Author Topic: Bicycle Quarterly  (Read 1742 times)

Bicycle Quarterly
« on: 26 February, 2021, 05:23:54 pm »

https://www.bikequarterly.com/

Does anyone else read this? Its kind of like Rouler for Audax/ Randonneuring (and around the same price point), but also with articles on cycling history, touring, gravel/ rough stuff, cyclocross and even a little road racing. It seems to grown out of a Fanzine to being a full scale magazine.

I would say theirs a bias towards their own interests and also RenĂ© Herse (which the Editors inherited from the Herse family), but they don't make any attempt to hide the direct link to their other commercial interests.  I guess it's similar to the Rivendell Reader, although I think Jan Heine started BQ before he had his own brand Compass.

Re: Bicycle Quarterly
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2021, 06:19:34 pm »
I have a subscription to BQ and look forward to it arriving through the mail. I find it a great bedside/on the bog read.
Im probably a little biased in truth as I wrote one of the articles a while back on my experiences in TCRno6.  We also had a more recent one published on our new Firefly Rando/touring builds.
It hits the areas of cycling that interest us, is really well constructed and makes a great coffee table mag if you are into that kind or riding.
Yan is quite the maverick in some regards. He doesn't make any secret of the fact that he is promoting his own products. I find him passionate about his craft and quite the lateral thinker.
often lost.

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2021, 07:33:53 pm »
What does Jan reckon to the Open UP?

That is the question I really want the answer to.

« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2021, 08:00:53 am »
https://www.svencycles.co.uk/books-/-bicycle-quarterly

UK importers who are also frame builders

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2021, 12:52:09 pm »
i did go to read his blog few years ago, but due to too many hmm.. "improvised facts", decided it's not worth my time - i must be one of those close minded cyclists who's stuck in their old ways.

i saw him (i think) riding out of carhaix on pbp'19 on my way back to paris, with a large bar bag and fat tyres (easy things to spot).

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2021, 01:50:57 pm »
I've read his blog articles, they're misleading by omission of facts. Eg the ultralight steel framed French-style touring bike, claims no carbon parts but in fact had loads of titanium bits inc BB, sprockets as well as normal ti parts like seatpin etc, and every dubious weight saving trick under the sun. Of course the ti parts are listed in the small print (spec list) but are not mentioned in the main article.

Basically, his articles are to promote and sell his products.

« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2021, 06:17:21 pm »
I have a subscription to BQ and look forward to it arriving through the mail. I find it a great bedside/on the bog read.
Im probably a little biased in truth as I wrote one of the articles a while back on my experiences in TCRno6.  We also had a more recent one published on our new Firefly Rando/touring builds.
It hits the areas of cycling that interest us, is really well constructed and makes a great coffee table mag if you are into that kind or riding.
Yan is quite the maverick in some regards. He doesn't make any secret of the fact that he is promoting his own products. I find him passionate about his craft and quite the lateral thinker.

I would agree Jan is a Maverick. He's quite proudly going against the industry grain. And actually some of his retro grouch tendencies make sense to me.

I would disagree with those saying he's trying to hide anything by say adding a load of ti or that he's got a hidden agenda towards steel. He makes it quite obvious he's a weight weenie, in fact I can source articles where he quite openly discusses that. As for the agenda of selling his stuff he's quite open about that, but I would say unlike a lot of the industry he actually puts his research out there. He's also happy to test and ride carbon, just even if he gives it top marks,  he'll always point out he prefers the feel and longevity of steel. He's clearly very technically and critically minded having worked for Race Face and having been a journalist before doing his own thing.

I've gone from steel to alu, to carbon and back to steel. I've broken every alu and carbon frame. I'm also about to stop using hollowtech cranks because I've had 3 bottom brackets and 2 cranksets in 8 years. If my Robert's could fit wider tires than  32 I would.

I've had an interest in 650b since living with a frame builder/ mechanic who was no filter or bullshit. He does not suffer fool gladly and would have no bones in calling Jan out if he thought he was outright wrong. I've never run better clincher tires than his in terms of performance and they are more puncture resistant than the grand bois or Challange I've also run.

I think if you approach what he's saying realising he openly uses his blog/ magazine as sales tool.

I initially dismissed Ronnie "Ultra Romance" in the same way people are dismissing BQ/ RH. I thought he was pretentious. But then I realised Ron Whateverhisnamereallyis had a very infectious sense of humour and irony. He makes no bones about he's just doing what the early mountain bikers, especially Charlie Cunningham and Jacquie Phelan did and also the pre/ post war Randonneurs. A lot of the stuff he does works and with good reason, its simply practical.

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2021, 11:04:58 pm »
I have a few issues of BQ and you can see that effort went into making them.  Effort also went into making the BHPC magazines, which are much cheaper though.
My big issue with BQ is the "science", namely that they drape articles in the trappings of science (references, citations, etc) but they are self published non-reviewed articles that self reference, which is textbook BAD SCIENCE.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace