Author Topic: Nederlandse Dubbele 200 (Double Dutch 10th anniversary) Easter Saturday  (Read 3845 times)

I actually found Guys Head the hardest. Getting to Lynn wasn't too bad. I was helped a bit when my assigned ride partner caught me soon after March, having started late while winding up his Garmin, and we did bit-and-bit for a while till he dropped me. Leaving Nordelph, I found a toe cover (sort of a truncated shoe cover) in the road. It clearly belonged to another rider, so Martin, I left it in the postbox at the end - hope it gets claimed.

I liked the new route into Lynn, which seemed more sheltered - not sure whether that was enforced by roadworks. A couple of other riders kindly joined me along that section, in a socially-distanced sort of way, but having people around was encouraging.

I did stop off for some quick pictures at the cathedral of the marshland, though I didn't stay long enough to walk round to the best views. Even with the shortened loop, though, I found it was this section, with its repeated turns into the wind, that took most out of me.

Rolling along through Crowland and back down to Huntingdon remains my favourite section of this ride. It seemed to go reasonably quickly this time. I was pleased just to have got round, when nearly everything I've done all winter has been on Zwift. Real life is much better :thumbsup:

GdS

• I'm from the factory

I liked the new route into Lynn, which seemed more sheltered - not sure whether that was enforced by roadworks.

No it was the way the tulip route was supposed to go so I kept it that side of the Great Ouse (which is the scene of the Boat Race today although much further South and completely private)

A big thanks to psyclist and Elliot for keeping everyone safe at the start

plus our own bunny finish controllers!

I paused under Crowland Trinity Bridge yesterday; apparently it was located at a point where the River Welland split in times of old. Compare it to the huge waterway that now exists nearby and it's a testament to the drainage of the Fen

The toe cover was mine ,I was wondering why my right foot was freezing 😂😂😂

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
One of Martin's wayward wards... My track record at the moment isn't great 🥴

I built a dynohub wheel in Jan which had since gone a bit wobbly wobbly so on the train up I gave it some TLC.

Of course what happened next was that as soon as I put some weight on the bike it went completely pringle and  the only thing to do was send Martin and our pal off, loosen all the spokes and start again. 15 minutes later by some fluke I had the truest wheel I've ever built. Trained up to PBoro then rode across to March to meet the team. We pushed North for another 20k or so and felt happy enough but I was clearly off the pace and folk were disappearing into the distance, so did my sums and rather than keep folk out till midnight decided to cut my losses. Sadly for Martin, our pal elected to come with me. We are not worthy. I was very pleased to be out for the day though, about 100k for me all in.

Nice to see the bunnies at the start. Thanks to Martin for organising and company. 😎

The Big Saxon and the Straggler were reunited after a couple of 100s in August and December, Big Saxon has been bodybuilding but The Straggler has not been out much, so the stretch to Kings Lynn sapped his legs. Went into Greggs, jobsworth lady told Raymond to wait outside in the cold as there were four in the shop, not noticing that two were a couple breaking the one adult rule posted on the window. I asked about hot food and she just said she had warm food. Not a happy bunny. So out into the cold to eat, visited by mummy and daddy duck, and the option to bale was also averted.

The next section started badly, body temperature was down, wind chill going through the body, and thoughts of a bale out resurfaced. Once we got warm the semi tail wind helped, enjoyed the daffodils and soon we were at Spalding, knowing that we had 60km of tailwind to come. Into MacDs, ate on the grass outside, visited again by mummy and daddy duck, not the same ones. By then no open toilets was becoming an issue, there are not many trees in the Fens.

We flew south and built up time, a sit down outside the Abbey, and a couple of tree stops before the welcome descent into Huntingdon with 54 minutes to spare. By then I was shivering uncontrollably, and even with my car heaters on full I had to stop on the way home, fall asleep and wake up warm. Soon recovered and played football for my Sunday team the next morning, slight problem with shirts as they are all medium and Big Saxon is a muscular 2xl.

Tour de Stour 100 next Saturday will be easy in comparison, but DD is always special, my first 200 after the heart attack, or training injury as I prefer to call it. Thank you to Martin and helpers for making the effort to put on the event, we are pleased that we did it justice.   

The next section started badly, body temperature was down, wind chill going through the body...
I had a similar experience. I'd been warm enough into Lynn while pedalling, but it took me a few miles to warm up again when leaving. Then I was stuck on Huntingdon station for half an hour, as trains were messed up by overhead line problems. Fortunately my train arrived just as I began the real shivering, teeth-chattering thing.

Went into Greggs...
First time I've ever been in there three times in a day - March, Lynn and Spalding. By the time I reached the third of those, they'd run out of soup, but coffee was fine as a replacement.

Noticeable how empty of people the centres of the last two were. Much more so than our small town, which is more comparable to March.

The Big Saxon and the Straggler were reunited after a couple of 100s in August and December, Big Saxon has been bodybuilding but The Straggler has not been out much, so the stretch to Kings Lynn sapped his legs. Went into Greggs, jobsworth lady told Raymond to wait outside in the cold as there were four in the shop, not noticing that two were a couple breaking the one adult rule posted on the window. I asked about hot food and she just said she had warm food. Not a happy bunny. So out into the cold to eat, visited by mummy and daddy duck, and the option to bale was also averted.

The next section started badly, body temperature was down, wind chill going through the body, and thoughts of a bale out resurfaced. Once we got warm the semi tail wind helped, enjoyed the daffodils and soon we were at Spalding, knowing that we had 60km of tailwind to come. Into MacDs, ate on the grass outside, visited again by mummy and daddy duck, not the same ones. By then no open toilets was becoming an issue, there are not many trees in the Fens.

We flew south and built up time, a sit down outside the Abbey, and a couple of tree stops before the welcome descent into Huntingdon with 54 minutes to spare. By then I was shivering uncontrollably, and even with my car heaters on full I had to stop on the way home, fall asleep and wake up warm. Soon recovered and played football for my Sunday team the next morning, slight problem with shirts as they are all medium and Big Saxon is a muscular 2xl.

Tour de Stour 100 next Saturday will be easy in comparison, but DD is always special, my first 200 after the heart attack, or training injury as I prefer to call it. Thank you to Martin and helpers for making the effort to put on the event, we are pleased that we did it justice.   
Great report. Sad I missed this, but I was staying with my dad up in Yorkshire (not seen him since Christmas Day). Hope to do a ride with you soon!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

GdS

• I'm from the factory
the welcome descent into Huntingdon with 54 minutes to spare.   

sounds like you were about 20 mins ahead of me, I didn't see any blinky rear lights ahead on the Eternity section after Whittlesey

GdS

Our tree stops were along the Eternity section and on the climb out, so we were probably a bit more ahead, and started at 8am. Only saw a handful of riders all day, and none at the finish. Not unusual for us, but for the staggered start we would have been around our normal place of Lanterne Rouge.   

Good fun reading these stories. I'm terrible and names and faces (sorry), so I often wonder if I met the authors along the way. The tradition in my first club was to identify people by their bikes - for example, we had a Claud who had once owned a Butler and never shaken off the name. So, in that spirit, mine was the blue, newly-resprayed Dawes with red trim, and any mentions of others bikes', in this or other Audax threads, would be interesting.

GdS

• I'm from the factory
If anyone was wondering what the other flag on my car (and later bike) was it's Norfolk. There was a sign just before Nordelph saying Welcome to Norfolk Nelson's County but gone now. There was a Norfolk flag flying near Watlington on the route check 2 weeks before but it had been replaced by the Union on the day. Saw a Lincs flag fluttering somewhere on the way back either Crowland or Thorney.

Also saw quite a few RAF flags on houses on the section to March, the whole route passes many former and current RAF sites but wasn't sure  what the occasion was recently. I was very lucky to do a route check a few years ago on a Friday and saw a Tornado over RAF Holbeach

With the Genesis in for service my steed for the day was my red, white and black EMX-1 carbon, sporting Campag Record and black nylon Carradices front and back. Outfit for the day was ACME winter jersey, X Bionic bibtights and Sidi red vernice shoes. 

I'm afraid I was one of the few who bailed :-[ , finally giving up at Spalding.  I'd stopped at Moulton for some chips (which were most excellent) but the short distance from Moulton to Spalding confirmed that my bum/saddle interface had not recovered its pre Covid toughness and would significantly lengthen the final 50km back to Huntingdon.

The characteristic of the ride for me was not so much the headwind but the windchill factor.  I know this was quite significant as I got cold feet quite early on despite wearing thick socks and winter boots.  The p fairy visited somewhere between March and Nordelph and during repairs I had to relocate behind a solid gate to a farmyard because of the chilling effect of the wind.

It did feel good to be out on a longer ride again and I look forward to re-presenting next year with a much improved 'interface'.

GdS

• I'm from the factory
sorry freeflow I got your text whilst relaxing at Crowland. You missed the (for me) best section of the river front of Spalding then the Wellland Bank to Crowland.

Not sure how I'm going to include this next year as well as the tulip fields, they really are a long way N and E of the normal route to Kings Lynn; maybe I'll take it to the Isle of Ely instead? and call it Ship of the Fen

Oh yes, as I may have said, I think Spalding-Crowland-Huntingdon is the best bit. Would be sorry to lose that. But new roads are always interesting.

GdS

• I'm from the factory
Oh yes, as I may have said, I think Spalding-Crowland-Huntingdon is the best bit. Would be sorry to lose that. But new roads are always interesting.

That section won't be lost just maybe replaced next year  :)

I've done this ride successfully on four previous occasions. The river bank after Spalding is a really delightful part of the ride. It's the section from Thorney to Ramsey St Mary that gets me. Such that I strongly consider taking a jigsaw to while away that section of the ride :demon:

GdS

• I'm from the factory
The toe cover was mine ,I was wondering why my right foot was freezing 😂😂😂

please PM your address and I'll post it back  :)

As a Lincolnshire lad, I way reasonably confident of dealing with the headwind on the fens.  My strategy was to keep moving as much as possible as I usually get cold when I stop and find it really difficult to get warm again.  Given that indoor stops were precluded I'd decided to push on if I felt OK.  I started at 07:40 and the wind wasn't as tough as I feared - I think the strength increased for the later starters.  I made March and got a lovely sausage bap and hot coffee from Greggs and sat on the bandstand to polish them off before the cold penetrated.  Post breakfast, I again got a nice steady rhythm and still felt good at Kings Lynn so got a receipt for a choccy bar and pushed on.  Wind was tough and more gusty up to Guy's Head and I was grateful for the aero bars which I have for hand comfort more than aerodynamics.  After Lutton, I found a steep sided drainage ditch that was totally protected from the wind and had a lovely 20 minute break to eat my sandwiches and pork pie - the sun even shined for a while.  I still felt strong so pushed on to Spalding and stopped just to get a ATM receipt.  Then it was heaven back to Huntingdon.  I barely seemed to be turning the pedals, it seemed like the bike was moving my legs up and down - what a lovely experience to get speeds in excess of 20mph for so little effort and I was back in Huntingdon unbelievably soon having been pushed along for 60kms.  This was my fastest ever 200 at 8:15 riding time.  To celebrate, I drank the flask of hot tea I'd left in the car and finished my sandwiches before driving home.

Thank you Martin for a great event - I gave my little chocolate rabbit to a small child who waved to me in Spalding whilst I waited for him and his mum at a zebra crossing - a lovely moment too.