Author Topic: TRP Spyre to Hy/Rd upgrade  (Read 824 times)

TRP Spyre to Hy/Rd upgrade
« on: 21 February, 2021, 12:18:07 pm »
My everyday bike is Croix de Fer, equipped with TRP Spyre cable disc brakes. Although they work ok and are easy to maintain, there have been a number of occasions when I yearned for something a bit stronger - at 110kg wet, I take some stopping these days. A change to Swisstop pads improved matters somewhat but the brakes were still a bit marginal and after a few white knuckle moments in the recent weather an upgrade was called for. A change to full hydraulic wasn’t economically viable but I’d read some generally positive reviews about the TRP Hy/Rd system, so an opportunity came by, I took the plunge and bought some. These were a straight swap for the Spyres and an hours work on Sat afternoon saw them fitted and adjusted. I swapped the Swisstop pads at the same time. Plenty of online videos to support the installation and fine tuning, by the way.

The difference is day and night, they feel and are a lot more powerful but progressive and controllable too. A very successful upgrade, not the best looking things for sure but they certainly work.

A

Re: TRP Spyre to Hy/Rd upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2021, 07:20:57 pm »
Yes, yes, yes. Oh joy, oh yes.#

I get to answer a brake thread before Brucey.

Well done, as a heavier rider I've been through the whole evolution from BB7 to Spry to HyRd and totally agree, the HyRd are a great upgrade.