Author Topic: Microsoft Teams - is it ****?  (Read 8316 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Microsoft Teams - is it ****?
« Reply #50 on: 13 February, 2021, 12:35:55 pm »
Jitsi seems excellent within its limited functionality.  It's what Signal's video calling ought to be [The right aspect ratio - Ed], and works admirably well for one-to-one calls.  Zoom seems to have the edge when you've got lots of people and need to worry about keeping the interpreter on screen, or screen share or whatever.  The lack of a proper desktop app is irksome.

ETA: Jitsi appears to have developed a screen sharing feature since I last looked.  Will have to investigate that...

It has?

I use it on a dedicated android device. So never had need for that.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:36:45 pm »
@barakta, you can pop out the chat from the main interface
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #52 on: 13 February, 2021, 02:58:05 pm »

Indeed. Our work implementation did that automagically.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #53 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:24:23 pm »
In a chat the other day one of the medics replied to a message with a quote.

The resulted in a number of messages from the IT side asking "how'd you do that"

Turns out it's only in the Android client at present and is backlogged for the windows one.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #54 on: 13 February, 2021, 04:59:04 pm »

You can but it doesn't behave well as a popped out window either and is annoying like the whole teams interfacey thing which has loads of barely used crap wasting screen space while hiding useful stuff. Possibly cos I have the text too zoomed cos I have no choice of fonts or colours (which i'd like in Zoom too tbh). 

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #55 on: 14 February, 2021, 08:10:59 pm »
I've yet to experience the people being cropped in meetings thing. Something to look forward to.

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #56 on: 06 March, 2021, 04:52:36 pm »
Gynarrrrgggh.

I just want to search meeting chat logs to see if students have participated in the session.

Guess which software doesn't let you search chats or copy and paste complete chats.

barakta

« Reply #57 on: 06 March, 2021, 05:22:01 pm »
You can search but you have to type into the top search bar and yes extracting whole chats is a complete fucking pain.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #58 on: 06 March, 2021, 05:49:54 pm »
Yes.

A lot of my work involves presenting software which I do by sharing my screen or the application. However teams goes out of its way to make this a less than pleasurable experience for teh viewer taking up at least a third of the screen with empty (or wasted) space

« Reply #59 on: 06 March, 2021, 07:21:44 pm »
You can search but you have to type into the top search bar

Ah, thanks. The trick seems to be to not click on the profile it offers up (takes you to a new chat window just for that person), but to leave it as a plain text search. That's saved me some wailing and gnashing of teeth (but I'm still cussing Teams).

barakta

« Reply #60 on: 06 March, 2021, 07:40:51 pm »
You can search but you have to type into the top search bar

Ah, thanks. The trick seems to be to not click on the profile it offers up (takes you to a new chat window just for that person), but to leave it as a plain text search. That's saved me some wailing and gnashing of teeth (but I'm still cussing Teams).

Oh, indeed. I hate hate hate it. Wastes a lot of space as mentioned above and is not very flexible in terms of UI. In fact the UI is downright infurating.

I have Schrodingers headphones settings; sometimes it picks up my hearing aid gadget automatically, other times it sets it to speakers and I have to manually go in and click around to set it to headphones (Zoom just behaves and sticks to last setting used)... Fortunately people are moderately tolerant of "hi, I can't hear you yet, just poking the settings" but it's just rude.

Oh and having 2 teams accounts is fucking maddening too. I'm added to an accessibility "community" and despite repeatedly turning of ALL its notifications it still notifies and spams me with emails that I DO NOT WANT. I am "-" from asking to be removed from the community cos it's too disruptive and distracting.

ian

« Reply #61 on: 25 March, 2021, 05:57:56 pm »
It's annoying me today. I want to download the chat from a meeting. It shouldn't be hard. It really shouldn't. I don't feel it's the essence of an 'edge case.' The option to do so is nigh. OK, I'll copy and paste the bloody thing. Right. RIGHT MICROSOFT? Seriously, you cannot simply select all and copy the chat. You can do this one message at a time. Hmm, that's a 1-hour meeting with 100+ people all nattering.

OK, I'll share the video. Super. It'll be easy to download a copy in a conventional format, right, because the streaming version can't be viewed externally? I mean, that use case can't have failed to cross someone's mind.

Sigh. I finally found that download option several screens in.

And Microsoft, just put all the settings and options in one fucking place, like in a menu bar, rather than sludging them around the entire UX.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #62 on: 25 March, 2021, 06:01:23 pm »
Tsk!  It wouldn’t be Microsith if options and settings weren’t strewn around the wossname like grass seed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #63 on: 25 March, 2021, 06:08:02 pm »
Cba to read it all, but from experience at a couple of places, Teams is good if you only have to work with windows.

If you have to add Macs then it all goes wrong.

Everyone I know that uses a Mac and O365 also have Zoom.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

barakta

« Reply #64 on: 25 March, 2021, 07:23:44 pm »
Today's "Why I fucking hate Teams".

1) It doesn't understand MUTE on a channel I mostly don't want notifications for, so puts alerts and sends me fucking emails for things and it claims to be "muted".  I gave up and left the channel.

