Author Topic: Six Nations 2021  (Read 13311 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Six Nations 2021
« Reply #25 on: 13 February, 2021, 11:06:14 pm »
Lewis Rees-Zammit seems to be something rather special.

Indeed.

He'll be a target now, though.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 14 February, 2021, 12:19:00 am »
At least Plucky Little Italy managed a couple of tries this time :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 14 February, 2021, 02:54:52 pm »
Despite the big win over Italy I thought England, whilst better than last week, were still rather lacklustre. The tries were fun though and you can see hints of improvement from Italy.

Scotland should've easily beaten Wales but their discipline let them down and Wales are known for grinding out close wins. The bit after 80 minutes was nerve wracking, 2 wins would've been an amazing start for Scotland.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 14 February, 2021, 03:29:49 pm »

That's a cracking photo! (From the Graun)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #29 on: 14 February, 2021, 03:50:25 pm »
Ireland - France.
I've just heard the (English) referee shout, "Alors. Use it".
 ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #30 on: 27 February, 2021, 06:17:29 pm »
When you run at Wales, their weaknesses are exposed.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #31 on: 27 February, 2021, 06:37:58 pm »
As an Englishman I can only say that I’m ashamed. The England pack are the stronger team on the field, why then are they not in a commanding lead? Poor disciple. They play a stunning series of phases and then someone does something totally stupid and right under the referees nose to boot. Idiots.

There’s no point talking about ‘those’ two tries as their total lack of discipline makes that issue moot.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #32 on: 27 February, 2021, 06:41:31 pm »
It’s actually quite funny.

I’m glad I'm on my third beer.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #33 on: 27 February, 2021, 06:46:49 pm »
I hope for the Referees sake that the bonus point doesn’t affect the tournament outcome, but I think it’s unlikely.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #34 on: 27 February, 2021, 07:33:47 pm »
Well,I really missed the atmosphere of the pub.  Old men with veins standing out on their foreheads as they bellow out Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.  Groups of young women up on the tables,  older ladies group hugging. Free sausage and chips at half-time.   Just magic.
This year I watched it on my own in my study   :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #35 on: 27 February, 2021, 08:00:59 pm »
I'm waiting for the highlights. I was totally unaware that it was on.

Wales have never scored 40 points against England before.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #36 on: 27 February, 2021, 09:25:17 pm »
I am watching the whole match  now.

As for first try.  Farrell asks the referee for time to tell is team they have given away too many penalties.  Every other captain in world rugby runs to the left runs to right, "Lads stop giving away penalties, the ref has noticed."  Farrell instead calls a group hug. The ref did not agree to that. Blows his whistle to tell Biggar to continue and a controversial try is well executed.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #37 on: 27 February, 2021, 09:36:37 pm »
That makes sense - but wasn't it Farrell who gave away the penalty in question?

I'm trying to make sense of the second try. The ball went from Rees-Zammit's right hand, to left hand, to thigh, to heel, and then went backwards, despite his first touch knocking it forward.

Law 12 DEFINITION: KNOCK-ON

A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

https://rugby365.com/laws-referees/law-discussions/law-discussion-knock-on/

From that, I can't help but think that the referee was wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #38 on: 27 February, 2021, 09:52:15 pm »
It could be argued that those first two tries knock England off their game and thus upset the outcome of the game, but England have never been the most disciplined team, and at the moment in my opinion they’re particularly bad so it’s debatable whether or not the game outcome was affected.

I think the bigger issue is if Wales win the tournament by one point or on goal difference, though whether anyone will actually care other than the second team and the England supporters.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #39 on: 27 February, 2021, 10:01:43 pm »
many time a player has mishandled and turned it into a drop kick.  I am not certain every referee has allowed or penalised it. Fundamentally rhys-zammit fumble was a drop kick.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #40 on: 27 February, 2021, 10:44:33 pm »
Kudos to Farrell for declining to rise to the bait and slag off the ref.  Shame he forgot to instruct his Gentleman to lay out his kicking trousers this morning.

« Reply #41 on: 27 February, 2021, 11:41:43 pm »
Freude can apparently be enhanced by shadenfreude; who knew?
The first controversy was rude, but the second is laws as written.  It does make me  ;D to hear all the ENGLISH pundits going on about these controversies, whereas, had they won in these circumstances, they would be singing a very different tune about the laws as written and how you can't argue with the ref, play the game in front of you, etc. Martin Johnson, especially, should know better.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #42 on: 28 February, 2021, 10:26:40 am »
As for first try.  Farrell asks the referee for time to tell is team they have given away too many penalties.  Every other captain in world rugby runs to the left runs to right, "Lads stop giving away penalties, the ref has noticed."  Farrell instead calls a group hug. The ref did not agree to that. Blows his whistle to tell Biggar to continue and a controversial try is well executed.

Spot on.  The ref's comment wasn't intended as a time out for England to have a breather and regroup.  I thought the ref had a good game, calling out England's cynical fouling all over the park.

Mind you I'm Scottish  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #43 on: 28 February, 2021, 01:43:24 pm »
It seems that the BBC reporter who interviewed Farrell after the match has come in for some appalling online abuse - just for doing her job.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/27/bbcs-sonja-mclaughlan-reveals-online-abuse-over-owen-farrell-interview

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #44 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:53:55 pm »
The general consensus from the pundits I’ve read seems to be the ref was a bit shit and has form of similar, but there’s no point going on about it as the England pack got the result they played for in any event.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #45 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:24:37 pm »
She was clearly trying to get Farrell to criticise the ref even when he'd already made it plain he wasn’t going to.  Which in no way excuses the actions of the Neanderthals.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #46 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:52:02 am »
Six Nations: CVC deal will bring in 'new era' for rugby, says tournament boss Ben Morel.

Why, yes, Ben!  Yes, it will!

[…] moving the Championship off free-to-air TV in order to maximise revenue is not a foregone conclusion.

These are not sports people, Benny, these are money people.  The only thing they’re interested in is the bottom line.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #47 on: 12 March, 2021, 11:00:58 pm »
The decision by NatWest to withdraw sponsorship from the six nations was fuelled by a desire to avoid at all costs being the sponsor holding the ball at the point that the coverage moved from from free-to-air. 

It was all dressed up in corpororate bollocks speak in 2017 but the six nations in a free-to-air format was an utter steal for even at the £10m - £15m pa that NatWest was paying towards the end. 

No doubt some fuckers like Red Bull will be waiting in the wings to “partner” with CVC and Sky or whoever

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #48 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:37:58 pm »
Well that was an exciting match.

Never in doubt, of course.  :o

« Reply #49 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:57:57 pm »
Yes, it's all quite nicely poised - England still in with a chance of finishing 5th!

(I suspect we won't see much movement on the suggestion that Italy are removed from the competition because they protect the others from falling into what used to be Scotland's fiefdom.)