Author Topic: Food that I'll have nothing to do with  (Read 16029 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Food that I'll have nothing to do with
« Reply #25 on: 30 January, 2021, 12:44:11 am »
Smoked eel.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #26 on: 30 January, 2021, 01:13:09 am »
Lamb. This maybe a cultural thing. The fat has a certain smell, there's a Cantonese have a word for it 臊/sou. It's a word that is only used to describe the horrible smell of lamb/mutton.

A friend from Shetland does not eat lamb for those sort of reasons.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27 on: 30 January, 2021, 06:30:22 am »
Smoked eel.

That's  on my doubleplusgood list, tried some in Holland once, loved it, the fishmonger on my farmers market sells it now and then 

Agree on cod though, give me a piece of haddock any day, or ling makes a very good Thai curry
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #28 on: 30 January, 2021, 06:32:16 am »
Rat's Toe Nails/ratatouille
Vegetarian Lasgne (which, in my experience is just the above with added pasta and white saucce)
Any slimy food, barring Okra, which I love!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #29 on: 30 January, 2021, 07:32:35 am »
Small shellfish as noted above but also including oysters (crab is OK).
Any form of cooked celery :celeriac - raw sticks of celery are good.
Pease pudding (the stench of cooking it reminds me of childhood Saturday afternoons) along with mushy peas.
Eels and other slimy things (real or imagined).
I'm not going near andoiillette (?sp) ever again, thank you.

Kimchi for the very specific reasons of having eaten it in South Korea and subsequently having smelled the repulsive after effects in the toilets of salubrious motorway service station toilets following native consumption.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #30 on: 30 January, 2021, 08:47:51 am »
Anything that includes chilli - wrecks my guts.
It sneaks into almost everything these days - what idiot decided that any meal that includes tomatoes must also have chilli?
Which is why we very rarely eat out or use convenience foods.
It also makes getting food "on the go" difficult, so I usually try to take my own.
Often makes me feel very anti-social :(

« Reply #31 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:13:15 am »
Oysters.

Ate one once in Rick Stein's restaurant and woke up in the night with chills and did a massive whitey on the carpet. Was ill for several days.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:46:01 am »
Oysters.

Because if I wanted to eat rhino snot I’d be happier chasing down a rhino and extracting it fresh.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #33 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:46:09 am »
Another vote to avoid small animals in shells.

And spaghetti - it is basically slimy, wiggly worms.

Raw tomatoes are the work of the devil, although acceptable if cooked in a stew / on a pizza.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #34 on: 30 January, 2021, 09:51:43 am »
Oysters, ditto.  Used to like them: once opened four dozen for an office do, ate about a dozen in the process and then my share of the ones on the table once we started drinking.  Then in Stuttgart I was stupid enough to eat a dozen at Nordsee and spent the night going whoop-de-doo in the cludge. Then a week later, saying "nah, that was a fluke", I went back to Nordsee and spent another night staring into the porcelain.  No never no more.

BTW, the oysters in Portugal were stupendous. Dunno what they're like these days, but when I was there in 1979 they were too big to swallow at one go, you had to bite them in half.

Quinoa. Boredom on a plate.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:00:01 am »
Most filter feeders are off my menu, whether fish, shellfish or whatever. Risk vs. reward tilts too far the wrong way most of the time.

Things with too many small bones. I am too lazy to be very successful at Russian Roulette.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:47:49 am »
If I might have another bite of the cherry? (Now there's a thing - why haven't we got stoneless cherries yet? Huh?)

Crocodile. I'm sure it could be cooked so as not to be like slimy chicken, and maybe Krispy croc nuggets might yet become a thing. Indeed, with the right preparation no one need know if they were made from crocs or Crocs.

I really really don't like the thought of Sushi, and have never been tempted to try it.

Meat with the blood running out of it. If we are going to eat the flesh of sentient beings then surely we need to disguise the fact by cooking it properly? (I suspect many years working in pathology may have a little to do with my distaste of putting uncooked blood in my mouth or on my naked hands)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #37 on: 30 January, 2021, 10:51:59 am »
I've only eaten crocodile once, and it was barbecued by some Australian soldiers at the Defence academy. It was really good. A bit like monkfish.

