Author Topic: Non-folding handlepost / stem for Dahon/Tern type folder  (Read 3093 times)

Non-folding handlepost / stem for Dahon/Tern type folder
« on: 01 February, 2021, 09:42:30 am »
Does any one know of an off-the-shelf non-folding handlepost / stem for a 1 1/8" steerer, like the custom one in the pictures below?

Not sure exactly the height I need yet, but I don't think a steerer extender + high-rise stem would be enough.

I don't need the fast fold - loosening a couple of bolts and removing for transit would be fine - so I'm debating whether I can increase stiffness / remove some weight and complexity by ditching the folding handlepost.

Chris N

Re: Non-folding handlepost / stem for Dahon/Tern type folder
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:03:13 am »
You need a limp dick.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:12:53 am »
I have a stem riser from a cracked Airnimal Chameleon frame (to part out) that might give most of the rise you need. A steep Ahead stem might provide the rest of the altitude and the extension you would need. It has been trimmed a little but I will measure and photograph it this evening.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:53:28 am »
You need a limp dick.

Yes I do, but it looks as though Crust Bikes has gone under, and the Velo Orange one that I've found isn't that tall.

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2021, 11:26:21 am »
I have a stem riser from a cracked Airnimal Chamelion frame (to part out) that might give most of the rise you need. A steep Ahead stem might provide the rest of the altitude and the extension you would need. It has been trimmed a little but I will measure and photograph it this evening.

This looks just the job and I can use my extensive collection of stems to fine tune the reach. Very interested.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2021, 04:43:59 pm »
i'm interested how the headset bearings are adjusted/preloaded.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider

« Reply #7 on: 01 February, 2021, 06:27:57 pm »
You want something like the stem on my Lightning p38 but have it facing opposite way based on your pictures. YST do a thingy that sits below the stem for the headset pre load.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 01 February, 2021, 10:01:06 pm »
The riser is a hair under 16cm long, with about 11cm extension above the top of the steerer. No idea if that gets close enough for a high-rise stem to cover the rest.

https://flic.kr/p/2kxQLhS

An unmolested Airnimal riser is apparently 20cm long.
https://www.perennialcycle.com/steer-tube-extender-airnimal.html

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2021, 12:05:37 pm »
You need a limp dick.

Yes I do, but it looks as though Crust Bikes has gone under, and the Velo Orange one that I've found isn't that tall.

Crust might be sleeping, rather than died, but that doesn’t help you right now. Their stem probably isn’t tall enough anyway, being only 135mm high, about 45mm of which clamps the fork.

« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2021, 12:58:00 pm »
White's of Malmesbury used to carry a stock of Dahon parts including stem posts.
May be worth a call. I've found him very helpful.
Never knowingly under caffeinated