Author Topic: Flag watch  (Read 3100 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Flag watch
« on: 08 March, 2021, 07:16:50 pm »
Following on from this post I caught a trailer for The Great British Menu. There's a dessert of some kind with a tiny Union Flag stuck in it. The flag is upside down. <Twitch>.

I'd get out more, but everywhere is closed.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: Flag watch
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:10:50 pm »
The cook is Obviously in distress or a meghan   fan .
Its More Fun With Three .

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2021, 08:41:30 pm »
Always amusing to see a Brexitty type flying it upside-down from a flagpole in his back garden.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2021, 09:22:30 pm »
I've no idea which way is the correct way. It's really just this fact that's stopping me becoming a racist. The uncertainty of the matter. I get out, espouse the cause for white supremacy, and then I find out that my flag is upside down and what the fuck. I'm suddenly woke and even Lozzer won't retweet me.

« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2021, 01:27:14 pm »
Following on from this post I caught a trailer for The Great British Menu. There's a dessert of some kind with a tiny Union Flag stuck in it. The flag is upside down. <Twitch>.

Recently folk have started objecting to the historical term 'jack'.  I just looked up which is the right way up.  I do this when prompted by someone complaining about an inverted jack, and forget within an hour. 

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2021, 01:49:54 pm »
It's a pretty stupid design: it might as well be symmetrical.  It's not as if it's one of those banana republic flags with little AK-47s on it.

https://worldflagsgraded.com/ratings.html

Still one of the best things on the internet.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2021, 02:01:57 pm »
Haha! Needs updating – several flags have changed – but I like the comments about St Lucia and the Marshall Islands.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2021, 02:08:47 pm »

Recently folk have started objecting to the historical term 'jack'.  I just looked up which is the right way up.  I do this when prompted by someone complaining about an inverted jack, and forget within an hour.

Bozo's expensively re-liveried plane has the Union Flag upside down on the starboard side of the tail.  Looking at the flag the top right quadrant should have a thin white bar above the red bar, a thicker white bar below.  It is the opposite on the top left.  The bottom quadrant of the flag on either side is in the same format as the top quadrant above them.

AIUI, jack is the term used for maritime purposes, flag for land lubbing is my understanding.  I think the slang Jack Tar refers to reserve seafarers.

« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2021, 02:17:21 pm »
It's only a 'jack' when it's flown from the jackstaff of a warship (Jackstaff is the little pole up at the sharp end). It can be flown as a courtesy flag by foreigeners but that should be from the starboard yardarm or spreader on the foremast - then it's the Union flag.

HTH
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2021, 02:31:03 pm »
Bozo's expensively re-liveried plane has the Union Flag upside down on the starboard side of the tail.  Looking at the flag the top right quadrant should have a thin white bar above the red bar, a thicker white bar below.  It is the opposite on the top left.  The bottom quadrant of the flag on either side is in the same format as the top quadrant above them.

There's a precedent for reversed logos on large vessels with the old Sealink ferries; the British Rail double arrow was, uniquely, reversed on one side of the funnel.

Excellent photo here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealink#/media/File%3ASealink_ferries_Horsa_and_Maid_of_Orleans%2C_Dover%2C_1973.jpg

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2021, 02:41:41 pm »
It's only a 'jack' when it's flown from the jackstaff of a warship (Jackstaff is the little pole up at the sharp end). It can be flown as a courtesy flag by foreigeners but that should be from the starboard yardarm or spreader on the foremast - then it's the Union flag.

HTH

Everyone knows what 'Union Jack' means, and the use of the term has the added advantage of annoying pendants  :thumbsup:

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2021, 02:46:57 pm »
has the added advantage of annoying pendants  :thumbsup:

I see what you did there.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2021, 03:26:05 pm »
ITYM "annoying pennants".

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:41:36 pm »
Having looked at Roger's link, the Greenland flag is a pretty annoying pennant.

« Reply #14 on: 09 March, 2021, 04:55:15 pm »

HTH

There is a merchant navy Union Jack; it's a square Union Flag with a white border.

« Reply #15 on: 09 March, 2021, 05:41:34 pm »

HTH

In the UK 'jack' came to refer to all flags.  It even appeared in official descriptions.  It's only in the last 20-30 years that people have felt the need to 'correct' this usage.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2021, 06:40:57 pm »
Except on the 8th of March, when it's a Union Jill.  :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2021, 08:28:11 pm »

Surely it's inevitable that any design painted on one side of a tail fin, with its mirror image on the other side, will generate a 'wrong' image?

The Union flag is not radially symmetrical and this is the predictable result.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2021, 08:47:07 pm »

Surely it's inevitable that any design painted on one side of a tail fin, with its mirror image on the other side, will generate a 'wrong' image?

Upsidedown-ness is wrt to the flag pole/hoist though. The Flag Institute say of painted flags:
When flags are painted onto a vehicle, or on the tail fin of an aircraft, the flag on the port side should show the obverse of the flag (ie. the flagpole on the left), while that on the starboard side should show the reverse (ie. the flagpole on the right). On surfaces perpendicular to the direction of travel (eg. the back of the vehicle) the obverse of the flag should be shown.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #19 on: 10 March, 2021, 10:29:44 am »
No-one tell the Flag Institute* about Sealink ferries!

*I bet their Christmas party is a right humdinger

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #20 on: 10 March, 2021, 11:14:46 am »
Was bored while waiting to get into our depot at Stafford a while ago!
https://goo.gl/maps/JZdUZPj6zoid7dks6

Did the same to a local company and the next day it was put up correctly  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 10 March, 2021, 12:50:10 pm »
No-one tell the Flag Institute* about Sealink ferries!

*I bet their Christmas party is a right humdinger

Some vexillologist won Mastermind with a record score a few years ago.  The chap's knowledge of flegs was astonishing but I don't think I'd have liked to be stranded on a desert island with him.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22 on: 10 March, 2021, 01:49:00 pm »

Upsidedown-ness is wrt to the flag pole/hoist though. The Flag Institute say of painted flags:
When flags are painted onto a vehicle, or on the tail fin of an aircraft, the flag on the port side should show the obverse of the flag (ie. the flagpole on the left), while that on the starboard side should show the reverse (ie. the flagpole on the right). On surfaces perpendicular to the direction of travel (eg. the back of the vehicle) the obverse of the flag should be shown.
So it should be painted as if the flagpole was at the front and the flag flying behind it in the slipstream of the plane, as if it would do if it were a real flag. Far too sensible!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 10 March, 2021, 01:49:56 pm »
Having looked at Roger's link, the Greenland flag is a pretty annoying pennant.

I rather like it. Plus, it's distinctive and says "sun rising/setting over snowy land".

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #24 on: 11 March, 2021, 10:17:02 am »
Sorry I'm late, I was having trouble with my anorak, the zip got stuck in my woggle.

Left & right have no meaning on a flag, just ask the wind. As Tim says it's the relationship with the flagpole that matters.  The rule about thick white bits vs thin has never stuck for me, there's nothing to base it off, you just have to remember. Instead I remember that the red should connect with flagpole at the top. If the red bit is on skyhooks adjacent the pole it's obviously going to fall off.
Code: (Red connected = good) [Select]
._.
| ||\
| || \
| |\  \
| | \  \
Code: (Red to sky(hooks) = bad) [Select]
._.___
| |\  \
| | \  \
| |  \  \
| |   \  \
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.