Author Topic: Any experiences with Thule child seats?  (Read 778 times)

Any experiences with Thule child seats?
« on: 13 March, 2021, 11:51:33 pm »
Senior daughter is thinking of getting one of these for taking my grandson out for rides  https://www.thule.com/en-gb/child-bike-seats/rear-mounted-child-bike-seats/thule-yepp-maxi-_-12020253?fbclid=IwAR0q66D7T0vR3MaqprkM-Xza4r_3fELRceQYy_0Jp7yrmTNmwyqa8CpG70g
As itis some years since I had anything to do with this sort of thing so can anyone with more up to date experience pass a comment  (good or bad) on this one? Cat says that they have generally good reviews and I wouldn't expect less from Thule stuff, it being generally upmarket (at least in my eyes).

She is planning to put it on a Decathlon Elops 520 which is a bike that I don't know (may even be a model specific to UK) but which will undoubtedly be heavy, solid and have crap wheels and ungreased, maladjusted hubs. The weight won't be a great deal after the addition of perch and squiggly toddler. It would be nice to be there to deal with the necessary preliminary fettling but circumstances are against us. The bike does have the merit of being in stock on line in a large size

Re: Any experiences with Thule child seats?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2021, 02:24:57 pm »
There are other seats that mount on the bike's top tube so that the child sits between the rider and the handlebars. Much more pleasant for the child, and easier to control the bike, IMO.

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2021, 05:04:21 pm »
There are other seats that mount on the bike's top tube so that the child sits between the rider and the handlebars. Much more pleasant for the child, and easier to control the bike, IMO.

The preferred bike has a lady's frame - no top tube. I won't go into the reasons why! Cat is going for the style of seat that she and her sisters grew up with and that worked very well for them and I wouldn't try to persuade her otherwise (I would probably be wasting my time). I just wanted opinions on the Thule seat, positive or negative, since I am no longer up to date.

I am aware that there are also seats that go over the front wheel, I think favoured by the dutch. I am not discussing them either!

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2021, 05:48:10 pm »
I think a pal had a Thule child seat; no complaints AFAIK. We had a Hamax (well two - second-hand from someone in the local twins club), which worked well, and could be quickly and easily removed. They look to be about half the price of the Thule new.

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2021, 10:35:42 pm »
We have a hamax siesta, which has a similar seat tube style attachment. I've got on with it well. Depending on the bike, any like this can make it very top (and back) heavy. I don't know about the thule one specifically, but I really like the ability to recline the seat for napping children (otherwise you get a fair bit of uncomfortable looking sleep). At first sight the thule you linked to is missing this. Also, the hamax seems a lot cheaper!

« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2021, 08:56:33 pm »
My child seats (from over 20 years ago) were always the cheaper end of the scale but solid and they gave me no problems either. I am not sure I would have wanted something that tilted though, my kids would always sleep anywhere (including on the pillion of a motorbike on a couple of occasions, in movement!) and, being always at the large end, keeping the weight forward rather than back was always the objective for stability.

I think that has all answered any queries I might have had so thank you all for the input, very useful

Cheers Jo

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2021, 03:35:13 pm »
I had one fail (release mechanism knob got knocked off, it wasn't the only thing that fell off iirc), replaced under warranty but sold it as bnib as I really didn't like the very thin flexy straps. Hamax and bobike ones I've used have been pretty bomb proof by comparison. Nice colours etc but not worth the extra cost imo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)