Author Topic: Lost Audaxes  (Read 7437 times)

Re: Lost Audaxs
« Reply #50 on: 28 February, 2021, 02:24:50 pm »
I've ridden Bernie's Long Flat one four times as a Perm, the 1st time was in 2011 & John Radford was the organiser, although it was still one of Bernard's Route sheets, the directions for Great Gonerby read something like 'Head south from Doncaster via Retford & Newark' eventually I think John made a few amendments to bring it into the 21st Century.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:05:47 pm »
15 days after that very wet Paris-Brest Precursor, detailed above, I did the Cheshire-Shropshire 200, from Marple (or was it Stockport?).

Like today, it was the last Sunday in February and the sun was BLAZING.

Having pranged my bike frame, I decided to buy a new machine, as I felt duty-bound to ride anything which I had entered. I phoned up my mates, who had a shop in Stockport and got them to set up an orbit Harrier for me, without a saddle.

I packed my kit into panniers, as well as my old saddle. Spent Saturday in the shop fitting & fettling, then set off on my new bike to a B&B in Davenport.

Started a 200km brevet with all of 8 miles/12km on the computer.

Got round without hassle, stopping to tighten a few bolts once.

Lovely day's cycling. Seems I knew how to set up a bike to suit my needs...

« Reply #52 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:31:27 pm »
Another 'lost' Audax that I rode was the Lincoln to Rutland Water 200k which started and finished from Lincoln YH.  I can remember a fast run south with Mick Potts and others but didnt feel hungry at the Little Chef Control at Morcott so I continued and expected to get swept up my the Mick Potts group.  However, I made it to the finish just in time before getting caught.  One of my fastest ever 200's and well inside 8 hours.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 28 February, 2021, 04:43:26 pm »
Lincoln Rutland Water 1994 was, I think, my first 200km brevet.

Taught me not to let water run off the visor of my h*lm*t onto the brevet card, when filling info answers. It was wet.

I don't think there were trains out of the station in Lincoln before midday. Had to kill time in bargain bookshops on Steep Hill.

« Reply #54 on: 28 February, 2021, 05:06:34 pm »
Fishlake, which was the starting and finishing point of the majority of Noel Simpson's events, also suffered from severe flooding a couple of years ago.
The PBP Precourser, which I think was only run in 1995 was an unforgetable experience.

I remember that one.  It was my first event of more than 600.  I was ill immediately before & nearly didn't ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 28 February, 2021, 05:26:03 pm »
Fishlake, which was the starting and finishing point of the majority of Noel Simpson's events, also suffered from severe flooding a couple of years ago.
The PBP Precourser, which I think was only run in 1995 was an unforgetable experience.

I remember that one.  It was my first event of more than 600.  I was ill immediately before & nearly didn't ride.

Uh? The Paris Brest Precursor was a WET 200km February run from Fishlake to Bridlington and back.
Other rides I did from Fishlake in 1995 were the Dales 400, to Appleby & back (on which rob had a crash) in May and the Great Eastern 1000 in early July, which some could use as a 'last minute' PBP qualifier.

BLFO ran from Mencap, Doncaster.

« Reply #56 on: 28 February, 2021, 06:51:40 pm »

Uh? The Paris Brest Precursor was a 200km February run from Fishlake to Bridlington and back.
Other rides I did from Fishlake in 1995 were the Dales 400, to Appleby & back (on which rob had a crash) in May and the Great Eastern 1000 in early July, which some could use as a 'last minute' PBP qualifier.

BLFO ran from Mencap, Doncaster.

Ah.  I definitely didn't ride that.  I saw 'precursor', not 'Precursor', and assumed the Great Eastern was meant.

« Reply #57 on: 28 February, 2021, 06:59:18 pm »
My first ever SR series included:

- A 200km Rocco Richardson from Ruislip on a handwritten route sheet - flat and fast and I rode with Ivo Meisen
- The Denmead 300 (from the Crowsnest - I think it still runs) - Rode large chunks with Richard P
- Andy Utley's (I think) 400 from South of Reading - up to a grass verge near Daventry. over to Chipping Campden, a greasy spoon on a layby outside Cirencester, Hackpen Hill and home
- Teethgrinder's "Easy PBP" from Milton Keynes  which included trying to sleep in a noisy and smoky cafe near Mildenhall

ppg

« Reply #58 on: 28 February, 2021, 07:02:56 pm »
Maldon Madness 400 in 2003

Started (IIRC) on a Friday evening from a pub in the wilds of Essex, my 400 PBP qualifier. Jack and Karl there in a small field.
I gained a partner for the night section as he had left his lights at home and was glad to share mine - Cateye Micros counted as lights in those days!

It probably wasn't the most scenic ride I've done, but was only my second overnight ride and I really enjoyed it, apart from Little Baddow Hill 20k from the end.

ETA ^ The 2003 Denmead 300 was my 300 qualifier!

Re: Lost Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 02 March, 2021, 11:16:05 am »
Another 3, Johnstone wheelers Crianlarich circle and Kirkintilloch round the Katrine run 200 by the Ivy or the Nightingale. Another good 200 was run by the Hawick cycling club.

« Reply #60 on: 02 March, 2021, 11:58:27 am »
In September 2002 I rode the Spa 600 to complete 10 years "Super Randonneurs" to become an "Ultra Randonneur".   The only thing I remember about the event was riding through the night with Steve Abraham telling me some awful jokes.
I don't know if the event was a one off but I never repeated the experience.

« Reply #61 on: 02 March, 2021, 12:19:39 pm »
I can confirm that Steve still tells those godawful jokes.

;D

« Reply #62 on: 02 March, 2021, 01:02:53 pm »
Another 3, Johnstone wheelers Crianlarich circle and Kirkintilloch round the Katrine run 200 by the Ivy or the Nightingale. Another good 200 was run by the Hawick cycling club.

Hawick one still runs... well it would if it could
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #63 on: 02 March, 2021, 03:00:24 pm »
Is it the same route as the original one?

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #64 on: 03 March, 2021, 10:00:45 am »
My first audax was the Johnstone Wheelers Crianlarich circle, rode it in 1983 & 1984.  I dont even like driving that road now, let alone cycle it.  The Daylight has been done for on the same basis. 

Others very much missed -

The Tayside Transgression 300 from Carnbo
The Dave Harris 200, an early season fixture. 
The Three Glens Explorer 160km from Dalmeny and latterly Linlithgow Bridge.  Best event catering of all time. 
Mark Shannons Two/Three Firths 400/600 with a control at his holiday cottage in Colvend. 
Kingdom of Fife 200
The Moneynut Edge, a 200 with a start / finish in Holyrood Park.  I think that last ran in 1995. 

« Reply #65 on: 03 March, 2021, 03:20:31 pm »
Is it the same route as the original one?

Pretty much, except it's now 200km+ as the original was under distance.  there has been a small loop added onto the end

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/36615280
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #66 on: 03 March, 2021, 04:24:27 pm »
My first audax was the Johnstone Wheelers Crianlarich circle, rode it in 1983 & 1984.  I dont even like driving that road now, let alone cycle it.  The Daylight has been done for on the same basis. 

Others very much missed -

The Tayside Transgression 300 from Carnbo
The Dave Harris 200, an early season fixture. 
The Three Glens Explorer 160km from Dalmeny and latterly Linlithgow Bridge.  Best event catering of all time. 
Mark Shannons Two/Three Firths 400/600 with a control at his holiday cottage in Colvend. 
Kingdom of Fife 200
The Moneynut Edge, a 200 with a start / finish in Holyrood Park.  I think that last ran in 1995.

Well that a relief,  no need to run it again. our Awesome 300 and the West Coast 400 used the A 82 to the upmarket contol at the Bridge of Orchy hotel. The rise of the car and Thatchers hatred of public services killed  off some big rides.

« Reply #67 on: 03 March, 2021, 07:15:00 pm »
The Daylight 600 was undoubtedly my favourite event, I was lucky enough to ride it 7 times (94/95/96/97/99/2001/2003).
My notes for the 2003 ride says "The traffic was the worst yet, its even getting bad in the North of Scotland", so I would imagine it is horrific now in the summer.
In '96 I was in a group with Liz Creese and Rocco, one of the local riders referred to Liz as "a living legend".

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #68 on: 04 March, 2021, 04:56:09 pm »
Another lost event---Goose Eye Roses 200k.   14 May 1989.
Started from Heywood Lancashire to controls at Gargrave, Dunsop Bridge and Colden.
It was Gold grimpeur standard---my second audax and quite a struggle.
I entered it again in 1990 but my entry was returned as "only 3 entries; event cancelled".
I guess that word had spread as to the amount of climbing!
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023