Author Topic: Six Nations 2021  (Read 13396 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Six Nations 2021
« Reply #50 on: 13 March, 2021, 07:57:17 pm »
i wonder when the last time a hooker, or any other front row forward, scored 2 tries in an international?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #51 on: 13 March, 2021, 08:09:29 pm »
Don't know, but Jamie George did it 4 months ago before he ruined it and scored a 3rd. (v Georgia)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #52 on: 13 March, 2021, 11:13:11 pm »
Yes, it's all quite nicely poised - England still in with a chance of finishing 5th!

(I suspect we won't see much movement on the suggestion that Italy are removed from the competition because they protect the others from falling into what used to be Scotland's fiefdom.)

Back at the start of the current campaign one of the colemantators noted that even were Plucky Little Italy to be removed, they’d likely be replaced by AN Other team – most probably Georgia – who would be even worse.  On the other hand Argentina made representations to join in with Europe rather than the rest of the Southern Hemisphere because nearly all their top players plied their trade exclusively in Europe.  Natch they were roundly rebuffed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 13 March, 2021, 11:38:56 pm »
Really dubious winning try, almost as bad as that time wilkinson stood fully on the line v Scotland and the try was still given. 

Onfield ref had a decent view and didnt give it.

Still, that was Englands cup final today so they probably thought they had earned the sympathy vote.

It was definitely a try.

The second angle showed it, ball definitely grounded as he slid forward.

I couldn't understand why it took so long to award it.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #54 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:00:31 am »
Eh merde.

As to replacing Italy, cobblers!  What they need to do is ignore Mr L and expand to 7 nations with the Argentines playing out of Barcelona (or some-such).  Or they could go back to four nations, refuse to play France on the grounds that they are from EUROPE and then the Southern Hemisphere could try and stifle the growth of the PIs and we could have a WC of England, France, 3-Nations where England and France could take turns coming last.

(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #55 on: 14 March, 2021, 08:42:23 am »
They could limit the number of kicks allowed up the field in open play.

« Reply #56 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:24:43 pm »
And how long Farrell is allowed for a kick at goal.  Actually, just limit Farrell, full stop!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #57 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:27:08 pm »
Can't understand why he is Captain.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #58 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:40:18 pm »
This is YACF, so of course it's de rigeur to ply the hate on anything English!

That was a very entertaining match between two teams who weren't playing at their best. The winning try was not 'dubious', but it warranted being checked. The right decision was reached.

« Reply #59 on: 14 March, 2021, 12:44:49 pm »
I don't hate anybody but I do like open rugby.  Actually, that's not quite true: shall we say I strongly dislike England's lilywhite strip.  Italy has the best strip.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #60 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:05:45 pm »
And how long Farrell is allowed for a kick at goal.  Actually, just limit Farrell, full stop!

Sixty seconds of playing time for a penalty once the team has indicated they’re going to kick for goal; ninety seconds for a conversion once the try has been scored.  Farrell is probably one of the game’s most notable procrastinators but at least he had his kicking trousers on yesterday, unlike in the Wales game.

PS: It wasn’t my suggestion to remove Plucky Little Italy, merely something that $COLEMANTATOR mentioned during their opening game.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #61 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:10:00 pm »
Didn't watch or listen, just heard the score and said [rude word].
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #62 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:33:05 pm »
I shall just sit and smile at the memory of Rees-Zammit running the length of the pitch, and the wonderful Big George looking a little more like his wonderful unstoppable self.

Also smiling at how really cosmopolitan the Welsh squad is nowadays, even when disregarding South Seas imports. Malta and Iran are not countries usually associated with the Great Game. Well, not this Great Game, that is.

Re the comment about getting rid of flankers, line-outs, etc: if I wanted to watch 26 people, all the same size and shape, doing the same thing over and over again, I would follow League. I will stick with the game that allows pretty little boys with perms, like de Klerk, to play alongside the Kens and Maros of this world, and win.

