Author Topic: Nitto Noodle or Randonneur?  (Read 2705 times)

Nitto Noodle or Randonneur?
« on: 02 February, 2021, 01:05:46 pm »
What think peeps?  On my most used bike I have some Sakae SR Road Champion bars.  How would the Nittos (M177 or B136AA) compare?  Want to put them on a RaleighRS 501 frame.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Nitto Noodle or Randonneur?
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2021, 01:09:38 pm »
I prefer Nitto's Noodle as the tops of the Randonneur bars (near the stem) lean the wrong way for my wrists.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2021, 01:12:54 pm »
Ok, thanks - hadn't noticed.  Looking at photo the Randonneurs seem to 'sweep backwards' slightly.  Noodles seem straight.

dat

« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2021, 01:43:35 pm »
B132 are nice.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2021, 01:44:10 pm »
Not quite. Noodle top has a slight rearward sweep, Randonneur top angles up from middle to outside.

« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2021, 04:45:41 pm »
OK.  No idea whether whether I'd prefer upsweep or back sweep.  The Sakae bars have neither.  I'm not on the drops much.   Also not sure whether to try 42cm width rather than 40cm.   Edging towards the noodle.

« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2021, 05:53:26 pm »
I had Nitto bars for a few years. I needed to shim the stem... sometimes with worryingly comic effect.

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2021, 06:15:57 pm »
I like the Noodles, mainly for the longer and flatter ramps, though it depends what your preferences are and your reason for changing. If you do go for Noodles, you may need a shorter stem, those long ramps put the hoods a bit further forward.  I swapped from a compact bar and need a 20mm shorter stem, a more traditional road bar is probably somewhere between.  I haven't tried the Nitto Randonneur, but didn't get on with the similar VO ones, not sure why, just didn't get comfortable.
If you haven't already seen it - Planet X stock a good range of Nitto stuff, including two versions of Randonneur bars just to confuse.

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2021, 06:27:22 pm »
These are what I have on two bikes.  I shall probably be getting another couple for other bikes.  They suit me.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebars/modolo-gran-fondo-ergonomic-drop-handlebars-260mm-clamp-black-430mm/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2021, 06:34:00 pm »
I think those Modolo bars feature in those nightmares where I am running and screaming...

« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2021, 07:05:17 pm »
As long as I'm not attached to them in the dreams.   ;D

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2021, 07:22:32 pm »
Have tried both, prefer randos.  Also my randos have classic mtb clamp size and the noodles have classic road.

If you are near brum I could lend you a pair of each.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2021, 08:20:08 am »
I've got a Noodle handlebar you can have for the price of postage (I did have it for sale on here a while ago but it didn't go), it's a 26mm clamp size and 42cm centre to centre (got a feeling Nitto measure to the outside edges and it might be classed as a 44cm). It's got some scrape marks on the curve toward the bottom of the drop on one side but otherwise tidy.
I'd post a picture but Flickr seems to be down at the moment.
Just drop me a PM if you'd like it.

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2021, 09:59:40 am »
I find the Noodles incredibly comfortable and I find very useable.

I actually have a pair of B135 but I've never fitted them. They were brought for a beater Orbit I have up at my parents, but for various reasons are yet to be tested. There's also the B136 variant and the B132 touring that look interesting?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 04 February, 2021, 07:50:32 pm »
Randonneur bars are weird.  I quite like them (I have them on two bikes) The hoods are close together and the bends touch your wrists when you're on the drops.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15 on: 04 February, 2021, 11:12:15 pm »
Thanks all.

JonB YHPM.   :)

« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2021, 04:38:39 pm »
Some things I like about the Noodle bars:

"square" shape, somewhat similar to Cinelli 66,

no grooves,

not oversize,

"classic" appearance.

I don't like the backwards bend on the tops, which go against the natural position of your hands and wrists. I'm not sure what's their purpose.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2021, 05:07:30 pm »
The Noodle are a 'long' bar,  and as such getting the right stem length I find to be awkward, as either the tops are too close, or the hoods too far away. 

« Reply #18 on: 20 February, 2021, 12:34:32 pm »
Hi. I have a pair of Noodles on two of my  bikes, fixed and Audax geared bike. Been riding on them for 12 years. Love them. Elegant, comfortable, robust, etc. 2 x PBP, SR series, etc