Author Topic: Nederlandse Dubbele 200 (Double Dutch 10th anniversary) Easter Saturday  (Read 3844 times)

GdS

• I'm from the factory
Entries are live and going like chocolate Easter Bunnies grab 'em before they melt!

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=8926&Evno=21-555

GdS

• I'm from the factory
full! please email to be put on a reserve list

dod

Is the route on AUKweb definitely passing this year's tulip fields? I can't make the ride on the Saturday so I'm planning a ride on Easter Monday to see them.

GdS

• I'm from the factory
Is the route on AUKweb definitely passing this year's tulip fields? I can't make the ride on the Saturday so I'm planning a ride on Easter Monday to see them.

Not sure; I know where they were 2 years ago but haven't found them yet, got a local man on the ground  :)

The route on AUKweb is the normal route, I'm expecting the tulips to be about 10k E of Kings Lynn. Due to Covid the growers are being a bit cagey about revealing the location

GdS

• I'm from the factory
 If I find the location it will only be revealed to entrants on the ride (not being snotty I just think they would like to keep it secret this year for obvious reasons) but I will PM you  :)

Is there a way for those who haven't signed up in a group to be allocated based on speed?

For reference, I intend to average somewhere around 28kph moving speed and am happy to have 4 more people in my group. Post here or PM if you want to make a group..

I think the grouping of 6 is for starting purposes only. Personally, I will ride at my own Audax speed and won't be riding to match/accommodate the other 5 that I start with. The organiser is being very accomodating by allowing rider to request a group.

Whereas I'm planning to ride at my own speed and not expect those who start with me to accommodate me ;D

Fair enough to both of you. I was more just posting because I'm looking forward to being able to long rides with people again and with the restrictions I figured it would be better to try to start with people I would stick with the whole time. I guess in the end it'll just end up being that the starting group splits up and I do a mixture of solo/group riding as I typically do on Audax rides.

Either way, I hope you all enjoy the ride!

GdS

• I'm from the factory
I think the grouping of 6 is for starting purposes only. Personally, I will ride at my own Audax speed and won't be riding to match/accommodate the other 5 that I start with. The organiser is being very accomodating by allowing rider to request a group.

A bit of both, I've allocated nearly half the times based on requests from riders. I did record times in 2019 as it was a BRM, I'll go through and try to group up any similar speed / same finish time any loose riders (well it is Cheltenham week!) who are also doing it this year  :)

Riding with others will be a difficult one. We’ve all got used to pretty much solo non stop rides.  Last year I got my 200km audax stop time down to about 35 minutes.  Which is quite remarkable compared to how long I usually spend stopped.   I’m not on this one, but sure I’ll see a few of you at audaxes later in the year.

I did a one way 200km DIY Audax ride from home to Kings Lynn in November just before lockdown 2. I hope the winds are kind to you.

GdS

• I'm from the factory
I did a one way 200km DIY Audax ride from home to Kings Lynn in November just before lockdown 2. I hope the winds are kind to you.

^this

I didn't really design the route to take into account the wind but thought it would avoid E and W headwinds, turns out the wind in those parts is either N or S! I've had riders pack at KL because of the wind, they would not be consoled by the prospect of a stonking tailwind all the way back.

2016 was an event that will be scarred on many riders' memories due to the fierce S wind on the home straight I have never seen such broken faces at the finish, I luckily rode the day before but still got a headwind all the way round.

I also remember a year when it was a terrific battle to get to the old top turn at Holbeach St Matthew, then we flew to Spalding and got decent help all the way home.

I've been in some great groups on the way into March, really helpful. They tended to break up there while people went to different places for refreshments. I did get in a good small group once most of the way to Lynn, but generally I've plodded almost alone. Up to Holbeach I've often seen other riders, without necessarily forming a group.

It's good to ride together if you can, but only if I can find other full-value riders, otherwise I'm holding on and holding others up :)

Hi Martin ,I’m not bothered what group I’m starting with because it’ll all depend on the wind how fast I’m going around it ,looking forward to it as always 👍

GdS

• I'm from the factory
Just found this

https://www.norfolktulips.co.uk/

it's dated 2020 but it says yet another year so I suspect it still applies

In light of the fact that they are asking people to stay away I think it's appropriate to avoid them this year and try again in 2022. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole road is closed when they do appear

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
I didn't really design the route to take into account the wind but thought it would avoid E and W headwinds, turns out the wind in those parts is either N or S! I've had riders pack at KL because of the wind, they would not be consoled by the prospect of a stonking tailwind all the way back.
If you call your event "Double Dutch" then stonking headwinds are a requirement  ;D

And an incomprehensible route sheet. Massive fail there, then.

Errm.

I think Drossall missed an emoji.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
And an incomprehensible route sheet. Massive fail there, then.
😁😁 Many moons ago I was on a 600 in Belgium and had to knock on doors to find someone who spoke English to translate the routesheet. Inevitably I found someone who spoke English but didn't understand the routesheet. The delights of audax 🤔
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Errm.
I think Drossall missed an emoji.
I used a deadpan emoji.

I was out on a DIY 200 today that took me north of Huntingdon.  The wind was blowing strongly and firmly from the south and west.  Fingers crossed the wind turns neutral for you guys at weekend.

Thanks for organising this Martin.  It was good to get out on a nearly normal calendar event for the first time in over a year.

The NNE wind was a bit tedious at times but it delivered for the run home.

Nowhere does bleak quite as well as the Fens!

I tweaked the route a bit to feed my obsession for Veloviewer tiles.  (Un)fortunately the Beers of Europe shop at Setchey was shut for refurbishment so I wasn't tempted to make the small diversion to stock up  ::-)

GdS

• I'm from the factory
Thanks; a few riders used the wrong car park but as they've hidden the right one due to flyover demolition not surprising and my trusty helper directed them to the right place.

The most challenging outward headwind I've ever known but those who persevered to Kings Lynn had the best of it after that apart from up to Guys Head. Hope nobody was deterred by the closed road at Moulton it was actually open until the required turn after the windmill which did look magnificent!

Sign of the times Springfields was not full of Easter weekend shoppers but rather staff clocking off from the Covid testing site

I was last back tout seule as my two charges found the headwind a little too character building.

Hopefully tulips next year but the Guys Head section will be removed

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
I enjoyed that, thanks Martin.

First Audax run out for my new on-board sound system! Normally I ride on my own but a 3up from March to KL was a welcome change and the other 2 didn't complain about the mix of 70s glam rock with C&W  8)

Great to be back riding Audax events, although it feels like my body has yet to become accustomed to the distance once more. The wind and slight overgearing (74" instead of my usual 70") had a minor impact too.

Thanks for putting this on Martin ... and for dropping in the easter bunny alongside each card.

Eddington: 130 miles