While typing that, I remember one particularly small boy called Jones being picked on by a much bigger boy, Farr-jones. The thought of telling Robert Jones that he is a pretty boy is not tempting. Hint, Nick: Robert's nose should have given you a warning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Z2m6DgwQ4&t=1s
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #63 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:35:53 pm »

Sixty seconds of playing time for a penalty once the team has indicated they’re going to kick for goal; ninety seconds for a conversion once the try has been scored.  Farrell is probably one of the game’s most notable procrastinators but at least he had his kicking trousers on yesterday, unlike in the Wales game.

PS: It wasn’t my suggestion to remove Plucky Little Italy, merely something that $COLEMANTATOR mentioned during their opening game.

Yes, I think it was Sam Warburton, ex-Wales captain, who made the suggestion.  Or maybe he was endorsing a commentator, I'm not quite sure.

Didn't know about the allowable time - they need to get that shifted!  I think what makes it worse in Farrell's case is the number of rituals he goes through, possibly advised by highly-paid sports psychologist, who no doubt turns up to work in a tracksuit. 

Steph

« Reply #64 on: 14 March, 2021, 01:43:28 pm »
Warbs is an eminently fair and honourable player, and talks a lot of sense. a lot of kickballers could take lessons.

I was reminded of him by one of the Italians yellow-carded yesterday, who fully accepted his penalty and made a point of apologising to the Welsh player involved.

« Reply #65 on: 14 March, 2021, 02:09:00 pm »
Definitely agree.  Still think he said the Italy thing, though.

A propos Robert Jones, Steph, you might like this, then follow the link to David Bishop, whom one should always treat with respect, too!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/robert-jones-wales-rugby-scrum-18147737

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #66 on: 14 March, 2021, 03:28:47 pm »
Missing Richie Gray in the lineout.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #67 on: 14 March, 2021, 03:37:46 pm »
Going back to the kicking thing.  Finn Russell has just converted Scotland's first try.  Fifteen seconds from placing the ball to running back to the re-start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #68 on: 14 March, 2021, 04:10:51 pm »
Plenty of thud and blunder in the current came...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Steph

« Reply #69 on: 14 March, 2021, 05:08:20 pm »
A wild game, and further proof that Scottish sports teams are always handicapped by being made up entirely of Scots.
Serious point on this: the Scots sports teams are always handicapped by their obsession with beating one team, that being England.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #70 on: 14 March, 2021, 05:11:29 pm »
A wild game, and further proof that Scottish sports teams are always handicapped by being made up entirely of Scots.

You mean like Duhan van der Merwe  ;D

Steph

« Reply #71 on: 14 March, 2021, 05:11:53 pm »
Definitely agree.  Still think he said the Italy thing, though.

A propos Robert Jones, Steph, you might like this, then follow the link to David Bishop, whom one should always treat with respect, too!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/robert-jones-wales-rugby-scrum-18147737

I read that article while looking for the video. Dai Bish was a great player, but he was also a twat, and a nasty one, in my memory. Welsh rugby always had a parallel handicap to the old English one. In Wales, it was the East-West regional divide; in England, it was the "right sort of chap" divide, as in public school/southern England focus.

« Reply #72 on: 14 March, 2021, 05:38:43 pm »
Dai Bish was a great player, but he was also a twat, and a nasty one, in my memory.

As was Rob Jones' elder brother Anthony (twat, that is, not great player), also mentioned in that article. I hadn't realised that he'd died.  I was at university with him. He, and most of the rugger lot, were best avoided (though, from memory, Paul Thorburn seemed OK).

I marvel every time I cycle through it, that the tiny village of Trebanos produced England bowler Greg Thomas, Rob Jones and Bleddyn Bowen within 2 or three years, then a litle gap before Arwel Thomas, and another one before Justin Tipuric. 

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #73 on: 14 March, 2021, 06:12:52 pm »

You mean like Duhan van der Merwe  ;D
very much  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #74 on: 14 March, 2021, 09:58:45 pm »
Didn't know about the allowable time - they need to get that shifted!  I think what makes it worse in Farrell's case is the number of rituals he goes through, possibly advised by highly-paid sports psychologist, who no doubt turns up to work in a tracksuit.

I've only just finished watching the Scotland-Ireland game.  Sexton seems to take almost as long as Farrell.

The match as a whole reminded mr of Dr Hutch's comment when a guest in V2's broom cupboard during the TdF a few years ago: “What we like to see is bike racing done badly!”