Author Topic: Rowing and running machines maybe cross trainer  (Read 4638 times)

Re: Rowing and running machines maybe cross trainer
« Reply #25 on: 14 January, 2021, 05:45:45 pm »
Otherwise my magic list would be (in no particular order). Wattbike Atom (for Zwift/etc). Concept 2. Weights machine (bench, with ability for pull down stuff and knee stuff). Kettle bells. Gym mat.

We have
fancy smart turbos
C2 rowing machine
squat rack with a pull down bar
Kettle Bells
Gym Mat

From a time POV I spent, according to Strava, in 2020
264hr on Zwift
9.5hr rowing
14.5hr weight training (We got the rack in August)
12hr pilates

I don't row when I'm doing a weights program and I am much better at going to pilates when I'm going to a class where they notice if I'm there or not.

I think it's clear to see where the money is best spent. (in a pandemic)

« Reply #26 on: 14 January, 2021, 08:39:20 pm »
We have a Nordic track treadmill, it's a high end model and is used in a similar way to using a smart trainer like a Wattbike. Good for the following, rehabilitation, getting started, specificity, tracking progress. Convenient. I was skeptical when my wife bought it for herself 2 years ago. I'm a regular runner and have been for decades and the treadmill doesn't replace outdoor running but rather compliments it.

« Reply #27 on: 14 January, 2021, 10:13:37 pm »
Had a look for walking treadmills to go under a sit/stand desk. There are some silly prices but the entry level stuff seems to be about £300 for motorised ones that go up to 6kph.

https://origympersonaltrainercourses.co.uk/blog/treadmill-desks
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #28 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:13:50 am »
We have a rowing machine folded up in the garage, been like that for a couple of years! I thought it would be a good idea but never got on with it.  I think it's one of these if it's of interest...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STRIALE-SR-909-Magnetic-Rowing-Machine-White/dp/B009SOU8R4
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2021, 10:35:02 am »
We have a rowing machine folded up in the garage, been like that for a couple of years! I thought it would be a good idea but never got on with it.  I think it's one of these if it's of interest...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STRIALE-SR-909-Magnetic-Rowing-Machine-White/dp/B009SOU8R4

Once I have created some space, could I at least borrow it with a view to buying it off you if it works for us?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #30 on: 15 January, 2021, 01:14:19 pm »

Once I have created some space, could I at least borrow it with a view to buying it off you if it works for us?

Yes of course  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #31 on: 15 January, 2021, 01:28:23 pm »

Yes of course  :thumbsup:

Fab, I'll be in touch, obvs I'll wait until lockdown is over.

« Reply #32 on: 29 January, 2021, 07:29:22 am »
We're moving to a new house with a garage.  We won't be using it for car parking so among a few uses it'll be a home gym. It's practically double car length so plenty of room.

Current unused kit includes a cheap tacx smart turbo with my old road bike on it. We've been promised a high end x trainer which was left in the house family bought. We've got a few fixed weight dumbbells and kettlebells. I got a door situp thing but they're useless.  Bar is too high to hold my feet in position. Better off with feet under bed,  sofa or other heavy furniture.

Recently I bought a set of those resistance tubes with hand, ankle and door grips. They're actually quite good. The effort gets harder the more stretched they get.  It means a gradual build up in the weight being lifted plus you're using it full cycle without being able to swing your weights like dumbbells and other free weights.  Of you've ever been to a gym you'll see young lads lifting weights too heavy for them to use good form and truly benefit. They swing their body and the weights not really getting the benefits. If you're in any doubt about that effect use your usual dumbbell weight on a preacher curl pad. If you find it no difference from free curls then you're probably using good form. If you can't curl your usual weight it's too heavy,  drop the weight and learn good form.

I bought those band things because decent dumbbells and barbells are harder to find these days. I'm now a convert. I'll still get bench,  weights and rack one day but they will do for now.  Good because I need to build up first.

I'm on the list fit a c2 model d. The pm5 controller is worth the money.

« Reply #33 on: 29 January, 2021, 01:07:48 pm »
The reason I chose a rower over any other CV equipment is that it's a full body machine and the most effective for your CV workout. Years ago when I was a regular at a gym I never seemed to get anywhere fitness-wise. Plateaued out. I was using a bike with increasing resistance levels using its internal training option. I could sit on the bike for an hour and only just feel like I'm getting enough exercise.

Treadmill? Ok if it's got a long enough track for you but  I've never found one in gyms I use that isn't just long enough for walking pace.  My old gyms I've used over the years I was walking pace with lead foot just missing cover at the front of the track and lifting my trailing foot just on time having felt the rear roller underfoot. Running pace is not possible. I'm only 196cm tall.

Imho  in terms of CV exercise my order of efficiency is good rower,  versaclimber type of kit,  stepper, treadmill and last static bike.  That's my experience and at my last gym they kept trying to get me away from the bike and onto the rower, c2 obviously. I had a trapped nerve type of pain after 10 to 26 minutes on the rower so it became the stepper. It was amazing because after that re-program I noticed an improvement in fitness within a few weeks. It really made a difference IME.