2) I have two university accounts. When I am logged into a meeting on the 2nd, it shows me as active/present on the 1st. So colleagues at job 1 keep thinking I'm at work when I'm a meeting at Job 2. I have logged it out and hope that works or I'll uninstall the rotten thing off my Windows (better webcam than Work 2's laptop) and try reinstalling from scratch.

3) It is possible but very difficult to turn off the flash-up notifications for a meeting WHERE THE CHAT WINDOW IS ALREADY OPEN! I hate that settings are in 12255792346 different places and I am sure some contradict one another.

4) I told Work 1 Team ALWAYS connect to headphones, so why the fucking fuck does it keep setting it back to speakers about 60% of the time! I have enough trouble with the fucking hearing aid, streamer gizmo (difficult to get both into the matching programme) without Teams adding to it. Makes me look like a techno numpty and I have to keep going in and manually resetting it. IF I SET A DEFAULT - USE IT OR FUCK OFF.

5) Screensharing shows the WHOLE SHARE and tiny faces. As a lipreader I want Zoom's option of half and half! I hate that this is not an option.

6) Today's screenshare had a random blank rectangle about 3x4 cm over the slide so I couldn't see various bits - stupid Teams glitch.

7) In the teams IM chat it doesn't have a way of keeping the different groups/people small down one side and then convs, it is either BIG WIDE NAMES taking up half the space OR NAMES HIDDEN so you're fucking around with clicking and mousing over voodoo.

8) STOP TELLING ME X AND Y ARE OUT OF OFFICE ON CHATS THEY'RE IN. WE KNOW! WHEN I CLICK CLOSE ON X AND Y ARE OUT OF OFFICE, PLEASE STAY FUCKED OFF. STOP WASTING SCREEN SPACE WITH THAT ANNOYING BLACK BAR.

9) So much wasted white space, which to get the fonts big enough for me to read right now is making my screen management a complete nightmare.

10) When I click join a Teams meeting. I DO NOT NEED you to open a fucking web browser tab OR bring the teams IM thinger to front. I REALLY FUCKING DON'T. Just makes me have to do more mousing to reminimise those things so I can focus on the screen that I NEED to see.

Today's meetings x2 both had people effing off at how shit Teams is.

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #65 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:48:50 pm »
It never ceases to amaze me how a company which sells an operating system named Windows has so little idea of how to design a GUI.  This morning I wanted to arrange a Teams meeting with a colleague.  I couldn't find what I wanted on Teams desktop version's various panels and menus, so a quick WWW search revealed https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/schedule-a-meeting-in-teams-943507a9-8583-4c58-b5d2-8ec8265e04e5 .  Oh thank you, I'd forgottten. I was expected to discover the "Schedule a meeting" function by hovering over all the icons to reveal the tool tips.  GUI my arse; more like a game of tooltip battleships.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

ian

« Reply #66 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:47:42 pm »
Yes, the Microsoft UX spread – across windows, menus, ribbons, mixed up with weird context (if you've not selected x then y doesn't appear), and default window sizes that don't display all the options but also don't make it clear there are more options. There's zero consistency. There's a fucking menu and, on a Mac, it's bloody empty other than the application defaults.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #67 on: 21 April, 2021, 02:10:31 pm »
I love the two menus in Mac Office. Rubbish...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #68 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:30:26 pm »
I don't think MS should ever have moved away from the CUA model. The ribbon bar still confuses me with its lack of logic and structure. I use add-ins to put the menus back. What's more, menus involve less mouse movement which, as a trackball user, I find much easier.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #69 on: 22 April, 2021, 01:03:37 am »
I get a nice big button in outlook for scheduling meetings in teams.

The only issue I have with settings unsetting is due to endpoint being forced to force windows default browser to ie11 due to 3rd party legacy shit and sloth.

(I've set it to ring on the laptop speakers then use my headset for the meeting because the laptops mic can pick up the sound of a pin drop 60 miles away and make it sound like someone's smashed their car into the building )

Today's fight was with docker, so I've now got an unscheduled trip to the office to get the whole bloody thing reimaged.
Which will hopefully sort the networking issue I've had ever since I tried to set up a hyperV vm to do Windows XP legacy shit.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #70 on: 22 April, 2021, 09:28:25 am »
In two weeks' time I get to pull the plug on IE11 support in our products. There are still users, so I'll get fan mail.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #71 on: 23 April, 2021, 02:28:39 pm »
In two weeks' time I get to pull the plug on IE11 support in our products. There are still users, so I'll get fan mail.
You lucky luxly lucky lucky... You get the point... Ba*d

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #72 on: 23 April, 2021, 02:42:31 pm »
It's still 2.2% of our users (in the last 30 days – I'm surprised it's so high), but increasingly, stuff just doesn't work in IE11 and even MS is deprecating it in favour of Edge (11.3%) so I'm calling it a day. I will get grinked, I'm sure.

« Reply #73 on: 23 April, 2021, 06:02:05 pm »
We're struggling with our new Web site build. We couldn't really justify the substantial additional cost of building it to cope with IE11. But we are concerned about some third-party organisations that still have IE11 as their preferred browser because of internal systems, and hence don't get the best view of our site.

ian

« Reply #74 on: 23 April, 2021, 07:59:03 pm »
It'll still work except for the bits that don't work. That'll learn them.