Author Topic: Inspirational bass players  (Read 4010 times)

Re: Inspirational bass players
« Reply #100 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:49:42 pm »
There's always somebody falls into the spinal trap.....

« Reply #101 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:50:31 pm »
He's very special, isn't he?  Have you any idea who's playing bass on this?  It's Aretha with "Don't Play that Song" but a much better version than the already good single.  It might be James Jamerson but it might also be some English session guy, like Herbie Flowers.  Whoever, they know what they're doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqsRKwwwtA

Sounds like a full on BBC light entertainment orchestra, full of unsung talents turning their hands to anything day in, day out for Musicians' Union standard rates.

Speaking of Musicians' Union, if the backing wasn't a tape, surely it's very unlikely that a BBC special from 1970 would be using foreign talent in the backing band?

Link here https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/8da3065b691e4cd6953c94a214c0eda6 suggests that in fact it might be "Norrie Paramor and his Orchestra". Norrie being something of a titan of easy listening, it would seem.

(Whoever it is, yes they're great)

Cliff, that was my original thought.  The live recording is (to my mind) much better all round than the released single.  And yes, Norrie Paramor was "Mr Music" on Television, when I were a lad!  Him and a bloke called John Barry - wonder what happened to him (!)

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #102 on: 19 March, 2021, 07:10:00 pm »
I'm not interested in those who's technical ability is not matched by musicality, only those who have made beautiful music on bass.

While my own preferences lie along the Chris Squire/Geddy Lee growling Rickenbacker kind of axis, I do also play fretless.  To that end, and thinking especially about the musicality, I will suggest:
  • Les Claypool – not necessarily beautiful music but whose output with Primus and beyond is technically and rhymically excellent, and IMO he's become more interesting in the last ten years or so, not least with Duo De Twang and The Claypool-Lennon Delirium.
  • Sean Malone – an occasional tendency to overplay, but has a knack for beautiful phrasing in amongst high energy warp speed stuff.  Cynic wasn't for everyone, but his work with Aghora is worth a look, with a lot of Eastern influenced grooves and beautiful vocals.
  • Gary Willis – for his astoundingly economical right-hand technique, and a way of playing that you hardly notice just how hard he's grooving.  Check out his work with Tribal Tech.
  • Steve Bailey – monster on six strings, loves to sprinkle artificial harmonics into things, and tends to overplay much less than Victor Wooten does.

A couple of less common nominations would include:
  • Dave Carpenter – who I always thought was the perfect foil to Allan Holdsworth.
  • Rob Martino – if you consider Chapman Stick alongside bass, then this is the guy to listen to.  Try The Third Enigma, for example, for some lovely melodies on top.
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #103 on: 22 March, 2021, 11:07:31 am »
Apologies to CarlF for mis-reading him as "Cliff"!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #104 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:26:26 pm »
Another left field genre, but the bass player on the first single i ever bought.  John "Segs" Jennings of The Ruts - powered both their punk and reggae music.  "It was Cold" and "Jah War" come to mind
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 175 (metric) 529 (furlongs)  112 (nautical miles)