Author Topic: How many unread emails in your inbox?  (Read 2713 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
How many unread emails in your inbox?
« on: 29 March, 2021, 05:10:10 pm »
As per the title, and are they totally unread or just counted as unread even though you’ve glanced at the beginning of it in the list and dismissed it mentally. And is your personal email account better or worse than your work account?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: How many unread emails in your inbox?
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:18:56 pm »
Work: 37 total, 6 unread

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:21:17 pm »
971, across a number of in boxes

I go through them about once a month, I'll have read the important ones.

Beardy, you neglected to give us your number!
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:22:19 pm »
Zero.  I tend to read them relatively promptly, and leave them in the inbox until dealt with, before filing.  There are a couple of read emails in the inbox awaiting my attention.

I have a few thousand unread emails in other folders, but those are mailing lists and the ham[1] folder.

[1] Solicited advertising from organisations I have a relationship with, as opposed to spam.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:28:56 pm »
971, across a number of in boxes

I go through them about once a month, I'll have read the important ones.

Beardy, you neglected to give us your number!
I did, didn’t I?  ;D
Oh, ok then.
The current count is 2409, but that includes ham, some spam and mailing lists. The mail client for Apple mail on iOS is shocking and if there is a way to use a third party mail app on iOS with Apple mail I’ve not managed to find it. I’ve not looked recently though. I don’t use the iMac often enough to try and set up the Apple mail client on there.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:33:52 pm »
Just had a look at my Gmail. Looks like about 15,000 unread messages. Nearly all spam. I've given up trying to hold back the tide. I don't look at Gmail every day though - I just check in occasionally, filter out the important stuff and ignore the rest. I've had 12 new messages today from Linkedin alone. I never open those. I should probably change the settings on my account but CBA.

I had about 50 unread messages in my work inbox this morning, but that's because I had a week off. Zero now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:38:34 pm »

It's my one OCD trait.  I cannot stand having any unread email in the inbox.

Email comes in, I read it.  If I need to action I open in another window.  If it's crap, it gets binned, if it is useful but needs no action it gets put in a folder for reference.

Each cow-orker that I have regular contact with gets their own folder in my email and I deal with their emails in a similar way.

Work, currently: 0 Home, currently: 0
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:44:06 pm »
IIRC from barakta's information manglement degree, there are two types of people: those who file everything neatly using folders, flags and things, and those who wang everything in a single folder and rummage through it to find things.  (There's an orthogonal axis for people's ability to use the software effectively, eg. to automagically categorise incoming mail, or to search for things.)

Proper Email Clients beloved of Old Internet People were designed for the former, and then in the mid-2000s Google came along and used their search engine technology to make email work really well for the latter.  As someone who uses folders extensively, I find gmail's approach infuriating.  (Also because it hates automatically generated emails, and likes nothing better than to chuck the messages from cron warning you of an impending disk failure in the spam bucket.  In the interests of equal opportunities ranting, Thunderbollocks's ongoing failure to IDLE on folders properly is another point of consternation - maybe all *your* new mail arrives in the inbox, but mine frequently arrives elsewhere.  Sort it out, devs.)

Of course, when everyone's required to use Outlook for ork purposes, you get the worst of both worlds.   ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:52:32 pm »
Proper Email Clients beloved of Old Internet People were designed for the former, and then in the mid-2000s Google came along and used their search engine technology to make email work really well for the latter.  As someone who uses folders extensively, I find gmail's approach infuriating.

I'm also the former, but I've come to accept that Gmail will do its own thing regardless of how I try to manipulate it. Anything important gets tagged in case I want to be able to find it again later, otherwise I just have to cross my fingers and trust in the search function.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2021, 05:55:23 pm »
Proper Email Clients beloved of Old Internet People were designed for the former, and then in the mid-2000s Google came along and used their search engine technology to make email work really well for the latter.  As someone who uses folders extensively, I find gmail's approach infuriating.

I'm also the former, but I've come to accept that Gmail will do its own thing regardless of how I try to manipulate it. Anything important gets tagged in case I want to be able to find it again later, otherwise I just have to cross my fingers and trust in the search function.

I avoid the Google cleverness entirely by forwarding to my own mail system.  TBH I only use gmail for my google account, testing things, and receiving other people's emails.

« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:04:44 pm »
Who knows ...

I really cannot be bothered to check.  I get all sorts of crap from all sorts of sources including email notifications from tapatalk about people posting here, YouTube notifications in the email account that I let Google annoy me with, crap from spammerz, old clients wanting to offer me money to work again, generous benevolent folk offering me lots of money if I help them process a big payment, etc., etc., etc.

I quickly glance, check stuff from known sources that I would usually want to read then just allow the mail client to delete them after 30 days.

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:10:50 pm »
:thumbsup:

Spam gets deleted
I never get notifications
Mailing lists and shop crap always gets unsubscribed and/or spam-filtered

My inbox is my to do list. Once it’s done it gets archived.

« Reply #12 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:12:32 pm »
Zero

See above.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:13:22 pm »
1 that I know of.  Yahoo! Does! Not! Play! Nicely! With! Thunderbird! these! days! so Stuffs that have passed through the filters and moved to the appropriate folders automagically on the “always on” machine do not necessarily show up as unread on the one that actually gets used for reading them.  Found one this afternoon that had actually been sent last Thursday >:(

ETA:

Like zis:

Thundercack by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:31:37 pm »
About 450.
I've not been willing to read/sort most since about 10 March.

I'm dealing with important mails.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:13:51 pm »
As a gnarly, foul-mouthed misanthrope, none in my personal inbox. If I wanted messages from the internet, I'd pretend to be a girl.

Probably about a million at work because I'm on holiday. Even automated systems send me emails. I'm not sure what they get out of my responses, but I like to think an ineffable sense of validation.

« Reply #16 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:26:27 pm »

As with others, I'll read it immediately, it then stays in the inbox for action. Once I've done what is needed, it's filed into a folder. Some of my work emails need to be saved onto the document management system. Generally I try to save the last email in a chain, so it's just the one email for a particular issue. Emails that I definitely won't need again are just deleted. I also use different coloured flags and the function to set reminders on specific emails.

I get about 60 work emails a day, so if I left them sitting in the inbox I'd never find the ones that needed attention later.

« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:27:38 pm »
Zero at both work and home.
I 'want' to have both inboxes actually empty, but I've never achieved that at home and managed it for about a day at work.
Maybe I'll go and have a filing blitz once I've finished reading YACF...
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #18 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:28:29 pm »

It's my one OCD trait.  I cannot stand having any unread email in the inbox.

Email comes in, I read it.  If I need to action I open in another window.  If it's crap, it gets binned, if it is useful but needs no action it gets put in a folder for reference.

Each cow-orker that I have regular contact with gets their own folder in my email and I deal with their emails in a similar way.ŷ

Work, currently: 0 Home, currently: 0

Snap.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:30:36 pm »
None in the inboxes. About 5 that have been glanced at and moved to spam or deleted.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #20 on: 29 March, 2021, 08:57:27 pm »
After a holiday I delete all emails sent whilst I was away.  Apart from those from my boss. If I’m copied on an email I’ll have quick read then delete. Unread hovers around zero.

« Reply #21 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:06:28 pm »
Billions.  I read very few emails.  Somehow it doesn't seem to matter.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #22 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:41:01 pm »
None.

For my own email, I use the empty inbox approach so that my email is like a (short) to-do list. The Gmail snooze feature is useful for this. Updates and promotional stuff are kept very limited by unsubscribing.

For work, I only get a few types types of emails: ones that are things I need to answer or do, generally soon, so I do them or reply asap, and emails about things coming up, which go into the calendar, or info. Useless info: bin. Useful or potentially interesting info: I look at it, and add it to a list of urls / reading list which I keep very short. Some of these I read at home.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #23 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:51:57 pm »
0 at work and home.

At work I flag anything needing actioning so that I remember to do it later.
Home stuff I pin using the app I use (Spark) so I know these are needed for future reference.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24 on: 29 March, 2021, 11:03:24 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.