« Reply #38 on: 30 January, 2021, 11:43:57 am »
Andouilette
Desiccated coconut
Okra
The fat that curves lovingly round a pork chop (instant yak moment).

(My professional Yorkshireman of an uncle took me to Doncaster market one time and bought me a chicken's foot (no expense spared) and took great delight in showing me how to pull one of the tendons poking out of the top to get the talons to grip. I took it to school (in the Soft South) as part of an informal show-and-tell in the playground, much to the consternation of pretty much everyone, teachers included.)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #39 on: 30 January, 2021, 11:47:51 am »
Nobody has mentioned broccoli? Awful texture in the mouth.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 30 January, 2021, 12:02:15 pm »
Vegetarian Lasgne (which, in my experience is just the above with added pasta and white saucce)

What you need is mushroom lasagne, like wot I made last night :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Things I don't want to eat
« Reply #41 on: 30 January, 2021, 12:07:41 pm »
Baked beans, and anything that's been contaminated by it's juice.

I really don't want to be the cuck who has to clean up the bodily fluids of satan.

Seconded. A hang-over from school-made versions I was forced to eat at primary school. Tapioca and semolina pudding likewise.  Andouillette, too reminiscent of its previous contents. Butterbeans, again from schooldays probably, as I happily eat cannellini and kidney beans. Although the tough skin and gritty interior of butterbeans  I’ve experienced would still be off putting now. Whelks are too chewy, although the smaller French Bulot with a garlic sauce are lovely. Pollack, yuck (well, ok in a stew or with a strongly flavoured sauce).

Apart from andouillette it’s mostly texture that puts me off. With andouillette it’s texture and taste.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Chris N

« Reply #42 on: 30 January, 2021, 12:15:56 pm »
Cold fish
Anything served with its eyes still attached
Goat cheese
Duck or goose eggs

« Reply #43 on: 30 January, 2021, 12:23:12 pm »
Ham hough’s or any other meat with loads of fat, skin or hair attached. My old neighbour used to work in an abbatior and would bring home pack of offal with such delights as pigs trotters, ox tongue etc, he also ate raw Lorne sausage and most other meats raw too  :sick:
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #44 on: 30 January, 2021, 01:15:20 pm »
Ah yes, the deep fried chicken gizzards I had in Japan, a little too authentic. Not at all like the duck ones I’d had in France.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #45 on: 30 January, 2021, 02:36:10 pm »
Cold fish

Cold fried fish1 ± mayonnaise/tartare sauce is often A Thing in Kosher noontime social eating (out of Covid restrictions). I'm quite partial to leftover suppertime breaded plaice cold, for lunch the next day.

I quite like fish salad: boiled fish in seasoned mayo, with a few vegetables.

1) Seasoned Matzo Meal & egg coating, fried in oil.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 30 January, 2021, 02:41:38 pm »
Ah yes, the deep fried chicken gizzards I had in Japan, a little too authentic. Not at all like the duck ones I’d had in France.

Best bit of Jewish chicken soup1 is the stomach!
Neck's a bit bony but OK.

1) Water in which spent laying fowl is boiled, with salt, carrot & celery added.

« Reply #47 on: 30 January, 2021, 05:11:11 pm »
Marmite

Blue cheeses (actually most cheeses, I really only like it cooked or occasionally a cheese and pickle sandwich)

Seafood

Fennel/aniseed/liquorice.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #48 on: 30 January, 2021, 05:29:29 pm »
similarly to celery/celeriac,  I hate fennel, but like liquorice (especiallly the hard pellets of Italian stuff) and dry anis/pastis
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #49 on: 30 January, 2021, 06:25:34 pm »
Smoked eel.

That's  on my doubleplusgood list, tried some in Holland once, loved it, the fishmonger on my farmers market sells it now and then 

Agreed on all three counts, though this year's Xmas stock came by mail order and was frozen.