Author Topic: Census thread for discussions about the census  (Read 14056 times)

Re: Census thread for discussions about the census
« Reply #150 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:31:38 am »
No "atheist" box on my paper form nor on the pdf, and I'm sure the online form didn't have it either.

ian

« Reply #151 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:57:18 am »
It's quite possible they take the opportunity to do some a/b-type testing, that produces useful data in itself (what proportion tick atheist in preference to no religion etc), and of course, that informs future census design.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #152 on: 23 March, 2021, 10:01:25 am »
Are you in Wales, PhilO? Or Northern Ireland?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Davef

« Reply #153 on: 23 March, 2021, 10:02:57 am »
No "atheist" box on my paper form nor on the pdf, and I'm sure the online form didn't have it either.
It only appears for believers.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #154 on: 23 March, 2021, 10:04:53 am »
;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #155 on: 23 March, 2021, 11:11:26 am »
Promising to tell the truth in court is still a thing. You can swear on the holy book of choice or affirm your honesty in non-religious fashion.

The virtual court hearings of course have to have the non-religious affirmation only.
in person hearings presently wrap the religious book in a plastic bag which at least in my view makes it a case of swearing on the plastic bag.  This is now my new religion of plastic bag

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #156 on: 23 March, 2021, 11:56:41 am »
If ever I get called as a witness I shall be sure to take my copy of The God Delusion :demon:

[“That smiley is inappropriate” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #157 on: 23 March, 2021, 01:14:25 pm »
Are you in Wales, PhilO? Or Northern Ireland?

Wales.  Just outside Newport to be precise - I could probably give you wave on a clear day. :-)
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #158 on: 23 March, 2021, 10:41:28 pm »
If I put Jedi on the census, does that mean I can swear an oath on a VHS of A New Hope?

I didn’t and I wouldn’t, just wondering ;)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #159 on: 24 March, 2021, 01:05:26 am »
If I put Jedi on the census, does that mean I can swear an oath on a VHS of A New Hope?

I didn’t and I wouldn’t, just wondering ;)

No, putting “Jedi” on the census means a permanent crick in the neck from looking over your shoulder for Democratic Ruthless Bastards Party secret policemen :demon:

« Reply #160 on: 26 March, 2021, 11:59:50 am »
On Monday of this week I had a visit from a man  from (I think) the ONS, to check whether or not I'd completed the Census.
I explained that I'd completed the one which was addressed to 'Lower Flat', I thought there little point in also completing the one addressed to 'Ground Floor Flat'.
He agreed, made some notes and left.
This morning the postman delivered another Census form addressed to 'Ground Floor Flat'  ::-)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #161 on: 26 March, 2021, 12:06:06 pm »
I'm still waiting for one addressed to the non-existent Paul Bowen who lives in the non-existent basement/upstairs flat/grannexe/shed at Larrington Towers.  Shame, I was looking forward to reinventing him as a 93 y/o Jedi with three wives and twelve children.

« Reply #162 on: 31 March, 2021, 02:40:45 pm »
On Monday of this week I had a visit from a man  from (I think) the ONS, to check whether or not I'd completed the Census.
I explained that I'd completed the one which was addressed to 'Lower Flat', I thought there little point in also completing the one addressed to 'Ground Floor Flat'.
This morning the postman delivered another Census form addressed to 'Ground Floor Flat'  ::-)
Young woman from the ONS called earlier today, asking whether I'd completed the Census as their records show that I'd not.  ::-)
See the post I've quoted for my response to her.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #163 on: 31 March, 2021, 04:20:04 pm »
Young woman from the ONS called earlier today, asking whether I'd completed the Census as their records show that I'd not.  ::-)
Next week:
"I'm calling from the ONS about the census return for Ground Floor Flat, Mr Jurek, and I'd just like to check a few answers with you. You say that you're 112 years old and you live in Ground Floor Flat with your six wives, seven ex-wives, fifteen concubines, 64 children and 39 grand-children. You give your occupation as 'cocaine trafficker' and your first language as Amharic. Is that correct?"

"አስተያየት የለኝም"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #164 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:15:09 am »

Postman has just delivered yet another Census form addressed to Ground Floor Flat.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #165 on: 01 April, 2021, 11:20:09 am »

Postman has just delivered yet another Census form addressed to Ground Floor Flat.
A census taker once tried to test me...
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #166 on: 28 February, 2022, 04:55:55 pm »
Got my census letter today. ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #167 on: 28 February, 2022, 06:05:39 pm »
Dr Davis* is happy, though, because the details of the 1921 Census have recently been made public, thereby ensuring a continued supply of history for professionals such as himself :thumbsup:  Even though he’s officially retired…

* Professor Larrington's husband

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #168 on: 02 March, 2022, 10:09:29 am »
Scotlandland census letter just arrived.

Go to www.census.gov.scot and click START.
If you cannot complete online, request a paper questionnaire at www.census.gov.scot/paper

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #169 on: 02 March, 2022, 12:21:59 pm »
My letter has also arrived.
But I cannae read it cos it's in a forin leid and yon native ain ah dinnae ken...

« Reply #170 on: 20 March, 2022, 07:15:19 pm »
Census day, and mine is done.