle strengthening exercises. I have resistance bands if that helps.

Pilates and/or yoga

I thoroughly recommend my instructor. Stu, pulse4life.

He has a youtube channel, or you can contact him and he will send you an invite to his zoom classes (good for a routine, and motivation)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2021, 10:28:21 pm »
At the start of lockdown we swapped from our pilates class to https://pilateslive.co.uk.  I would say that she is well trained, engaging and knows her stuff.  We are now back to attending her classes again.

These look good but there is too much choice...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:13:08 am »

Pilates and/or yoga

I thoroughly recommend my instructor. Stu, pulse4life.

He has a youtube channel, or you can contact him and he will send you an invite to his zoom classes (good for a routine, and motivation)

I would have said yoga as well, and I've been doing it for >10years, but oddly since my accident it seems to aggravate my lower back pain whereas previously it would relieve my general back/rear chain tightness.

I'm sure its still good for my core though.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:23:13 am »
I think, holistically, yoga is probably better because you get a bit of core strengthening, you use muscles that can be neglected, and you get a bagful of mobility.But pilates is better if you just want a strong core. Both have their place.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2021, 06:37:31 am »
Yes, yoga is definitely additive in that it actively engages parts that would otherwise be neglected by "normal sports". I was just surprised at the reaction of my lower back.

I'm still doing the yoga, and in addition I've been finding that targeted weights and using my indoor rower have been good as well. The indoor rower has been surprisingly good at working the hip flexors in a different way to cycling, but does tend to aggravate the lower back for a day or so.

Back to the question in hand, don't forget that a lot of back problems are not necessarily weak back muscles, but an imbalance between various muscle groups, so overworking one group to strengthen it may not improve the situation. I'm probably preaching to the choir here.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens