Author Topic: Tipping Tradesmen  (Read 5144 times)

Tipping Tradesmen
« on: 24 March, 2021, 10:58:18 am »
We are having the outside of the house painted by a local painter/decorator (long overdue!!) and they are doing a good job, taking care and being nice as well.

We are wondering whether we should tip them on top of the invoiced amount and if so how much?  10% would be a considerable amount given the quote, but would £50 (there are 2 men working) be an insult?

What is the norm for this?

Thanks

R

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Tipping Tradesmen
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:02:43 am »
Gosh, I must be a cheapskate then.  For us it is usually £10-£20 per bod. Depending on length of job and cheerfulness of bods.

ETA. Or nothing at all for a sole trader doing a quick job.
Employees are more likely to be tipped by us.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:05:02 am »
£25 paid to the tradesmen directly for above and beyond would be well appreciated.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #3 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:05:34 am »
You're supposed to tip?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:07:20 am »
I read the title and thought this was about unlicensed waste carriers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:07:25 am »
I don't tip,

In fact I hate it, state up front how much you want for the work and I'll decide if I want to take you up or not.

I shouldn't have to offer cash to reward good service, that's what I'm paying for.

Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:09:45 am »
I can't say I tip. There's a bloke out the back with a chainsaw right now though. I should probably tip him. I know how the Texas Chainsaw Massacre plays out.

But generally, I'm anti-tipping, I can't say I'd normally do it. I'm already paying them to do a good job.

« Reply #7 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:36:47 am »
If I use a company that sends employees out to do the job - e.g. house removals - I would tip the individual.  If I use a one man local business then I think it would be very strange to tip him, or the mates who he has drafted in to help.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:38:32 am »
I can't say I tip. There's a bloke out the back with a chainsaw right now though. I should probably tip him. I know how the Texas Chainsaw Massacre plays out.

But generally, I'm anti-tipping, I can't say I'd normally do it. I'm already paying them to do a good job.

I wouldn’t worry about it; the bears will get him before you have a chance to tip.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:40:23 am »
We tipped the removal men (and supplied tea) but nobody else - we also don't supply tea for builders/workmen (at the moment that's partly Covid related) either.

ian

« Reply #10 on: 24 March, 2021, 11:52:06 am »

I wouldn’t worry about it; the bears will get him before you have a chance to tip.

I dunno. He's seriously called The Angry Beaver. That's an unfair Canadian rumpus if ever there was one. Beaver versus Bear.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #11 on: 24 March, 2021, 12:42:34 pm »

I dunno. He's seriously called The Angry Beaver. That's an unfair Canadian rumpus if ever there was one. Beaver versus Bear.

Well I have absolutely no sympathy; if you let some who calls themselves The Angry Beaver on to you property to wield a chainsaw then you get what you deserve.

« Reply #12 on: 24 March, 2021, 03:39:52 pm »
Never tipped a workman.  They charge me a fee and I pay.  My wife provides copious tea and coffee with cake on any job that extends to a Friday.  I think some are wise to this and only turn up to start on Thursday to get the Friday cake.

« Reply #13 on: 24 March, 2021, 03:48:24 pm »
Have only ever tipped removal men. They have a lot of heavy lifting to do, so don't mind*.

*Only if they haven't broken anything.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: 24 March, 2021, 04:33:27 pm »
Don't think I've ever tipped a workman; I think before this post it wouldn't have occurred to me. I suppose I might if they had gone 'above and beyond', say working through atrocious weather to finish on time.
My way of acknowledging work is to pay promptly once it's complete (as a one time self-employed person I can remember having to chase up invoices that were weeks or months overdue). 

« Reply #15 on: 24 March, 2021, 04:46:41 pm »
I usually tip people who deliver heavy stuff such as white goods & flatpack kitchen units,  but then they've had to carry it up 8 flights of stairs!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #16 on: 24 March, 2021, 05:40:12 pm »
I'm a builder, trained as a bricklayer in 1979/80. Build extensions and structural alterations etc. We never expect tips and am surprised when people offer. Now tea is a given, heavy manual work requires gallons of tea, full fat milk as well and forget caffeine free. Just make them tea, it keeps us going. If you don't tip, there's no quandary about how much

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:01:11 pm »
Last time we had builders in, I gave them a tip.

The tip was: "Never darken my door again."
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #18 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:42:01 pm »
I tip wage slaves who go over and beyond, that's about it. Taxi drivers are a special case, don't ask me why.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:47:44 pm »
I don't know either, but I always tip taxi drivers. Very generous ones on the airport run (back in the day), mostly because I'm expensing it and I think of that as wealth redistribution.

One thing I don't miss about the US is the crazy tipping culture.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:51:56 pm »
Now tea is a given, heavy manual work requires gallons of tea, full fat milk as well and forget caffeine free. Just make them tea, it keeps us going.

I got a flea in the ear for using UHT milk by a joiner (we don't take milk in drinks so it's mainly used in cooking).

When I was getting a new bathroom fitted while we were away on holiday one year I left him a new jar of coffee and a full packet of chocolate biccies which he seemed to appreciate.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2021, 06:54:44 pm »
Etiquette is that you don’t tip the owner of a business, but you may wish to tip their employees.
I don’t entirely go by this these days. Regular service givers ( milk, post, regular parcel deliverers get, say a decent wedge at Christmas because they all go over and above.
Other regular tradespeople, who all, to be honest all go well over and above, get “ a drink with me” say £20 or a bit more.
It’s a bit feudal, but we’re rural here, and goodwill goes a long way.

« Reply #22 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:09:19 pm »
Not exactly tipping, just an appreciation - every once in a while I give the bin men a bag of cakes, usually doughnuts from a decent bakery.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:52:46 pm »
You're supposed to tip?

News to me.  AIUI not having to worry about tipping left right and centre is one of the few remaining good things about being BRITISH.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #24 on: 24 March, 2021, 08:04:07 pm »
You're supposed to tip?

News to me.  AIUI not having to worry about tipping left right and centre is one of the few remaining good things about being BRITISH.

Indeed - having been to the US loads of times it's really annoying with the tipping culture - especially when the "server" tells you how much to tip! * 

One Christmas Night we went to the bar in the Rainbow Room in NY and they added 3 yes THREE tips to the already extortionate cost of a couple of pre-dinner drinks (one for the server, one for the barman and one for the "bell captain" whatever he might be)  At least, later, in the restaurant it was just the one tip.

As a complete contrast we were surprised when in Australia & New Zealand this time last year there was a clear no-tipping culture.

* at a mid-range restaurant in Hilton Head, S Carolina we had such an awful meal and very surly waitress that we didn't add the 15 or 20% to the bill.  She actually chased us to the car swearing at us (I half expected a bullet)