Author Topic: Six Nations 2021  (Read 13388 times)

Re: Six Nations 2021
« Reply #125 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:43:35 am »
France forfeited the game by not taking the ball to touch at 82 minutes.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and it was barely mentioned (if at all) in the live TV commentary.  I had to wait and listen to the post-match analysis to get confirmation of what had actually happened.
France have a track record of is sort of thing, and respec due.  IIRC in the last WC they needed 3 points to win against Tonga and had a penalty under the sticks.  They chose to run the ball.
If you look at it from a game theory POV they did the right thing.  If they win the match by 3 or lose by 4 they finish second.  The game plan was always “score at least 4 trys” so they stuck to it.  They will have learnt more and become a better team pushing on at 82 mins than just stopping for the win.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #126 on: 27 March, 2021, 11:47:36 am »
Yes, but they needed two tries and 21 points clear of Scotland to win the championship. Neither was possible at that point, so the only thing left was to win the game. They chose not to. WTF???

ETA: I bet a good few of the players who lost out on the win bonus will have had words last night!

« Reply #127 on: 27 March, 2021, 12:09:43 pm »
That's what I thought - another try was irrelevant at that point, and a long shot.  France seemed to just toss the game away, instead of booting it out.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #128 on: 27 March, 2021, 01:02:36 pm »
I watched the entire game this morning. 

Summing it up as “France threw it away” (which of course they did, or didn't in the 82nd min) detracts from a magnificent Scotland performance.   

Scotlands team talk wrote itself via the “we’ve got a title to win” talk by some French players beforehand. 

Best Six Nations in a long time and amazing to have six games where the margin of victory was 5 or fewer. 

If its the swan song for the competitions terrestrial coverage, its a fitting finale. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #129 on: 27 March, 2021, 01:09:37 pm »
Bugger.

What did Wales do that so displeased M. Larrington?

Have Professor Larrington as a supporter*, mostly.  Opportunities for sibling oneupmanship must be pursued wherever possible.

* our late mother spent her early childhood in Stradey Park Avenue, Llanelli

It's an interesting phenomenon.

I had a long natter to my older daughter yesterday who opted to describe herself as "English" in the recent census. She loves the Englishness of stuff: warm beer, Kentish countryside, English seasons, folk music, that sort of thing, and all very admirable. Doesn't care too much about sport, but generally prefers Wales to win when it comes to rugby.

Her younger sister is a different kettle of offal: she now lives in Melbourne and last weekend got out of bed at audax o'clock in order to watch the rugby with her Kiwi boyfriend. She did something similar yesterday, despite having buggered off into the outback for the weekend. Yesterday, just after the match finished, she sent me a photo of herself wearing her Welsh rugby top. (Curiously, in her youth she represented England at chess a few times and was, I think, the youngest player ever to do so on her first outing). I've always been an enthusiastic Wales supporter, but I've never gone so far as to obtain a Welsh rugby top. One of my treasured possessions, though, is a red-and-white scarf in 15 segments that was knitted for me by a very dear college friend who died tragically young.

Of those who care, my siblings support Wales - indeed, one of my sisters has a very Welsh partner who is much more enthusiastic about rugby than I am.

As a family, our Welsh tendencies come from my father, who was a Rhymney Valley man. I grew up watching rugby with him, and of course I always supported Wales. It was very easy to prefer Wales to England from the mid 1960s onwards. I think the first time I ever saw England win that fixture was in 1974, and that was down to a poor refereeing decision. I think I was in my mid-to-late-30s before I saw England win in Cardiff.

Conversely, I have never witnessed Wales beat the All Blacks. I was born one year too late for the last occasion that happened (1953). England have beaten them a number of times though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #130 on: 27 March, 2021, 01:20:11 pm »
I’ve seen England beat the All Blacks, live.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #131 on: 27 March, 2021, 02:56:56 pm »
They are much harder to beat live.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #132 on: 27 March, 2021, 03:11:18 pm »
Seeing things on telly isn’t true.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #133 on: 27 March, 2021, 03:43:40 pm »
Alas, twitter is the new home of all truth!

« Reply #134 on: 27 March, 2021, 06:47:16 pm »
In the 6 nations I support wales, on account of supporting France in the other code.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #135 on: 27 March, 2021, 06:56:44 pm »
Might have gone better for France had it not taken them about half an hour to work out that Scotland had actually turned up with the intention of playing rugby rather than just rolling over and dying.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #136 on: 30 March, 2021, 03:27:34 pm »
GWAN SCOTLAND!

Finn is a god and an idiot!

If Mish isn't confirmed at 7 for the Lions tour then the world is upside down...