Author Topic: Knickers  (Read 2591 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Knickers
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2021, 06:11:13 am »

I'm informed that they are the drug-dealer's undercrackers of choice.

Who informed you?  Am wondering how that came up in conversation.

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 09:10:20 pm »
Haven't used M&S for decades. Underwear from Uniqlo, especially their Heatech thermal stuff, now available in three grades of insulation.
I have some of that! But the sizes are different from the Uniqlo ones sold here. Mine were presents from MiL, who got worried by Mrs B talking about the (lacking) insulation of 19th century English houses. Posted from Japan.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2021, 09:47:42 pm »
My mother worked till the 80s in the textile industry (until what remained of it vamoosed overseas), mostly as a lockstitcher, but I think she did a bit of everything, for stuff that was sold in places like BHS and C&A (remember those). It meant I grew up wearing wonky seconds. It wasn't great in the UK, low-paid piecework, long hours, poor occupational health, her fingers are messed up with arthritis. So if it was like that in the UK, it doesn't take much imagination to imagine what's it's like in Bangladesh or somewhere similar, making clothes that only retail for a few pounds in the developed world.
Yeah, but compare it with the alternatives & it's clear why young women queue up to work in clothes factories in Bangladesh. Much easier than farm work, & they get paid real money (& good money by local standards) for a steady job, instead of working unpaid on a microscopic family farm, perhaps supplemented by an unreliable pittance for seasonal work on bigger farms.

And it's their money.

The boom in the Bangladeshi textiles industry & millions of jobs for women it has created are credited, among other things, with Bangladesh having overtaken India in quite a few measures of welfare & gender equality, despite still being poorer per head.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 09:54:45 am »
Yes, but that's the less-shit-than-it-could-be excuse that enables us to get cheap stuff in the developed world and then wear it once while feeling like we're doing someone a favour.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 02:14:40 pm »
Haven't used M&S for decades. Underwear from Uniqlo, especially their Heatech thermal stuff, now available in three grades of insulation.
I have some of that! But the sizes are different from the Uniqlo ones sold here. Mine were presents from MiL, who got worried by Mrs B talking about the (lacking) insulation of 19th century English houses. Posted from Japan.
Sizing is different in other markets. I once bought a shirt in Japan, the sleeves didn't reach my wrists!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 03:14:10 pm »
It's sizing and shaping.

Clothes are sold to fit local folk and the market fits local anthropometrics.

I've grumbled elsewhere how trousers etc have evolved over the past few decades.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 05:05:53 pm »
Depends also on the clothes and local market. Western style clothes might be Western sized and shaped, cos they're made for Western markets, in cases where the local market is too small and/or poor or prefers local styles.
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Beardy

• What’s this do?
  • I’ve always wondered where this was
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 05:11:30 pm »
I eventually found jeans that fit me by asking a friend on one of his (then) many trips to the US.  :-[ A well known brand and at least half the price I would have paid in the U.K. I’m not sure what I’ll do once I’ve worn through the ones I have, hopefully I will have lost sufficient weight for U.K. sourced sizes to fit me.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 05:25:29 pm »
Sizing is different in other markets. I once bought a shirt in Japan, the sleeves didn't reach my wrists!

As I'm not especially tall, the far-east is the perfect shopping ground for me.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

« Reply #59 on: Today at 11:35:28 am »
It's sizing and shaping.

Clothes are sold to fit local folk and the market fits local anthropometrics.

I've grumbled elsewhere how trousers etc have evolved over the past few decades.
Clothes sold in Japan are shaped for slimmer people than here .  .  .