Author Topic: Tablet or cheap laptop recommendations  (Read 1363 times)

Tablet or cheap laptop recommendations
« on: 21 January, 2021, 03:50:38 pm »
Hey

To assist in our home school which being South East looks like is going to run to Easter at Leaster we need some more tech.

We currently have a main laptop and a tablet but the tablet doesn't run a lot of the school programs for. Some reason. It's a maybe 5 year old Samsung tablet running android.

We need another device as its making it awkward trying to juggle the school work for our two kids

It also could really do with coming from Amazon as we have another load of vouchers. When I search it seems to promote the amazon fire stuff but we generally don't use amazon and that appears to link you to amazon a lot. I think budget is to about £200 but as we probably need to get a printer at some point want to spend as little as possible. We don't game or stream really it's just for the school work

Thanks

Re: Tablet or cheap laptop recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2021, 03:54:31 pm »
I would go for a Chromebook. I have recently bought the third one for Mrs Scum
I believe a lot of schools are using a Google learning platform anyway, which is compatible of course with Chromebooks.
Chromebooks run Zoom perfectly well. Teams seems to be available too.

https://edu.google.com/intl/en_uk/why-google/k-12-solutions/

An alternate would be an RPi plus a monitor.

« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2021, 03:56:36 pm »
Watch the screen size on Chromebooks. I bought Mrs Scum a 15 inch Acer Chromebook. The screen size is perfect.

Another tip - it should have a USB-C power supply. Buy a USB-C extension cable which would allow roaming all over a childs bedroom.

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2021, 04:56:18 pm »
Google class room isn't the problem it's something called oaks academy which won't run.

I'm guessing chrome book is basically Google?

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2021, 08:21:46 am »
Chromebook is very nifty. You need a Google account to use it. Under the hood it runs ChromeOS (which is a variant of Linux but you dont see that)
You can also run Android Apps.

So you can use all sorts of cloudy services - Chrome web browser. Google Docs - which is word/spreadsheet etc.
Iam sure Microsoft 365 and Teams work on it too.
The big advantage is that it is secure and does not need any management - it just works.
Can you find  link to Oaks Academy software - it will be web based and a Chromebook will be fine.
But we should check the requirements

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2021, 10:25:56 am »
Chromebooks have issues with some of the software that some acedamies use for things like proving attendance (i think) maybe return work.

« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2021, 10:44:35 am »
https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/counting-sets-within-10-c4w30t

That's not one of the lessons specifically but the same website. I may try again on my tablet as I'm sure that wouldn't work in mobile yesterday and just did
Thanks all

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2021, 11:10:35 am »
Printer wise, we got a cheap £30 quid printer from HP and took out a cheap HP instant ink subscription. It works out very well if you are using an established syllabus, as you get a month of more or less unlimited printing at sign up, so print as much as you can at the start, and then drop down to the 2 quid a month subscription. (Or whatever you expect your print level to be) If you set up a chain with other parents, you can refer each other to get more months of high volume paid for printing.

It works very well if you need to print lots of full colour stuff. We've gone through 4 large volume colour ink cartridges and 1 black cartridge in a year for under the cost of 1 shop bought cartridge.

It's a Deskjet 3700 series, so it's all on WiFi so we can print from our phones etc, doesn't need to be plugged into a computer.

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2021, 11:31:58 am »
That site works fine on our Chromebook. I did the quiz on 'directed numbers' and in fact the result is stored as a Google form.
If you have a specific page you want me to work through let me know.

« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2021, 05:46:50 pm »
This is a link

https://classroom.thenational.academy/lessons/make-10-c4t6ar?activity=video&step=1

I think the issue having done some googling is the videos are through vimeo and I tried to down load this to see it would help and not compatible on my device

« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2021, 06:13:23 pm »
Chromebooks have issues with some of the software that some acedamies use for things like proving attendance (i think) maybe return work.

I don't think they are.  Googleclassroom works well (obvs) as does MS Teams. Schools aren't using 'software' per se. Its all web based.

« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2021, 06:20:58 pm »
I think basically it's my tablet. Its on old 4.4.4and doesn't appear to be updatable. Google class rooms works fine

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12 on: 22 January, 2021, 06:35:06 pm »

I don't think they are.  Googleclassroom works well (obvs) as does MS Teams. Schools aren't using 'software' per se. Its all web based.

Depends how poor the academy IT supplier is, in this case useless.  Could not even sort out a free microsoft office products.  A laptop needing tech support sat for 2 years, still there and the teacher has to use her own.  This is not a 'poor' area.  Some one is creaming off money, or incompetent.

« Reply #13 on: 22 January, 2021, 06:49:57 pm »
Ah the national academy is an online resource being used by my daughters school. They're not linked to it just using it. For the record their school is doing marvellous.