I'm thinking I need more weights based exercise routine than I currently have. I've got a few aches which i reckon will disappear with strength training. It's one thing to concentrate on fitness to do things but strength training gives you additional health benefits CV training alone doesn't.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #34 on: 29 January, 2021, 02:36:46 pm »
I have been thinking for years about getting a rowing machine for when the roads/tracks around are too stupid to ride on. The few times been in a gym, the only thing I have enjoyed was the rowing machine. Can't be arsed to lift things on repeat and that isn't the style of "fitness" I'm looking for either. I want to be fit, but I don't want to be looking at clocks and graphs every 30sec for that extra push at 66% of a fifth of the 8th repeat of 10 [insert your own weight/distance/height/thumb unit] to win the ruler of the world.

So I just had a little look around on tinterweb, which led me to here.

The one everyone says, according to the general gist of all the reviews I have read, is to get is the Concept2 Model D, normal cost £860 on their own site.

But then virus arrived and EVERYONE wants to be fit at home by the look of it.

The Model D are now going elsewhere and on fleabay for 1100+ second hand even £1425 new !!!

Even the model C that they stopped making in 2003, left overs from closed down gyms are that have been battered for years, is going for more than the new and shinny model model !!!

All the other models/companies people are saying to get if you cant get the Concept2 (because of stock or money) are also on 10-15 weeks back order

This tells me that when we are out on the other side there will be rowers going for cheap and people will have loads of place to hang clothing to dry :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #35 on: 29 January, 2021, 02:46:22 pm »
to anyone wanting a C2 (and who could blame you :D)  try https://www.londonyouthrowing.com/contact

apparently they have a load they bought just before lockdown and are selling them at standard list price.  They're an awesome charity too.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #36 on: 29 January, 2021, 03:25:00 pm »
They are out of stock - if you look at this tweet - https://twitter.com/LYRowing/status/1350080298839535622?s=20 where they link to this page -  https://www.londonyouthrowing.com/shop/concept-2-rowing-machine also this - "You can either collect the rowing machine(s) from our base at the Royal Docks (E16 2QT) or pay for us to deliver them to you (Greater London only)" you need to be in the smoke to get one :)

« Reply #37 on: 29 January, 2021, 05:03:50 pm »
They are out of stock - if you look at this tweet - https://twitter.com/LYRowing/status/1350080298839535622?s=20 where they link to this page -  https://www.londonyouthrowing.com/shop/concept-2-rowing-machine also this - "You can either collect the rowing machine(s) from our base at the Royal Docks (E16 2QT) or pay for us to deliver them to you (Greater London only)" you need to be in the smoke to get one :)

someone I know elsewhere got one from them last week.. Definitely worth an email!

and I'm sure a regular courier would pick up and deliver to the frozen North :D

« Reply #38 on: 18 March, 2021, 01:10:31 pm »
After spending far too long making my mind up, I decided to take the plunge and buy a Concept2 model D. I looked on eBay but, apart from the cost and difficulties involved in collection/shipping, the prices are silly. I looked at the Concept2 website and it said there was an 11-week waiting list. I had dithered for so long, what difference would another 11 weeks make? I signed up, and began to get a weekly notification of the date on which I had signed up, and a reminder that there was a 15-week waiting list. (What happened to 11? I never found out.) After 15 weeks I got an invitation to make my purchase - no charge for delivery, but the earliest day for dispatch was a week hence, and then another week in transit. A total of 17 weeks. It arrived last Saturday and I'm looking forward to getting my money's worth out of it for some years to come :-)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #39 on: 18 March, 2021, 01:20:19 pm »
Tomorrow I will have waited 6 weeks and the delivery of the waterrower I ordered six week back, should arrive (if the emails/txt from the shipping company is correct).

now what, put it in the corner of the room and hang clothing to dry on it?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #40 on: 19 March, 2021, 12:14:11 pm »
Well true to their word it arrived today and it managed to put it together and added water without any leaks.

Boy is this one quiet, not like roving on water for sure, it does sound a bit like water in a bucket, you could nearly use it in a library. Compared to the mechanical high whining fan noise I have heard on all these youtube videos. I know I wouldn't have lasted long with a C2, it wouldn't be hours before I would have gone spare and stopped using it. I just don't know how people can handle that sound, even with tunes turned to 11.

Do I have to become fit now?

« Reply #41 on: 22 March, 2021, 11:45:33 am »
the waterrower sound always made me need a wee!

the best (shortest, clearest) video I found on technique is on the concept2 site here: https://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/technique-videos  they explain in 2 minutes what others take 30 to do, with hardly a word wasted.  There are also some good ideas on their for 'workout of the day' page that will all work fine on a waterrower!

(and if it feels like your knees are coming up too high, sit on a folded towel to lift your bum by an inch - whenever I use a WR in a gym it feels like the feet are slightly too high compared to the seat in comparison to a C2, or perhaps that's just me...)